Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Erm here goes...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Don't know where to put this as it's quite general, so i'll stick it here.

It's about babies!!!
I need your input & thoughts on the following please.

How do you know if the time is right?
Has anyone has a baby whilst suffering from depression & how did it affect you?
What are the good points & bad points about having a baby?
How do you know if it will come between you & your partner?

:confused: Please anyone give me some advise.
Ta

Comments

• Options
    *gasp* are you thinking about babies!! ooohhhh!! cool

sorry, though, i can't help ya, i've never had any babies myself or had any thought about it, and everybody that i knows that have them has been an... um... not planned.
  • Options
    I think the time can only be right if your financially stable and prepared not to have a social life or so i'm told:eek2:
    I've talked about babies with my boyf (kinda had to, I was pregnant but only carried 3 months :( ) and we're not ready for them just yet as we still house share with other people and havent partied nearly hard enough yet:D
  • Options
    Talk it with your bf first!

Check your able to support a baby-

Wait a few months and still if you still have the feelings of having and not that its just a pssing phase- theres no turning back!

Oh and a positive: Its fun making them! So practice in the meantime:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by ms ginger
    I think the time can only be right if your financially stable and prepared not to have a social life or so i'm told:eek2:

:yes: I agree.

And, maybe I'm old fashioned, but if I was planning to have a baby I'd want to get married first.
  • Options
    This is not something i am going to jump in & do, me & Chris have discussed it a bit. I would like to get married first & probably will be anyway. I just wanted some input.
  • Options
    *Enters*

Ooo babies, not my thang

*Leaves*
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    This is not something i am going to jump in & do, me & Chris have discussed it a bit. I would like to get married first & probably will be anyway. I just wanted some input.

I dunno really. I suppose I'd want to have a good career going, make sure my bloke has a good job, we have a nice house, are married and have done lots of things with my life. ie - I'd like to visit lots of places before I have kids. I suppose you'd have to be content with the knowledge that the next 18+ years of your life are going to be spent looking after children. At the moment I can tell that that point in my life is a looong way off!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith

And, maybe I'm old fashioned, but if I was planning to have a baby I'd want to get married first.

I must admit marriage would come 1st for me too (unless some kinda accident happened) but then id plan my marriage.or try to
  • Options
    Be prepared mentally as well as financially

You will gain weight and feel unattractive (even after the baby is born), you’ll be up all hours of the night and it’s likely you, the mother, will do more of the baby work (All through it’s life!)

So you might feel some resentment to your bf (Or maybe not, depending on how he is)

But on the other hand, you are a smashing girl and seem smart. And I’m sure you’d read up on all the pros and cons of having kids

Also, Britain is becoming under populated so we need more kids (Do it for England!;) , but make sure you have support from both sets of families as well as mates!)

Hope all works out and you become happy, and make the right choice for you!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Poi Boy
    I must admit marriage would come 1st for me too (unless some kinda accident happened) but then id plan my marriage.or try to

yeah I'm talking about if I was planning on having kids. if something just happened then dealing with it is another story altogether! :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Harmless
    But on the other hand, you are a smashing girl and seem smart. And I’m sure you’d read up on all the pros and cons of having kids

:o Thanks Alex :D
  • Options

yes you are old-fasioned.......

:)
  • Options
    I know your road/area/them flats like the back of me hand...i can babysit :D

But seriously (although i was being serious!) i think to have a baby you need to be financially stable, have a stable relationship, have your own place (ideally) etc etc.

You and Chris are smashing people and im sure will make good parents but only you can decide when the right time is :)
  • Options
    I'm actually quite annoyed because normally I think babies are just screaming horrible little things that should be kept somewhere away from me.

But lately I've been looking at them and thinking "aww how cute I could have one of them".

This I find highly disturbing.

Moo :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    yes you are old-fasioned.......

:)

If I'm gonna do something I want to do it properly! :p
  • Options

If I'm gonna do something I want to do it properly! :p

Agrees, nowt wrong with some old fashioned values.:D
  • Options
    *thinks everyone that wants kids r insane but isnt goin to say owt*

wanna look after my nephew for the day? :razz:
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*

Aww how can you think that!!

