Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

America's new e-bomb.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This sounds good. Here's my debate, what if it falls into the terrorist's hands in the future.

Also known as the "E-bomb," the HPM is designed to zap electronics, scramble computer programs and fry communications links.

The program is so secret, the Pentagon has not released pictures involving it, nor explained precisely how it will work.

Defense experts say the weapon can either be placed aboard a Tomahawk cruise missile or fired from a special radar gun mounted on a C-130 transport jet.

The idea is to send a single powerful magnetic pulse - 2 billion watts or more moving at the speed of light - at an underground command bunker or at a suspected weapons-of-mass-destruction facility.

The article in on online on the NY Post.

Comments

• Options
    Any weapon that is designed to disable the enemy's operational capabilities without killing them is to be welcomed. I'd rather mankind abandoned war and weapon development altogether, but since that's not going to happen we can at least try to minimise casualties.

I would not be too worried about terrorists getting hold of one of these devices though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

I would not be too worried about terrorists getting hold of one of these devices though.

Can I ask what you mean by that?
  • Options
    Yes. I mean that terrorists don't have much of a chance of either stealing one of such devices or building one themselves.
  • Options
    and because the British military uses electronic equipment that has been designed to withstand the EMP from a nuclear weapon so command and control can still be retained during a time of nuclear war.
    Iraqi equipment isn't hardened against EMP.
  • Options
    Here's another new device for the war.

Poison gas detector developed for drones

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (AP) -- Federal researchers have developed an early warning device small enough to mount on a drone aircraft to detect deadly airborne gas -- a weapon officials fear Iraq may use against U.S. forces.

Once the SnifferSTAR -- which not yet been tested on an airborne drone -- is mounted, it can sample the air for various contaminants, Sandia National Laboratories spokesman Neil Singer said Sunday.

"It's a gas detector. It would fit in with a grouping of sensors that have been developed at Sandia and other places. Presumably, it could monitor those gases we suspect that (Iraqis) have," Singer said.

The flow of air past the moving aircraft would channel the gases through the device. Contaminants stick to quartz surfaces that vibrate at pre-set frequencies. The weight of the contaminants alter the frequencies and reveal their chemical signature.

"We have very few false positives," said researcher Doug Adkins.

Adkins says other gas monitors exist but are not this small -- tiny sensors sitting on a mini-platform about the size of a pat of butter, which in turn rests on a microprocessor board smaller than a credit card. It requires little power to operate and offers rapid analysis, he said.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    and because the British military uses electronic equipment that has been designed to withstand the EMP from a nuclear weapon so command and control can still be retained during a time of nuclear war.
    Iraqi equipment isn't hardened against EMP.

The bulk of Iraqi equipment is of Russian or Chinese manufacture and is either not susceptible to EMP or is hardened. There are exceptions, but they generally don't make much of a difference in militaries that train in the Soviet model. The biggest effect EMP would have in a war in Iraq is the disruption of communications between the Iraqi high command and lower echelon units. That is unlikely to have a significant effect on their regular fighting ability (the Iraqi Army is not renowned for its ability to communicate or to rapidly adjust to battlefield situations), however it would have a significant effect on the communication of orders to fire Scuds or use WMD.