Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

An open letter to the moderators et al.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Dear all;

In the last weeks, we have seen an upturn in useage of the Politics board, both by an influx of people from Anything Goes, which is encouraging, and also the return of some familiar faces.

I would like to note that we have maintained a decorum, and while the arguments have been heated, and look to become more so, they have not been personal, nor have they been insulting.

Therefore, I would like to make some pleas:

Firstly, a plea to those who use the boards; let's keep it the same. No personal insults, no 'sheeple' comments (you know who you are :p) etc., and maybe we can keep this board the best of the lot.

Secondly a plea to the moderators. Please, please, let's not ban people who may have been banned before. Let us give them a chance, at least, to try the boards again, and to be able to post their opinions. I know they may be controversial, but hey, that's Politics and I think that the boards are better for a little controversy and some characters.

Thanks for reading.

DJP

Comments

• Options
    Nice post.
  • Options
    DJP I also agree nice post however, people dont just get banned, they have to do something bad and disobey the rules. Just because this is the Politics forum I dont think that there should be any leighway (sp) at all. If someone breaks the rules in any forum then it should be Bye Bye :)
  • Options
    DJP

what's with your hair? And t-h-a-t shirt? And for God sakes boy, stand up straight.

Just testing the limits. :p
  • Options
    I must admit though, I'm already feeling a little nervous about getting banned when I post in here.

I turn into a right bitch with politics.
    I forgot that's why I was sticking to Anything Goes.
    Ah well. You only live once (sorry-split infinitive):p
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    DJP I also agree nice post however, people dont just get banned, they have to do something bad and disobey the rules. Just because this is the Politics forum I dont think that there should be any leighway (sp) at all. If someone breaks the rules in any forum then it should be Bye Bye :)

Becks, it's not that simple in this forum. Even when Steelgate was banned for his famous comparison between rape, and a hungry man stealing a loaf of bread, some people didn't find it necessary to ban him, as politics is made up by controversy, and contradicting opinions.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

Becks, it's not that simple in this forum.

So why then have rules and regulations? You also have to bear in mind this site is aimed at younger posters, who could be easily influenced. I know the post you are on about, I also beleive that this person accused another member of some not nice things (which I wont go into) If I remember rightly that was the final straw.
    He broke the rules so got banned. Like if anyone else breaks the rules they should also be banned, you cant have one rule for one and another for someone else.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

So why then have rules and regulations? You also have to bear in mind this site is aimed at younger posters, who could be easily influenced. I know the post you are on about, I also beleive that this person accused another member of some not nice things (which I wont go into) If I remember rightly that was the final straw.
    He broke the rules so got banned. Like if anyone else breaks the rules they should also be banned, you cant have one rule for one and another for someone else.

There are rules and regulations... And as I said opinions vary for when those rules are broken and when they're not.
  • Options
    ok. even when drunk i'll try.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

There are rules and regulations... And as I said opinions vary for when those rules are broken and when they're not.

At the end of the day only Moderators can ban, so I think they do know how far to let someone go. People can report a posting and explain to the Mods why they think this person should be banned, but the Moderators are not going to ban just for the hell of it.
    We all have different opinions but the final say has to come from the Moderators, just to add please correct me if im wrong here, but Moderators warn people 1st and give them a chance to change their ways, if they refuse to abide by the rules then they
    *Kick ass* ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by PositivePain
    (sorry-split infinitive)

No it wasn't.

Nice post, DJP, but I think that if people consistently break the rules they should be banned.
  • Options
    hiya Politickers,

this is a rare appearance for me these days as - DJP is quite right in this - everyone using the board has done so in the spirit of the rules & guidelines - see Dom's rules post - and there has been no need to intervene.

While there are some ongoing feuds - we all know who I mean :) - these rarely fall into personal attacks, and are good at keeping this a lively and interesting place. I think the best way of developing your political ideas is to explain and defend them against opposing views.

But when one person comes on and starts making personal insults, it can be hard not to insult back, and things quickly degenerate. We give them a warning or two first, but we're not going to let a few idiots ruin the board.
    I'm all in favour of letting banned people have another go, but some people (e.g. onenatcons and his various incarnations) have shown that as soon as they're given another chance, they just go back to their old ways.

We also have to try to make sure theSite boards are a place that our target group (16-25 yr olds, in the UK) can come and discuss politics in a safe place, so that's another consideration in banning certain users or closing certain threads.

So please keep on as you are, be yourselves, don't worry too much about being controversial, or testing the limits - you'd get a clear warning before we'd take any action - just keep it civil: attack the argument not the person, and the board will keep getting better.

-BB :)