I'd love to one day have a baby with the man I love, a little version of me or him. A little bundle of joy. Children give you a reason to live!
  • Options

I never said I wanted any! I was just offering hypothetical advice! hehe
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot

Aww how can you think that!!

I'd love to one day have a baby with the man I love, a little version of me or him. A little bundle of joy. Children give you a reason to live!

i s'pose they r a gud reason to watch kiddies videos all day and just act like a kid, but then whats my excuse? :D

Faith: i sed anyone, not *thinks faith is insane for wanting kids* :p
  • Options

Nah it's ok, i got two nephews & they are a handfull.:)
  • Options
    the whole baby thing is kool and i want loads of them one day but until then i think that the mum aND dad (to be) should ensure that they as individuals and unit are able to look after the baby emotionally and physically and if u choose to bring a baby into this world. i think u should only do so u are financially able to... although im not sayin ppl who cant afford to look after their kids hav no rite havin them i, perhaps its sumthin some ppl dont hav control of.

but most of all if u can be sure that u will love this child unconditionally regardless of nething..thats the main thing
  • Options
    Originally posted by HunnyPot

a little version of me or him.

I think it'd be a little version of both of you combined.
    A little bundle of joy

No they're not, they're hard work.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    No they're not, they're hard work.

Yes, but they do also bring you a lot of joy........ the good far outweighs the bad. Anyway, even some of the bad becomes good when you fall in love with your own amazing, cute little baby. Did you never wonder how come people who have them can be so interested in things like poo and sore gums?! ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy

Yes, but they do also bring you a lot of joy........ the good far outweighs the bad. Anyway, even some of the bad becomes good when you fall in love with your own amazing, cute little baby. Did you never wonder how come people who have them can be so interested in things like poo and sore gums?! ;)

Oh stop it. I already want a baby and don't even have a girlfriend. Meh. :p
  • Options
    Re: Erm here goes...
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Don't know where to put this as it's quite general, so i'll stick it here.

It's about babies!!!
    I need your input & thoughts on the following please.

How do you know if the time is right?
    Has anyone has a baby whilst suffering from depression & how did it affect you?
    What are the good points & bad points about having a baby?
    How do you know if it will come between you & your partner?

:confused: Please anyone give me some advise.
    Ta

BLIMEY

OK...are you taking any drugs for depression and have you found out if they might have an effect on the baby?
    Do you know why y ou are depressed? Have you had any kind of help in dealing with your depression? You probably need to sorrt these things out before you even think about it.

I can tell you - therre is no RIGHT time..there is no perfect age but I think you should at least like yourself and know yourself before you try.
    One thing for sure is that a baby completely changes your life, it will have an effect on your emotions, your finances and your relationships. DONT even think about having a baby if your partner hasn't made a firm commitment to the idea. A man can often feel threatened by a baby he can also feel like theres not much he can contribute during the first months when the woman is nursing the newborn.
    PLEASE don't have a baby unless you know you can care for it emotionally.

I am goimng to try for a baby soon and I have come off the pill, stopped smoking and started taking folic acid. Not everyone can plan like this but its a good idea.

Don't have a baby because you think it will keep you and your boyfriend together and don't have on so that you have something to love...its hard work.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Erm here goes...
    Originally posted by byny

BLIMEY

OK...are you taking any drugs for depression and have you found out if they might have an effect on the baby?
    Do you know why y ou are depressed? Have you had any kind of help in dealing with your depression? You probably need to sorrt these things out before you even think about it.

I can tell you - therre is no RIGHT time..there is no perfect age but I think you should at least like yourself and know yourself before you try.
    One thing for sure is that a baby completely changes your life, it will have an effect on your emotions, your finances and your relationships. DONT even think about having a baby if your partner hasn't made a firm commitment to the idea. A man can often feel threatened by a baby he can also feel like theres not much he can contribute during the first months when the woman is nursing the newborn.
    PLEASE don't have a baby unless you know you can care for it emotionally.

I am goimng to try for a baby soon and I have come off the pill, stopped smoking and started taking folic acid. Not everyone can plan like this but its a good idea.

Don't have a baby because you think it will keep you and your boyfriend together and don't have on so that you have something to love...its hard work.

Thanks, that sounds like some great advise.:)