Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mugabe treated like statesman in Paris.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Here's the link. Is it a good idea that the EU let France have its way in meeting with Mugabe?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/02/19/france.mugabe/index.html

Comments

• Options
    Yes.

Isolating him will not help anyone, moral posturing does noty solve any problems.

Talking and including even the worst people in discussions harms no-one and may help to find solutions to problems.

If anything it is a chance to put pressure on him..........
  • Options
    Now this leads to another interesting question Toadborg that I really don't have an answer to, the article said Tony Blair hardly spoke to Chirac he was so angry over this. Is Chirac using political crisis like Iraq to bring down Tony Blair? It came up that he might be on our news in the US.
  • Options
    I personally would have invited Mugabe over, only to have him arrested on arrival for human rights violations. I'm not happy with the French inviting him over but understand the point Toadborg was making.

As for Chirac, what he does would have no impact on the political survival of Tony Blair. They've never had the friendliest of relationships but what really infuriated Blair was Chirac asking him on a previous meeting how he was planning to explain to his children he was taking Britain to war. Tony is still seeing red over that one.

I would not put much weight to Tony's noble words about fighting for the disadvantaged and oppressed. Back in the late 80s, when it had become obvious to everyone that Saddam was a murdering dictator using WMDs, a motion was circulated amongst MPs to demand the end of arm sales to Iraq by the then Tory government. Tony Blair refused to sign the motion. One of the main points of the Labour Party manifesto in 1997 was to implement an 'ethical foreign policy' in which arms would not be sold to oppressive regimes. Labour went on to win the election but once in power Blair promptly forgot about the ethics plea and continued authorising the sale of military equipment to pretty much anyone with the cash. Apparently we have an industry to protect. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin, I think I like cartoon heros, they're easier to root for. I always read your posts and think about them.
  • Options
    I think this is a classic example of the French thumbing the British in the eye. Honestly I do not blame them. They pretty much deserve it. Yes, those ZANU-PF and ANC terrorists slaughtering god only knows how many Rhodesians and South Africans of British desent whom Britain imposed upon South Africa and Rhodesia are just fine! That is how the British repay their allies for fighting Germany of all nations in World War 2. Anyday now Tony Blair might get up the courage to demand the cricket team not play in the Zimbabwe slaughter house! Surely that's going to intimidate Mugabe!