Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Amsterdam

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How old do you have to be to get sold weed in Amsterdam?

Comments

• Options
    18 methinx.

me and my mate are gonna get paid for to go there for a weekend when were 18 if he gets decent enough GCSEs lol
  • Options
    its 18. they wont even let you in if your not. they check id and everything.

and you have to be in certain coffee shops, you cant just go up to someone and ask them for it, thats not legal. and often you cant smoke your own in the coffee shops, only stuff that you've bought there. so you're better off buying it by the joint rather than by the bag.
  • Options
    may I ask why you want to know?
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing

and often you cant smoke your own in the coffee shops, only stuff that you've bought there. so you're better off buying it by the joint rather than by the bag.

I never found that. & you look a right twat buying it by the joint :D
  • Options
    Getting paid to go over there would be pretty damn cool. Is it expensive over there compared to here?
  • Options
    nope, england has gotta be one of the most expensive countries around i swear...

i worked there for 6 months it was a touch,
    check out the grey area and greenhouse (theres 3 of them) coffeshops, they're the nuts
  • Options
    I found most places didn't care where you brought your weed from...

Also I found that no-where ID'd us, except a little bar near the station. That was just to sit in, they weren't even a coffeeshop.

Also worth noting that the coffeeshops and the smart shops are the places to buy your drugs. Don't start talking to the blokes that hang around the canal bridges and on the street corners saying under their breath "cocaine, pills, X-T-C, cocain, pills, X-T-C...."
    I'm sure that if the locals wanted any of those the dodgy blolkes would be the last people they would go to.#

BTW look for the LLama's in voondlepark
  • Options
    I've just got back myself and the 'Dam is nice and all but I did find somewhat that unless you want to sit in a coffee shop all day there isnt a great deal there. Its quite a small place. I did like it but I didnt fall in love with it like I did with Barcelona or Cape Town.

That and because there was only two of us we couldnt get through the solid we bought and had to throw some away, which I felt quite bad about.
  • Options
    am going again in april for 5 days...

i went last summer too....

i am gonna find those damn llamas this time if it kills me!!
  • Options
    Is it possible to find/buy Charas in Amsterdam...and if so where?
  • Options

bongbudda
    I did find somewhat that unless you want to sit in a coffee shop all day there isnt a great deal there

Can I ask what you tried doing, other than sitting in a coffeeshop?

What museums did you look in?
    What art galleries did you explore?
    Did you look at the park, or note the engineering that must have gone into the canal network?
    What about the hugely varied and historical architecture?
    Did you try any of the nightclubs, or take advantage of their socailly minded prostitution laws?
    Did you use the clean, reliable and cheap public transport to look at any of the country around 'dam?

How many new people did you meet? Local or tourist, it doesn't matter, as each can give you a different perspective on the way you see the world.

Actually, amsterdam has almost all the tourist attractions and sightseeing oppertunities of almost any city its size, plus a few others (and every-one knows what i mean)... so what were you actually looking to get out of traveling?

Most importantly : DID YOU LOOK FOR THE LLAMA'S???

octopus of doom
    i am gonna find those damn llamas this time if it kills me!!

Good to know i'm not the only one.
  • Options
    We did a lot of walking, taking in most of the city by foot, which I think is the best way to see most places and I did like the design and the arcitecture, but it is all a bit the same, nice though.

We went to the Van Gough, Riks Museum, Anne Franks house and went on a couple of cannal boat rides and all were interesting and enjoyable, although the museums didnt have great lighting, but thats just a minor point really.

I dont want to sound like a moaning git, I did enjoy the place and it is really preaty, I just didnt fall in love with it. Cape Town and Barcelona, and of course London, well they have something extra, they are just places I love.

As for prostitution, I just found the red light district quite depressing, all the women looked really bored, and it was all a bit too much like a meat market for my liking.

I did take advantage of their fantastic public transport though and was mistified to hear that they are trying to build a tube network, is that really true?
  • Options
    My girlfriend and I are off to Amsterdam tomorrow,its the first time We've been.We are staying in the museum&park district right next to Vondelpark And a little coffeeshop called Noon.As RobS said Ive heard the Grey Area is a good place also De Dampkring,Homegrown Fantasy and Siberie have been recomended to me.Most people have told me to stay away from the Bulldog places and Grasshopper as they are mainly full of tourists and generaly the best weed and prices are the coffeeshops further from the RLD wich the locals use themselves.I wont be stoned all the time as I want to take in the city and museums,Go on a canal trip and take in a bit of the culture.if I want to sit out my face all the time I can do that here.
  • Options
    bongbudda : OK, but having done all that you are still prepared to say :
    "I did find somewhat that unless you want to sit in a coffee shop all day there isnt a great deal there" ???

But I suppose I should say well done as well, as you seem to have done more than most (at least you didn't just sit in the coffeeshops).

BTW : I have not got a clue about whether they are building a tube system, but if they are i really don't know why.

Any-one know what the sightseeign oppertunities are like in Roterdam? (sp)
  • Options
    Are you talking about the animal when you say llama's. Or is this some kind of marijuana related terminology that i'm not familar with? :confused:
  • Options
    I know I am slightly eroding my argument by listing all the things that we did other than sit around in coffee shops, I just mean that I wasnt overly impressed with any of the other things we did. Although the Van Gough museam was preaty good.
  • Options
    Would you recommend it for someone who doesn't smoke weed?Most of my mates would- I just dont, but would it still be worth going?
    What about the bars and night clubs or is everyone just strung out of it? Ah i'll prob go anyway- fuck it!
  • Options
    It is a nice place, and I did enjoy it. If your wanting to go out I'd recomend you try out one of the 'brown' bars, they are very cozy and have a nice feel to them. Sitting in there with a good belgian beer of an afternoon was better than a coffee shop if you ask me, but then I love belgian beer. Mmmm Hoegaarden!
  • Options
    Yay - another person likes Hoegaarden other that me and my sis. I'm not alone after all :hyper:
  • Options
    Have you tried Hoegaarden Grand Cru or their Forbidden Fruit one? both are really good, but a total git to find, however when you do they are well worth it and both are quite strong at near 9%.
  • Options
    Nope i ain't tried them, but if they're Hoegaarden then they're guaranteed to be nice :yum:
  • Options
    I'd say it's got at least as much to offer as most other similerly sized town in europe (with some obvious exceptions). The only thing it's lacking are decent parks.

Voondle park is pretty cool and certainly big enough, but I think thatsd about it as far as green areas go in the city center (and its not the central).

When you say "is it worth it if you don't smoke weed" do you mean "if you don't take drugs"? They are very different statements (you may be quite happy eating dope, or mushrooms, or any of the multitude of legal highs that are sold)....
    If the answer is still "nope, don't do it" then i wouldn't recommend an extended trip, for sure. You can probabily fill a long weekend quite happily though. The only thing you need to be aware of is that the food is extremily basic.

When i say llama's i mean llama's. Largish beasts. look a little like a mix between a horse and a camal. Traditionally found in nepal, i think.