Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Legal clubbing age

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
ok, so we all know that the legal age for clubbing and buying alcohol is 18 :( but i'm 16 and i go out all the time drinking and clubbing. i am quite a careful drinker and i hardley ever go over too much, i have never been kicked out of a club for say...being to drunk or anything like that. So if there are responsible people like me, y is it that the legal age is 18? :mad: What happens at the age of 18 which makes you able to drink and go out ckubbing? Sometimes i get really annoyed coz i think the legal age should be 16 or 17. What is your view on this? :confused:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    It's a tough one. The legal age is 18 yet sensible people like yourself, aged 16 are able to enter bars, clubs, etc...

Lets say they lower the age to 16. That will open up then floodgates for 14, 15 year olds to get in.

At present you can legally drive yourself to your own wedding but can't have a drink!
  • Options
    The legal age is 18 because alchol is a dangerous thing, the law is the law and things aint gonna change. Think you should stick to going to the park and getting drunk though, cos all these little 16yr olds getting drunk everywhere is really doing my head in.
  • Options
    Because if the legal age was dropped to 16-17, you may start getting more 14-15 year olds entering clubs! Also alcohol is a very dangerous drug, i think its one of the worst! ;)
  • Options
    English law reflects the morality of the majority of the people in England and Wales. Thus it could be argued that the majority of the people living under English law consider it immoral (probably because of maturity) to be able to drink alcohol under the age of eighteen, hence the Act of Parliament. (If, for instance, the majority of people suddenly deemed it immoral to drink alcohol under the age of twenty-one, the law would, overtime, change to reflect this shift in morality.) Do people under the age of eighteen realise that alcohol is a potentially lethal drug if taken in excessive quantities? The law aims to stop such potential consequences, and therefore is in effect a safeguard. However, for a statute under criminal law to be effective, it relies, amongst others, upon competent policing and deterrence, and hence we can sincerely question the effectiveness of this Act in the achievement of its objective.
  • Options
    I think they should stay as they are... its bad enough at the moment out there, I remember when I was clubbing there were so many underages at these events anyway.. if they lowered it then it'd get worse... also bear in mind that as you get older you won't want to be around clubs with all these "kids" and it gets increasingly annoying when you get some twatty 16yr old having a few drinks then thinking he can take the world on and that really spoils it for the others who generally ARE there just to have a good time.. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I agree with the law as it stands and always have - even what I was underage.

Children under 18 tend to be less mature in all things, not just their attitude towards drinking, but their attitude towards everything in general.

There is nothing worse than being in a bar and hearing two girls talking in the loos about their homework or who snogged who at the school disco. :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by RNT
    my favourite comeback nowadays is "hows your gcses going?"

:eek2:

:lol: Good for you!

When I go to see bands play I always ask the kids why they aren't at home because it it way past their bed time, or what lessons they have the next day. :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

When I go to see bands play I always ask the kids why they aren't at home because it it way past their bed time, or what lessons they have the next day. :crazyeyes

There's no need for that at gigs. I'm sure you wouldn't have appreciated smug older people ( and not much older) taking the piss when you were 16. I got that a bit at my first gig when i was 15. If they're fans, fair enough. Though it was quite funny the last time I saw Ash. Pure kids, but there's no need to make them feel bad.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zero II
    There's no need for that at gigs. I'm sure you wouldn't have appreciated smug older people ( and not much older) taking the piss when you were 16. I got that a bit at my first gig when i was 15. If they're fans, fair enough. Though it was quite funny the last time I saw Ash. Pure kids, but there's no need to make them feel bad.
    Oh I would say there is every need for it. In the last year every single gig at Newcastle Uni that I have attended has been jam packed with little children. They don't even stay in the room where the bands are, they go into this adjoining room with pool tables and sit and giggle and snog and drink shandy. They aren't there for the band. I wouldn't say it to anyone who was.
  • Options
    I agree with the law being 18 because as has already been said, if you lower it then the age that underage people are getting in at becomes lower and it's a slippery slope from then on.

However much people like to think they can cope with the alcohol, not everyone is sensible and younger people's bodies cannot cope as well with that amount of drink. it is more damaging.