Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Spanish support of war with Iraq

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has the news in England carried the news that Spain will allow bases to be used to support war with Iraq?

Comments

• Options
    It comes as no surprise. Spain's Prime Minister is an insignificant little man, completely unheard of outside Spain and with a bit of an inferiority complex, whose unconditional support of the US on the Iraq crisis has earned him the charming nickname "cocksucker" in Spain. Left and right wing alike the immense majority of Spaniards are against a war on Iraq and his silly statements and self-importance about his role in the crisis are being universally laughed off by the public.

But then his party and political mentors have a history of collaboration with the US. During the 50s the dictator Franco authorised the building of 4 massive US bases in Spanish territory. In return the US would leave Spain alone and be happy to have a murdering Nazi in power in Europe, who by happy coincidence hated communism almost as much as the Yanks. Many of the people in Franco's government were founding members of the People's Party, and their policies haven't changed much since.
  • Options
    I love it greenhat. And I heard the Netherlands is also supporting us as is Italy.
  • Options
    Ah yes, those pivotal world movers and shakers! lol.
  • Options
    Well Clandestine, it's better than feeling like we're all alone. Or that people we've helped don't give a damn if someone is out to destroy us.
  • Options
    A cynic might comment that Spain owes Bush for his support for their "brutal" campaign against the ETA...
  • Options
    The only people out to destroy anything pnj, are us (or our gov at any rate). Dont fool yourself into thinking that the general populations of those countries are supporting them or us in any way shape or form.

Since you wont listen to me and ive lived and worked amongst these people for more than a decade, then just wait to see how worse off our security and global terror situation is after we impose our unilateral will on yet another country of the middle east.

Someday you can tell your own children how you believed in the lies of the right and how regretful you are that you ever did.
  • Options
    if the USA is so powerful why does it need others support? Is it going to do what it does in almost every war and bomb more of its allies than enimies?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Clandestine....I listen with teen ears.

You gave me an idea for another topic: Nation Building!:crazyeyes
  • Options
    I don't give a monkeys toss who does or does not support the UK & USA , I just wished they'ed either get on with it and give Iraq a good stonking or leave the place alone.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    if the USA is so powerful why does it need others support? Is it going to do what it does in almost every war and bomb more of its allies than enimies?:rolleyes:

Are you declaring that you want to be an ally?