Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Duct tape. Plastic Wrap. Death.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Both my parents work so my little sister and I have special time after school and before they get home. (I call it the hell hours.) Now when I have to wrap up one of her half eaten, slimey things in plastic wrap, I totally get it stuck to itself, me, everything but the damned food I'm supposed to be wrapping. And I got duct tape stuck to myself at Christmas instead of the lights.

So imagine my surprise to learn from the head of the CIA via TV, with my sister alongside me, that we should be getting plastic wrap and duct tape for our windows just in case Al Qaeda attacks...for me Cape May NJ. (Cause if they'd strike at the heart of the salt water taffy market, America is doomed.)

Anyway, they cut from him speaking to a shot of people buying the plastic wrap and duct tape and my little sister looks at the T.V. and looks at me, back at the T.V. and says: we're dead.

Point being...well, the kid is right. But also: What's the point of some of these warnings? Were sales in companies making plastic wrap down? The duct could come in handy for her mouth.

Comments

• Options
    I was thinking the other day I've almost forgotten what the world was before 9/11 and the subsequent shite that's emerged. What did we use to discuss? What worried the international community before the world got to revolve around 1 issue? I guess the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is always there, but otherwise we would not be concerned with much more than CO2 emissions and a few passing subjects. A time when Prime Ministers spent more time at home than abroad, and when meeting other heads of state happened once a year, thank you very much.

I miss those times. Can we get back to normality before we die of old age?
  • Options
    Sure my friend, switch nationalities, if even briefly, in 2004 and help us vote Bush and his cronies out.
  • Options
    I'm up for it. Any female American friends of relatives I can briefly marry? :D
  • Options
    The funny thing too is that this advice makes no sense. Can we expect Bin Laden to warn the infidels of an attack? And I read by Heathrow, (which they discussed closing down for this week) they said people should keep their eyes open. For what? A streak of light coming towards the plane you're in?
  • Options
    I guess they're saying that if you see two blokes in the long-term car park getting some sort of metal tube out of a van and assemblying it you should call the authorities. ;)
  • Options
    haaaaaaaaaaa. Or like in Upstate NY, on the Hudson River, surrounded by mountains, two Pakistani's were taking pictures of a nuclear power plant. They said they were tourists.
  • Options
    pnj, what our current leaders are seeking to achieve with the constant vague warnings is nothing more than a continued state of uncertainty and fear. That, as Aladdin's new sig hints at is merely one of the weapons the establishment has to keep the public distracted and compliant with their agenda.

If the public were to be left to calm down and gather their wits, they might start scrutinising too carefully the many issues which are being ignored, or at the very least deprioritized, in the midst of the incessant chants for war.

Go look at the link I posted in the thread about North Korea. The info you'll find there might help you understand more clearly what so many, who recognise this as a rehash of the dishonest tactics employed to justify the Vietnam War, have been deeply alarmed about since it became clear as to whom the major players were behind the current war- and fear-mongering.
  • Options
    According to media reports the 9/11 attacks were orginilly meant to target a nuclear plant upstate- maybe the one you're talking about. But apparently Al Qaeda decided against it because they believed the US retaliation would be nuclear.
  • Options
    Thanks Clandestine.

And Aladdin, I read about that too and in the US the spent rods are kept in a covered, by wall-less pool to cool. So a plane hitting into that could vaporize radioactive water the article said.

You know what's wierd though guys? Since I only became world aware just before 2001, this all seems normal to me. I don't remember when Al Qaeda wasn't running around blowing people up. When I was 13,14 I just used to surf...I mean the Atlantic.
  • Options
    Didnt realise the waves were big enough for surfing in NJ. My mom's side hails from Trenton and some areas near Cherry Hill, only ever been to Atlantic City a few times and don't remember much surf there.
  • Options
    I'm only like 40 minutes south of Atlantic City. Best time to surf is off-season...north of Atlantic City is the best or when there's a storm off shore.
  • Options
    You missed one off of your list....

Duct Tape, Plastic Wrap, Death - Massive Overreaction.

Really, it comes as no surprise as to which side of the Atlantic this is happening