Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

They were going to bomb the London Underground.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This was in Sky News today online.

Terror Suspects Held Across Europe
Nineteen suspected members of Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda group have been arrested in Spain, while in Italy police are questioning five Morrocans accused of plotting to bomb London.

In Italy, the five Morrocan men were detained at a deserted farmhouse near Venice where the group had been squatting.

Police uncovered maps and a kilo of plastic explosives.

Plans of Nato bases in Italy and a map of the London Underground were also said to have been discovered.

Comments

• Options
    I have a map of the london underground in my room :eek: :eek:

Skynews here is saying that the maps were of NATO bases, central london and the tube..

I love how you can make such assumptions. Perhaps they were going to use the tube to get to their bombing target?
  • Options
    The alternative to making an assumption is to trust that they weren't.

I'm not big on trust right now it's an awfully big chance to take. I posted this cause it's interesting to me to see this terrorist war played out on a global scale. It's so easy to spread bomb-making knowledge now. I'm surprised they're catching them. But like Tony Blair said recently to your Parliment. We have to expect that some are going to get through and be successful.
  • Options
    I heard on the news that there was no link to a bomb attack in London. Anyway..London was bombed all the time in the 70's, 80's and 90's and we dealt with it. I guess people were more sympathetic to the IRA because we kind of 'understood' their white mans cause!!
  • Options
    Also ..perhaps the name of this thread should be 'theres a vague possibility that they may have been going to bomb London!'
  • Options
    They were arrested in a country some 1,000 miles away. Amongst the many maps the police found was 1 of London.

I'm starting to get extremely tired of all this media circus bollocks and mass panic. In a year's time we can all look back and see how many of the hundreds of people arrested throughout Europe got charged with being part of a terrorist organisation.
  • Options
    *yawn* So were the IRA [going to blow up the tube] a million times funded with American money. How much of that from NJ, JP?
  • Options
    Exactly Aladdin. Ive gotten to the point where i have to laugh when nearly every day there is another claim of people linked to Al Qaeda arrested. One should be reminded of the age old fable of the boy who cried wolf.

It all basically goes to the more frightening problem I pointed out a while ago that we are once again in an age of McCarthyism with Al Qaeda under every bed now instead of Communists, but the mass of lives that will have been ruined by false accusation and the additional burden to our justice and penal systems for those who end up railroaded all the way through to unjust imprisonment in the all too rampant zeal to find the handfuls who may actually be linked to terrorism will be staggering.

Sadly the public seems incapable of recalling how this scenario has been played out before in our past because this time its a different package. Thats what is most disturbing, how willingly a new generation allows our societies to fall victim to the age old political witchhunt, whilst meanwhile our leaders are up to the same old behind the scenes pursuit of their own corrupt agendas.

Its bait and switch and the public has fallen for it and will be all the more shamed when they wake up and see how deeply we all and our nations have been betrayed.
  • Options
    It's like Al Queda (sorry I'm drunk I can't spell) has become like the word fascist; it has become a slander term for anyone remotely connected to terrorism. And as for that whole ricin thing 1. ricin is an assassin's weapon and 2. they were algerian. I assume everyone knows that for a very long time Britain has been a harbour for Algerian terrorists planning attacks upon France.
  • Options
    all the other terrorist cuases in the world have ceased to exist.
    they have all joined osama. osama is making kebabs in sadams kitchin which is built over the top of a doomsday machine.
  • Options
    and they will make us sit on our knees reading the Koran and chop off our hands all day
  • Options
    Originally posted by RoyalSubject
    *yawn* So were the IRA [going to blow up the tube] a million times funded with American money. How much of that from NJ, JP?

What is your point and how does it relate to the topic? I have never supported the IRA nor do I know anyone that ever has. I am sorry my government didn't do more to stop the fools that sent money and guns to the IRA. I am sorry and will jump in my time machine, go back to around 1969 and tell them to do more.
  • Options
    I've got something you bleeding heart liberals can think about....
    Maybe, just *maybe* the people being arrested actually are terrorists.
  • Options
    Some of them might indeed be. And I have no problem with the police doing their job and arresting who they deem to be a danger. If they're not, then presumably they'll be released without charge.

But what I'm tired of is that for the last few months every time there is an arrest that might just be related to the 'war on terror' everyone goes into overdrive over it. I mean, 5 blokes get arrested 1,000 miles away from Britain with a map of London (amongst several other maps of European cities) and the press immediately concludes that London was about to be targeted in a "deadly gas poison attack".

There are surely more serious things to worry- and report- about than making every single arrest front page news. I'm starting to wonder whether this ridiculous mass hysteria is being artificially created by interested parties.

Put it this way- if even half of those arrested were actual terrorists we would have suffered a few attacks throughout Europe. Because if the hundreds of suspects that have been arrested are Al Qaeda then there must be many more undetected ones about. What are they waiting for?
  • Options
    But what I'm tired of is that for the last few months every time there is an arrest that might just be related to the 'war on terror' everyone goes into overdrive over it. I mean, 5 blokes get arrested 1,000 miles away from Britain with a map of London (amongst several other maps of European cities) and the press immediately concludes that London was about to be targeted in a "deadly gas poison attack".

I agree. The IRA were seen as a more direct threat to London when i was growing up, and i dont recall them making arrests like this. If i remember rightly, they hardly ever arrested anyone.
    This might be wrong but isnt there still a teeny threat that the IRA or whatever they are these days, may still attack or whatever?

They seem to forget that there are terrorist cells within the UK, while they go faffing around the world chasing people who may or not be a threat.
  • Options
    whowhere, I also see massive abuse afoot in all the furor as well. Its time we remembered how the public has been duped into believing in such witchhunts just in the last century in fact as Ive reiterated time and again.

Given also the fact that ive pointed out one case of gross false accusation (without subsequent admission of wrong from either the US intelligence service or the UK authorities who acted on their initial demand for the arrest and extradition of Lofti Raissi once the so called "proof" of his link to 9/11 was handed over by the CIA and summarily dismissed as a load of unsubstantiated rubbish by the British court.

Where there is one such publicised case there are undoubtedly (given the almost daily announcements of terrorist arrests) countless others being railroaded into custody on the basis of anything but credible proof of guilt.

The Raissi case also pointed out one further disturbing fact, that those intent on carrying out these witchhunts will modify their accusations against anyone they eventually add to their "wanted" lists if and when their original claims are dismissed (rather than offer public retraction of the false accusations in order to restore that individual to his or her life and livlihood.

In the end, people had better start waking up and realising just how much momentum our societies have allowed unscrupulous powermongers on both sides of the Atlantic to gain in exerting their control over our lives. These are the real threat, far more than hyped up foreign boogeymen.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    powermongers on both sides of the Atlantic to gain in exerting their control over our lives. These are the real threat, far more than hyped up foreign boogeymen.
    The bogeymen are necessary for us to allow our glorious leaders to take away our so-called freedoms