Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drinking Whilst On Anti - Depressants

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi there,
i`m on anti depressants (Citalopram) i plan to go clubbin in the next week or so and drink a little what i want to know is will this be ok? i only plan a few drinks then will go on to redbull etc.

Would the alcohol send me on a complete downer? because i wouldnt want to ruin the night.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Best go ask your doctor tbh mate. I was on Prozac and after a few beers it just gets you fucked. He said that if I was onlt gonna drink...drink a little.
  • Options
    I don't know how it will effect you on medical terms but I do remember my brother when he was on anti-depressants and he went out for a few drinks - he had abnormal mood swings/tempered which was quite scary for me and my mum. Although that doesn't mean it will happen to you! Best doing a search on the web..
  • Options
    Some say specifically not to drink, most don't advise it.
    I've been drinking whilst on a few types - I was utterly wankered in no time and then conked out. It'll be a cheap night, if nothing else, but best to check with your GP frist or ring NHS direct.
  • Options
    Cheers for your replies peeps

Yeah i think it would probably make me feel even more fucked but if i stick to a couple then go on redbulls i should be ok...ish!!

i need to get out and meet some new people dammit havent been out on the lash for a month :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Smash
    Originally posted by Smash
    Some say specifically not to drink, most don't advise it.
    I've been drinking whilst on a few types - I was utterly wankered in no time and then conked out. It'll be a cheap night, if nothing else, but best to check with your GP frist or ring NHS direct.

Smash i just read the leaflet it says

"Do NOT drink alcohol"

sounds like it will be a very cheap night! :yes:
  • Options
    My mums on that and she still drinks. Not heavily though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    My mums on that and she still drinks. Not heavily though.

Is she actually on Citalopram?

i`ve decided if i drink beers that will send me on my arse in no time so im most likely gonna stick to drinks like WKD blue and Smirnoff ice.

Thank you all for your replies :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Space Cadet

Is she actually on Citalopram?

i`ve decided if i drink beers that will send me on my arse in no time so im most likely gonna stick to drinks like WKD blue and Smirnoff ice.

Thank you all for your replies :D

Yes i had a look at the packet :)

She drinks whisky everyday whilst shes taking it. But not loads of drink!
  • Options
    I took citalopram and it was as if I was taking a placebo. Prozac on the other hand got me v drunk v quickly. I'll ask a member of staff of my uni dept this week (I do pharmacology). I want to know too cos the tablets I'm on at the moment day that I shouldn't drink.

Remember though, alcohol in general is a depressant, so it's hardly going to make you feel better...
  • Options
    it's probably not the best idea you've ever had.

the reason it gets you drunk so quickly is cause it's POISONING you.

antidepressants and alcohol together in large enough doses can be toxic to your liver and could even kill you.

there's a reason they tell you not to drink on the patient information leaflet.

and yes, we all know people who have drunk while on them and been fine, but i know an equal amount of people who have done that and then had to be rushed to hospital to have their stomachs pumped. not a great way to end the evening.