Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Wave Goodbye to Abu Hamza...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So Blunkett's new law, allowing the removal of British Citizenship from those with dual nationality, as lead to the Home Secretary telling Abu Hamza (the blind, hook-handed muslim cleric) to leave the country.

Here's you chance to say "goodbye", or tell us why you think this would be a bad thing...

Comments

• Options
    So ANYBODY who has dual nationality can be expelled (even those born in the UK)?

Personally I don't think he should be repatriated simply because he exercises his freedom of expression/speech.
  • Options
    In Denmark, when getting Danish citizenship, you have to give up your current one. That's why it's funny that my mom is "Danish", while me and my brother have a dual citizenship.
    Though at the age of 18, we have to choose.

I'll choose the Danish one, and then when I'll be in Israel get an Israeli one. And TADA I've got two citizenships.

Though the rule doesn't apply to diplomats or so. My moms friend, never had to give her first one up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    So ANYBODY who has dual nationality can be expelled (even those born in the UK)?

Personally I don't think he should be repatriated simply because he exercises his freedom of expression/speech.

No, if they are born here then they are automatically British citizens, and that cannot be changed.

This law applies to those who take British citizenship at a later date. It's a priviledge granted by the Govt.

Personally, I believe that Abu Hamza has abused this priveledge, not through the use of free speech but through the incitement of racial hatred.

Why should we put up with him?

You od know how he lost his hand and eye, don't you?
  • Options
    From a moral point of view Id say goodbye and good riddance, but I fear it is a deeply worrying encroachment on civil liberties. It means a Home Secretary can forcibly expatriate any person eh or she sees fit, without legal recourse. And that is deeply disturbing.

I speak as someone with dual citizenship, who could quite easily be kicked out if someone took a dislike to me. I was born in Australia, so have an Australian passport, but I only have a UK passport cos my parents are English. I could be kicked out if I understand the law correctly, yet I am English, my entire family is born in England.

David Blunkett is dangerously restricting freedom; in this case for the greater good, but it is legislation that could come back to haunt a lot of people. Its a slippery slope from here...and all this from a country that founded the ECHR. Its disturbing.
  • Options
    Are you sure this law applies to you Kermit?

I thought it only applied to those without an automatic "right" to cotzenship, which is what you have...
  • Options
    I don't have any problem whatsoever with Abu Hamza or anybody else being stripped of their UK citizenship if they are stirring racial hatred. Good riddance.

We will need to watch carefully though, to ensure this type of measures are not enforced on those who speak out against Britain or the government but do not engage on racial hatred.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Are you sure this law applies to you Kermit?

No, but I know just how intentionally sloppy this Government is when it comes to legislation...all thsoe self-serving loophoels dont write themselves.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No, but I know just how intentionally sloppy this Government is when it comes to legislation...all thsoe self-serving loophoels dont write themselves.

You may be being too hard on them. "Never blame malice for what can adequately be attributed to stupidity." Although in the case of this government, it's probably a little from column A and a little from column B...
  • Options
    goodbye captain pugwash! good riddance. and that other fat bastard who runs the ****** should be next. he has preached nothing but hatred against the english people and our way of life since he got here. but he likes the two council houses that have been knocked into one, to house him and his 10 kids. this in my book is called taking the piss. if we don't get rid of him i'm sure some bnp skinheads will do the job for us soon.
    don't tell me ...he has special police protection! i had to come back and edit this one. not often i do that but it may have been a little er....well not alowed.
  • Options
    I find this law to be utterly unacceptable and i am also confused as to why you lot support it, do you not feel it gives the govt to much power?

Or do yuo think that the govt should be allowed exceptional power over foreign people because they may be more dangerous than Brits, why the hell is that?

Remember that Hamza has not been found guilty in a British court of law for the crime of incitement to hatred (though you seem to treat him as guilty)

Now I realise this guy has some foul views but don't you agree that a court of law is the place to decide such things, not he mind of our lovely right-wing home secretary?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    I find this law to be utterly unacceptable and i am also confused as to why you lot support it, do you not feel it gives the govt to much power?

Or do yuo think that the govt should be allowed exceptional power over foreign people because they may be more dangerous than Brits, why the hell is that?

Remember that Hamza has not been found guilty in a British court of law for the crime of incitement to hatred (though you seem to treat him as guilty)

Now I realise this guy has some foul views but don't you agree that a court of law is the place to decide such things, not he mind of our lovely right-wing home secretary?
    hands up. i totaly agree with you. our freedom is slipping away quietly amidst the current madness.
  • Options
    If the Govt can give citizenship, why can't they take it away.

Some people have an automatic "right" and they should be protected, but why should a foreign national retain the right of citizenship which has been granted as a priviledge?

My freedom, and that of British Nationals is unaffected and hasn't been erroded. The citizenship of people who want to be British - and yet retain their existing nationality - has been...

I do know what you are saying though Toady...
  • Options
    I know what you mean MoK but the main thing is the method of making this decision.....

I do not know the ins and outs of the legal situation but as far as i know there is no jury trial.

Surely to be deported requires a major crime of some sort and if so then why not a trial before a proper court of law. The jury trial is a key part of democracy and whilst a person is still a british national they should have a right for their crimes to be assessed in a proper trial........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Surely to be deported requires a major crime of some sort

Sadly not.

As many England football fans have found to their cost, right across Europe...

Persona non grata...
  • Options
    We hate to throw you out, but garbage stinks if you let it sit inside for too long.:naughty:
  • Options
    I think there is a clear difference between a visiting tourist and someone who is a full resident.......