Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Music and Violence

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Do you think hiphop/garage music encourages violence?

There was a story in the news recently about an MP that said that gun crime in inner city areas was down to people like So Solid.

Do you agree with that?

I dont listen to them and then suddenly decide i need to pick up a gun and blast someone in the head :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Music and Violence
    Originally posted by LacyMay

I dont listen to them and then suddenly decide i need to pick up a gun and blast someone in the head :rolleyes:

Of course you don't - it's a gradual process :p

Seriously though, whenever anything bad happens (increased crime rate, psychos shooting up school etc.) the government looks to the easiest thing to blame - music, fillms, computer games etc.
  • Options
    noone with half a brain is going to go and shoot someone just because they heard it in a song its stupid
    only really fucked up people in the head will do whatever thier told to do and yeah kiezo's right music is just being used as a scapegoat for societys real problems
  • Options
    Definately not! Music can't make u do anything, sure it can make you feel a certain way and encourage you to do many different things, but it's the people with teeny tiny little brains that cause all the shit!
  • Options
    Music doesn't make people do violent things, in the same way that not all people who committ violent offences listen to music.

However, there is empirical evidence to suggest that such music perpetuates and adds to the overall culture in which gang violence breeds.

I would like to think people aren't stupid enough to do something because they're influenced by what they hear or read. However, history tells us that people really are that stupid. (Millions of people follow the teaching of the Bible and lets face it that apparently has some really awful lessons for living - it is supposedly full of anti-homosexual messages and so forth).

The vast majority of people aren't influenced by something like music, but you just have to look around you to see that it does influence people. Look how the kids who like rock all dress the same. That is a prime example of musical influence.

However, I think someone would already have to be heavily influenced on the side of madness to contemplate committing a violent act simply because the music "told them too".
  • Options
    I think it probably has an influence on very weak minded people, in much the same way as films.
  • Options
    Re: Music and Violence
    Originally posted by LacyMay

Hell, I just don't listen to them. ;)

But no, it's a crock of shit with a politician look for the nearest scapegoat as usual.
  • Options
    I dont think that the culture around Hip Hop and Garage music insites violence but I do think that it reflects a serious problem with young blacks in the UK and the US.
    Its a culture where young men grow up with absoultely no role models what so ever and I think something quite drastic needs to happen.
  • Options
    Well as Eminem said: "They say music can alter moods and talk to you, Well can it load a gun up for you, and cock it too"

I don't think music can cause a person to behave violently, its just used as something to blame!
  • Options
    That is soooo stupid. It doesn't make someone pick up a gun. It's the pyschos themselves that do it.
  • Options
    What i think it can do though is change someones mood...say make someone angry.

If that person had a screw loose anyway, being angry isnt really a good idea. But thats just a generalisation.