Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Not hired for being fat.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
McDonald's didn't hire someone cause he was fat. Do you think stores, restaurants have the right to hire someone based on apperance or creating a certain look?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=817&ncid=716&e=8&u=/ap/20030417/ap_on_fe_st/mcdonald_s_sued

Comments

• Options
    McDonalds have the right to hire (or fire) anybody they choose.

Though I don't feel a company has the 'right' to discriminate in terms of gender, race, sexual orientation, etc.
  • Options
    He claims that being obese does not effect his physical capabilities to undertake the job. Well, I believe it might, if he is large enough to be classified as having a disability.

Did McDonald's actually tell him that they weren't hiring him because he was fat? If so, how stupid can they be? :rolleyes:

Shouldn't this be in anything goes rather than politics?
  • Options
    It got into the laws...that's why I put it in politics. At 420 pounds, he would resemble something from a theme park. And McDonald's just had a law suit and publicity regarding its food making people fat.

I just wonder if he could fit in some of the spaces McDonald's makes people work in.
  • Options
    Surely a fat guy would scare costumers off. I mean "oh look, this is what I am gonna look like if I continue my habbit of Junk food".
    I feel sorry for him, though I really don't know why he'd get a job at such a tempting and unhealthy place regarding food.
  • Options
    I wonder how many companies hire on appearance. Although he's very big.
  • Options
    I do generally think that appearance has a huge impact in behind the counter and service jobs, where costumers do get to see you.

Have you ever seen computer technicians, engineers and so? Many of them are the most unorganized and unpresentable people you'll see. Why should they care? They know what they do, and don't need to present themselves, only their work.
  • Options
    My dad got hired based - partially- on his looks...he's in advertising. He gets over on people with them too. But he's a decent world culture liberal. Maybe he'll grow out of it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    My dad always goes to interviews in suits which cost more than half of my wardrobe put together, and then when he's got the job he always finds out that everyone is wearing simple jeans and shirts.
    Though, his looks really doesn't have to do with anything. Except from when he travels to promote the company and work with partners.
  • Options
    Yeah, I went with my dad into NYC on a train. And lot's of people look like a certain, sophisticated type. 'Cept me. I had my sunglasses on in the dark. Dad just rolled his eyes.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    Yeah, I went with my dad into NYC on a train. And lot's of people look like a certain, sophisticated type. 'Cept me. I had my sunglasses on in the dark. Dad just rolled his eyes.

I'd have done the same :p

Seriously, I don't get it.
  • Options
    I think it was so funny how people reacted to sunglasses at night. Some old lady looked like, "poor dear" he must have eye trouble. Some younger guys looked like "fuck you trying to look cool." That was my favorite reaction.:p
  • Options
    Seriously, sunglasses at night or in the dark seriously is the one of the dumbest things... :p
  • Options
    Hee. That's why I wear 'em.;)
  • Options
    Ahhh, how deliciously ironic. The company that is responsible for more cases of child obesity than anybody else in the world finds obese people not suitable for employment.

I wonder what the obese person's diet consisted of? Any chance he's been feeding on McShite burgers all his life, and the company was embarrassed to hire a living example of what such shit food does to people?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Ahhh, how deliciously ironic. The company that is responsible for more cases of child obesity than anybody else in the world finds obese people not suitable for employment.

I wonder what the obese person's diet consisted of? Any chance he's been feeding on McShite burgers all his life, and the company was embarrassed to hire a living example of what such shit food does to people?

That was what I said :p
  • Options
    how deliciously ironic.

Aladdin, I'm really don't think that it is in anyway appropriate to be using the word "delicious" in a thread about McDonalds, do you? ;)

BTW Good to see you back. NYC treat you well?
  • Options
    Yeah, thanks. Very nice time. 4 inches of snow when I flew in, but a week later we were baking in 28 C temperatures.

Great city, great people. Not a single restaurant selling Freedom Fries though. I was greatly dissapointed. ;)
  • Options
    Great city, great people.

The Americans had all left for their hols then had they? Or is NYC just an example of what is great about an immigration policy?

;)
  • Options
    I think it's more of a confirmation of what pnj was saying recently about Americans seeing New York as a modern day Sodom. ;)

Many thought the missus and I were British- despite my Spanish accent- and engaged in conversation all the time to let us know what their favourite part of Britain was.

I was surprised to see a lot of anti-war graffiti on the streets and a general disconnection from the gun-ho "Support Our Troops" movement seen elsewhere.
  • Options
    No company is responsible for obesity Aladdin, child or adult.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Surely a fat guy would scare costumers off. I mean "oh look, this is what I am gonna look like if I continue my habbit of Junk food".
    I feel sorry for him, though I really don't know why he'd get a job at such a tempting and unhealthy place regarding food.

but IT IS there food that is making someone be obese, i honestly wouldnt have a problem with a large person serving me, it doesnt make me change my mind wanting to eat something from whos servign me, people know the risks from eating junk food before they partake in entering the building and consuming the product.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    No company is responsible for obesity Aladdin, child or adult.

Agreed. It is down to the individual to choose, and in the case of children, it is the parents responsibility. Blaming a company for it is an unfortunate outcome of modern society, in which everyone else is to blame for everything that goes wrong in the world, and by God, I'm going to sue them for it! Everyone (well, everyone with a couple of brain cells to rub together) knows junk food is bad for you. It's not like the manufacturers put one of the most addictive narcotics known to man into their product to get you hooked, and then lied about it. [/rant]

Besides, I'm not worried so much about the fat content of McDonald's as the hygiene issues. I hear that people who've worked there are a little reluctant to eat there....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Darth Fred

Besides, I'm not worried so much about the fat content of McDonald's as the hygiene issues. I hear that people who've worked there are a little reluctant to eat there....

No one who has worked/works there, eats their food. I haven't eaten their burgers for months, due to the horror stories I've heard. Can't shut it out of my head. Though I do eat their ice creams :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    No one who has worked/works there, eats their food. I haven't eaten their burgers for months, due to the horror stories I've heard. Can't shut it out of my head. Though I do eat their ice creams :D

You want a horror story? On a British satirical quiz show, "Have I Got News For You", one round is the odd one out, where contestants have to pick out which of four people or items is the odd one out (surprisingly enough). In one such round the four items were (as I recall) raw sewage, e-coli bacteria, a nematode worm, and the back half of a mouse. Three of these four had been found in McDonalds restaurants. I believe the odd one out was the worm, but I remember the back end of the mouse was actually found in someone's food at McD's, not just on the floor. :yuck:
  • Options
    McShite

Aladdin you mispelled it. The new burger that will be all the rage in Baghdad will be called the McShi'ite. :lol: