Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Weight training

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Anyone tried it? Anyone like it? I started lifting weights when I was about 15, I've managed to keep it up a few times a week since. Don't really know what it does for me, I guess I'm just an endorphin addict! :D

So,what about you people?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I go four or five times a week.

Yeah, I'm a complete endorphin freak too...if it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't go. I was in a pissy mood yesteerday until I went and then afterward I was like a freaking little girl I was so giddy. Sad, really. :blush:
  • Options
    na, it's cool to enjoy exercise, though I don't know why you felt like a girl :confused:

Do you do weight training for a specific purpose or just enjoy it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by will haycock
    na, it's cool to enjoy exercise, though I don't know why you felt like a girl :confused:

I'm talking about how giddy I get from the endorphin rush...not that I'm actually acting like a girl!

I lift for the health benefits, as way to get out aggression, and I don't know, I just like it. There's nothing like that exhausted feeling when you're done lifting...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Alessandro

There's nothing like that exhausted feeling when you're done lifting...

I know what you mean, mate. It's more than just being exhausted though. It's this kind of warm, floaty feeling, as well, kind of. Makes you feel like you've got your life sorted out. I guess that's why I keep doing it, and I guess because I want to keep strong and fit as well. It's a good thing to do :)
  • Options
    I go 2/3 times a week aswell :)

Trying to bulk up and get some shape to my body!

I know what you mean about the rush and feeling you get after, its quite addictive.

:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by CRAZYREDEYES

I know what you mean about the rush and feeling you get after, its quite addictive.

:D

i'd say it's very addictive, given that i've been doing weight training regularly for nearly three years. Not sure whether its benefited me much physically (for the record I weigh just over 100 pounds :rolleyes: ) but the endorphins just seem to have kept me going. Endorphins are apparently similar to opiates (such as opium, heroin, morphine). In fact, I've heard of drugs clinics that make their clients do lots of exercise instead of doing smack.

I went to a gym for a bit but currently I'm just lifting freeweights at home. What about u?
  • Options
    I go about twice a week at the moment, if I had my way it would be every day, but have problems with transport and cash at the mo.

I used to train every day with free weights, but couldnt get motivated enough to carry on.

Do you worry about your diet or try and eat the right things?

Have you tried any kind of weight gain products ?

:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by CRAZYREDEYES
    I go about twice a week at the moment, if I had my way it would be every day, but have problems with transport and cash at the mo.

I used to train every day with free weights, but couldnt get motivated enough to carry on.

Do you worry about your diet or try and eat the right things?

Have you tried any kind of weight gain products ?

:)

I guess that's the advantage of doing it at home. saves money. but it does require a lot of motivation and you have to that bit more careful to do it right and everything. I think I got a bit fed up of the gym because the opening hours seemed a bit limited. At home you can do it when u like.

I eat a balanced diet and enjoy my food so I don't woory very much about it. I guess I prefer to have milk then not have it though, because of it being nutritious.

I've never tried any weight gain products, I don't suppose they make much difference really. or do they?
  • Options
    Weight gain products do work because of their high calorie content. Just remember though that if your not working out and taking the shakes it won't turn to muscle just fat. If you are trying to " bulk up" the only way is eating alot especially protein. You should eat smaller meals and eat every 2-3 hours. If you are going to have protein shakes I would go for the ones with high protein and low carbohydrates. Many of the supplements do work but personally I only take creatine and the protein shakes.

Overtraining can be as bad as under training, worse in some ways. If you want to bulk up, 2-3 times a week isn't enough but I wouldn't work a body part more then once every 6 days or else you are over training, which will slow your progress.

No pain..no gain!!
  • Options
    I goto the gym about 4 times a week, however I don't just concentrate on the weights.
    I can feel myself getting stronger, although I can't see much definition yet though.
  • Options
    Hmmmm.....

At the moment I do it about 2 to 3 times a week BUT I do work all my body parts in one session. Good or bad?

I get a fair amount of everything in my diet as I eat some pretty well-balanced meals. The thing is, if I were to just eat snacks all the time I wouldn't really want to just live on chocolate bars. It's a difficult one...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I goto the gym about 4 times a week, however I don't just concentrate on the weights.
    I can feel myself getting stronger, although I can't see much definition yet though.

What's your workout like? I guess mine is mainly weight-based, but I do some stretching and stuff as well. All that stuff is just as important as doing the weights.
  • Options

What's your workout like? I guess mine is mainly weight-based, but I do some stretching and stuff as well. All that stuff is just as important as doing the weights.

He is bang on..stretching is very important in making the muscle lone rather then short. Do a warm up and then at least 10 minutes of stretching the muscle before, during and after your workout. And if you want to put size on the only way you are going to do it is by lifting heavy..about 80 % of your max or the most you can do at 6-7 reps. Keep the cardio down to a minimum or else you will loose muscle. The best part..eat lots..you have to have the calorie intake. Lots of protein. I would still stay away from the high fatty meat though.
  • Options

I do 3 minutes on a warmup bike, then stretches for a few minutes.
    Then about 15-20 minutes of cardio-vascular work unless I'm bored/pissed off with something, in which case i go straight to the weights to release some fury.
    As for weights, I do about 40 reps on each machine:
    Leg Push-70Kg
    Leg extender-20Kg
    Leg Curl-20Kg
    Lateral Pulldown-40Kg
    Shoulder pulldown-35Kg
    Pec-dec-35-40Kg
    Tricep push-30Lbs
    free weights, 20Lbs each arm

If I'm in a bad mood i usually add 10Kg onto each one.

I know it doesn't seem like much but I only started doing it a month ago, and I have been building the weights on at about 5Kg a week.
  • Options
    sounds like you're doing a lot of it, whowhere! :eek:

i'm currently just doing freeweights at home. I do some stretches and some back exercises before my exercises, but as yet haven't been stretching during and after.

The exercises I do are:

(The weight includes the weight of the bar/dumbbells)

Shoulder Press (17kg)
    Arm curl (14-15kg)
    Lunges (14-15kg)
    Tricep extension (13-14kg)
    Bent Arm Rows (only about 8kg because it requires light weights)

I usually do them on the bar, two sets of 10-12 reps for each exercise, though occasionally i do them on the dumbbells.
  • Options
    This is my typical workout, well, what I would do during the whole week, spread out over five days:

Decline bench press: 155lb, 1 set of 15; 175lb 1 set of 12; 185lb 1 set of 8-10
    Cable crossover flys: 40lb, 3 sets of 18; 45 lb 1 set of 12-15
    Tricep dumbell extensions: 25 lbs, 3 sets of 15
    wide, straight arm dumbell flys: 25lb, 2-3 sets of 12

Lat pulldowns: 80lb, 1 set of 20-25; 90 lbs, 1 set of 20; 100 lbs, 1 set of 15; 110lbs, 1 set of 12
    Rows: 70lbs, 1 set of 18; 80lbs, 1 set of 15; 90lbs, 1 set of 12; 100lbs, 1 set of 10-12
    cable reverse crossover: 25 lbs, 3 sets of 15

preacher curls: 45 lbs, 3 sets of 20
    hammer dumbell curls: 25 lbs, 3 sets of 15
    reverse curls: 20 lbs, 3 sets of 15

legpress: 8 or 10 plates, 3 sets of 12, 10, 10 reps
    lunges: varying weights
    calf press: 120 lbs, 3 sets of 15
    varied extensions and curls.

and of course all the abs and torso stuff too, although I think the most important part of my workout is the 15 minutes of warmup cardio before and 45 minutes after. Gets me going and combined with the stretching has kept me injury-free for about seven months now!
  • Options
    Im at the gym everyday except sundays now...FINALLY made it up to 17stone...Im well happy...Long live chicken!!

Now to start cutting again :(

Does nobody here do squats or deadlifts???:eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Im at the gym everyday except sundays now...FINALLY made it up to 17stone...Im well happy...Long live chicken!!

Now to start cutting again :(

Does nobody here do squats or deadlifts???:eek:

sounds like you're either incredibly tall or weigh much too much :eek:

i've heard of squats and deadlifts, but i'm more of a lunges kinda person. think they're quite difficult to do, aren't they?
  • Options
    Im 5'11" and I dont weigh too much :)
  • Options
    hang on, i get it now. when you say '17 stone' you mean the amount of weight you lift!

how long have u been weight training?
  • Options
    No, i weight 17 stones..Well im actually down a few pounds after the weekend but close enough to 17 :)

Been weighttraining for about 2 years, 1 year seriously.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    No, i weight 17 stones..Well im actually down a few pounds after the weekend but close enough to 17 :)

Been weighttraining for about 2 years, 1 year seriously.

Wait, am I doing the math correctly?

17 stone x 14lbs/stone = 238lbs!

If that's right, jeez....you must be HUGE! I've been lifting seriously for about 2/2.5 years and I'm only 190! (Same height)

or is a stone 12 lbs?
  • Options
    Just been on the scales and im down to 233 :(

Yep, 14 lbs to a stone..

Wish I did look huge..:( Chest is 50", waist is 35"
  • Options
    God, I'm about 5ft 10 and weigh just under 11 and 1/2 stones. Btw, what's the 'w' shaped bar for. Is it to build up the muscle on the side of your bicep? And are there any good exercises to build up strength in your forearms? (wonders how many dirty answers that'll get :rolleyes: )
  • Options
    no dirty answers so far....

Try reading up about it, you should be able to find out about 'w' shaped bars and forearm exercises in a book or magazine to do with weight training. Or try searching the net.
  • Options
    The only way to add muscle is to eat more calories than your body can use...And about 40 percent of these should come from protein!

That basically means eating medium sized meals every 2-3 hours or so, head over to www.abcbodybuilding.com to dispel all myths about adding muscle and losing fat!
  • Options
    Hey people

If you wanna be making more gains then remember to pay close attention to your diet as well as your training. If you are not consuming at least 1.5-2 grams per pound of bodyweight then face it your muscles will grow as about as fast as a turtle at aintree. You need to consume a good deal of calories more like 2000-3500 on days you train depending on bodyweight. don't train too much 3 times a week working each body part is enough with 8-12 reps/2-5 sets. make sure u also eat a good 6 meals a day spacing them out well. train hard for results.

Peaceout
  • Options
    Originally posted by EssexBoy

make sure u also eat a good 6 meals a day spacing them out well.

:eek2: