Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Paris may help in chemical war.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now see. Was that so freak'n hard?

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Despite French opposition to a war in Iraq, the French military could assist a U.S.-led coalition should Iraq use biological and chemical weapons against coalition forces, the French ambassador to the United States said Tuesday.

"If the war starts and if (President) Saddam Hussein uses chemical or biological weapons, it would change completely the situation for the French president and for the French government, and President (Jacques) Chirac will have to decide what we will do to help the American troops to confront this new situation.

"But I confirm it would change completely the perception and the situation for us," said Jean-David Levitte, who told CNN he hoped that biological and chemical weapons would not be used.

Although he declined to give details on the possible shape of French participation, Levitte said: "We have equipment to fight in these circumstances."

Comments

• Options
    You seem to see this as a major victory.
    The thing is, France & Co. don't want to attack because there is no direct evidence that Hussein has and will use chemical and biological weapons. If he uses them, then he obviously has them and is willing to use them, therefore war is justified.
    This does not, however, mean that a war now is right, and that Chirac (or me) supports a war now.
  • Options
    I think if France offers help you should take it. I can't see continuing some fight. All the West has to work together to keep a handle on terrorism.
  • Options
    Sorry, I still don't understand exactly where the whole idea of attacking Iraq preventing terrorism comes in... Fact: Al Quaeda is not supported by Iraq. Fact: Attacking Iraq will be a major recruitment drive for all military and terrorist anti-west and anti-American organisations
  • Options
    Dirty French!

They see there oil deals are slipping out of there hands, so now trying to patch things up with the US!

No point them helping, they'll surrender in under an hour!!;)
  • Options
    I know what you mean Harmless. They have a lot of anger to get past in the UStoo. It's funny because they come off prideful...and also prideless.
  • Options
    but the french don't believe saddam has chemi ......what are the worlds leaders smoking!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    but the french don't believe saddam has chemi ......what are the worlds leaders smoking!
    I think the french are trying to sit on the fence big time, can't upset saddam incase he stays in power (Doubtful now!) plus he's a "personal friend":lol:

*Wont get the oil as well

-Can't fuck off the US otherwise life becomes very difficult!-

*Still wont get oil

It's all games isn't it, glad to see France will lose out tho!

Germany haven't done themselves any favours as well!, can understand Russia not wanting war.
  • Options
    It is not all about (or even mainly about I believe) self interest for any side.

The Russians don't want war at least partly because they don't see it as right not the same reason why the Americans want war, they see it as the right thing to do.....

"I'm glad the French will lose out"

WHY?
  • Options
    As an individual, I can't hold a grudge. And I feel all nations are doing what's good for themselves. So I'd accept any help the French are offering. The joke on news talk shows is that the French would be experts at fighting French-made pestisides. They just sold them to the Iraqis in February of this year.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    It is not all about (or even mainly about I believe) self interest for any side.

"I'm glad the French will lose out"

WHY?

I don't believe that, they all have chosen their stands for a reason, and it’s there own self-interest they are looking after.

And I'm glad the French will lose out because I don't like their government. How can they let that scum Mr Mugabe (sp?) into their country like that! Just because they want to have some influence is Africa

They just come across to me as being very sly at the moment in my eyes.
  • Options
    Youd do yourself some credit by looking a bit deeper than sensationalist headlines when it omes to the France government's positioning, Harmless.

In the case of the mugabe visit, whilst it was diplomatically embarrassing for the UK, it wasnt some unilateral act on behalf of Chirac to have him there. It was, rather, the collective will of the African nations which attended the convention that Mugabe be present.

Given that 2/3 of African nations are run by repressive dictatorships, its likely that no dialogue nor progress would be possible on a continent wide basis if selective dictatorships were denied an audience with European leaders.

Like it or not, there is no quick fix (in contrast to the Bush doctrine) that will result in a constructive and peaceful road ahead in world affairs.
  • Options
    That backing of Mr Mugabe might be a mega bad move for the French...in addition to it being another example of how they take swipes against Britian. There were massive strikes across Zimbabwe yesterday...and across color lines. So France might be seen as an enabler of Mugabe.

Regarding the US and France in the Security Council. To me diplomacy is compromise. If the US feels Saddam is a threat...I wish they would have just gone after him. France and Russia have too much at stake regarding oil and trade deals to be expected to give them up. Although, Bulgaria is supporting the UK and US and that little, much poorer, country is owed a billion from Saddam too.
  • Options
    The US does not believe Saddam is a threat pnj. Well, many of the people are, simply because the government has told them so. But the Bush administration knows very well that America is at greater danger of being attacked by 7-headed dragons from Jupiter than by Saddam. You should know by now the reasons why Bush is going to war.
  • Options
    France is not enabling Mugabe in any way pnj. That he was permitted to come to one conference is even noted by some UK political analysts as merely a case of keeping the door open for influencing many other African regimes which wanted him there.
  • Options
    Al I am impressed by the new and excellent attacks that you think of that are more likely than Saddams attacks! :D

harmless, I assume you are similarly appalled at our govt for talking (talking, god no!:eek: ) to the leaders of China or Syria or Pakistan?

Apart from that though the French willingness to talk to Mugabe is in no way an endorsement of his policies, why should it be?

Also Chirac showed his distaste quite classily, kissed all the others leaders but only shook mugabes hand........ ;)
  • Options

Also Chirac showed his distaste quite classily, kissed all the others leaders but only shook mugabes hand........ ;)

Perhaps he thought Mugabe would recoil at a French kiss?
  • Options
    What a horrible image!:yuck:

:p
  • Options

harmless, I assume you are similarly appalled at our govt

Yes I am
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    To me diplomacy is compromise.
    Yes, you're exactly right. Diplomacy is compromising. Wouldn't it be a much better world if no-one made compromises... :rolleyes: