Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

France invites Mugabe to Paris

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The 15-nation EU imposed a visa ban on Mugabe and 19 of his close associates in February 2002 after Zimbabwe expelled the head of an EU team of election observers.

Now France has invited him to meet in Paris. Maybe they could invite Saddam and have a tea party with old friends?

Comments

• Options
    That France (and Belgium in the recent past) invite Mugabe over is stupid and disgusting. I hope Peter Tatchell does perform a citizen arrest on him again; even though we'll get smacked and the murderer will be allowed to walk away, it'd be a great sight.

Mind you in Britain we gave Pinochet the red carpet treatment until that Spanish judge filed an international arrest warrant. Hopefully he'll do the same again with Mugabe, since the French authorities don't seem much bothered.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Mind you in Britain we gave Pinochet the red carpet treatment until that Spanish judge filed an international arrest warrant.

Even then we eventually sent him home...
  • Options
    Surprisingly MoK, I dont agree with this at all. Chirac will lose further public support for this I have little doubt.
  • Options
    With regards Mugabe, we still trade with him, we still have diplomatic missions there.

We really aren't in any position to lecture anyone are we?

I think that the ECC got it right when they said that the Govt were saying one thing but doing another. Even if their actions were reprehensible too.