Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drying Mushrooms..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'll be getting my hands on quite a few mushrooms next weekend, an amount that I will no way get through myself in a couple of weeks, so I need to know some quick, efficient methods for drying them and retaining as much of the potency as possible.

It really would not be funny at all if I were to find them two days later all mouldy and floating in a pool of their own moisture :eek2:

Comments

• Options
    I'd check www.erowid.org or the shroomery if I were you, you will lose a bit of the strength of them in the process, but if you do it correctly not much.
  • Options
    you know those lil tupperware boxes u get?.. take one of those and some metal mesh u can get from halfords and make a tray in the shape of a table so that it stands on its own without the top of the mesh being near the bottom of the tupperware

... hard to explain, so if if ur confused get back to me about it in a PM ill send a lil diagram because i love my diagrams :p

Then get some silica crystals (u can get them in home shops.. they use them for damp etc) and cover the bottom of the tupperware in it. Put the musshies on top of the mesh and close the box. Be absolutely sure that the shrooms cant touch the silica becasue its dangerous. But this method is great... give it a go!
  • Options
    How long would they take to dry out completely using that method lil_minx? I think I might put them in a very low oven and leave them to dry in there for a few hours, because I need to do it as efficiently as possible in as little time as possible.

Alternatively, how easy will they bruise? Say if i had to take a small bag's full to a mate's house across the other side of town, will they almost definitely bruise on the journey there? Or go mouldy?! Eeek, that wouldn't be good.
  • Options
    Im no expert on shrooms.. and the only ones ive come into contact wth are the Amazonian strain, so it may work differently depending on the strain.. i dont know! But ive found that if youre going to move them when wet they will almost certainly bruise, even touching lightly will bruise Amazonian ones at least. The method i told you will take a good few days, its certainly not instant. (but its the best that i know of) Dont put them in the oven to dry off. Thats one of the worst things u can do, u want to draw the moisture out not cook them. But like i said, im no expert so i had a look on the net for you for a site to help you out.

The Shroomery

Did you grow them yourself in a contained environment, using spores? If you did go back to the head shopw here u bought the spores and they should be able to tell you your next step.

Im stil learning myself.... so i cant tell you everything im afraid, but i really really wouldnt put them in the oven!
  • Options
    From erowid.org:

Warm Oven : For the quickest drying, mushrooms can be put into a cool oven (approx. 90° F) with a fan on if possible. Allow to slowly heat for 2 - 6 hours. Careful not to heat too hot as temperatures higher than 160° F can destroy psilocin. Some believe that this method will reduce the potency of the mushrooms.

It may reduce the potency, but not by much I doubt (all drying reduces potency anyway).
    I didn't grow these myself, but they did come from a Cubensis growing kit. I woul keep them fresh, but if they bruised or went mouldy, it would be horrible, because I will have to take them to a friends house via bus :rolleyes:
  • Options
    i dont think id want to put them in the oven, even after reading that id be scared id lose potency too much. I personally wouldnt worry about them bruising too much my main reason for drying would purely be for the taste... well if my method isnt right for you keep lookig and i hope u find one that is :)
  • Options
    Cheers :)

Anyone else had any experience with putting them in a very low oven?!?! Stupid idea?

And as for bruising, if they do bruise, does that make them useless or are they still edible?
    Carrying them fresh would be best ideally.
  • Options
    They do bruise a little, you'll see them turning blue around the edges.
    You will loose a little of the strength but its not like they will become useless really quickly, unless you subject them to a lot of heat. There are very few drugs that will decompose really quickly if just left a dark, cold and dry place.
  • Options
    Freeze the damn things. That way no loss in potency and they will keep for months. Why does everyone insist on drying? Its just NOT necessary!