Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

our oil!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i laughed when i read today in the papers that british troops... america have decided, are to secure the oil sites. this way the americans can't be accused of you know the story.
so how about our tony realy shows what he's made of aye! we get the oil and tell george to fuck off. he gets not one fucking thimbul full of oil until he backs an independant palestine. a propper enforced if neccessary peace settlement. go on tony, tell the ass to go fuck himself, thats our oil. would the american public back thy're forces to attack british troops, seeing as they didn't go there for the oil in the first place. go on tony.

Comments

• Options
    What the fuck has palestine got to do with Iraq?

I hope to god that our government doesnt try to exploit this situation in Iraq and use it to influence other areas of foreign policy.

That is incredibly dangerous.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    What the fuck has palestine got to do with Iraq?
    sorting and fighting our way through our problems in the middle east and further afield i would have thought. or was that a trick question?
    That is incredibly dangerous.
    the poodle turns into the british bulldog and writes some good history. very sensible in my book.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    the poodle turns into the british bulldog and writes some good history. very sensible in my book.

and if such a statement throws the middle east into a large scale war centred around Israel?

Im glad that our government wouldnt ever be so rash and short sighted.
  • Options
    A more sensible approach would be denying any military or logistical support for a campaign in Iraq until the situation in the Middle East is solved (if not in full at least partly).

As for the oil, perhaps they should just burn it, since is more of a curse to the world than a benefit nowadays. I read a letter in one of the papers today and the correspondent had a good point: forget fossil fuels and use vegetable oil instead (which can run on many engines and with less emissions). That way we can give a new lease of life to our farmers and devalue the importance of the evil black stuff.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, the people of Iraq have nothing else but the oil. :(
  • Options

and if such a statement throws the middle east into a large scale war centred around Israel?

Im glad that our government wouldnt ever be so rash and short sighted.
    if britain is to militarily secure the oil fields with the skin and blood of our teenagers, you think it makes sense to just hand them over to the big guy because thats what he'd come all this way for in the first place. no no no. britain has some fantastic and heroic and fucking outragous moments in it's history. we could have our greatest right now.
    the europeans could come to our aid. we demand that america uses this moment in time to change the course of history for the good of all of us. we get to own the oil and the yanks can buy it off us. what a glorious moment it would be for our beloved leader tony. for "our boys" in the dessert. oh fuck it i'll have to come back to poodle polotics i suppose. wheres my rizzla gone?
  • Options
    Thank god you are just a stoner and nobody important...

You scare me far more than some of our hardcore trolls.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    A more sensible approach would be denying any military or logistical support for a campaign in Iraq until the situation in the Middle East is solved (if not in full at least partly).

As for the oil, perhaps they should just burn it, since is more of a curse to the world than a benefit nowadays. I read a letter in one of the papers today and the correspondent had a good point: forget fossil fuels and use vegetable oil instead (which can run on many engines and with less emissions). That way we can give a new lease of life to our farmers and devalue the importance of the evil black stuff.
    as for denying support , we have unfortunately missed that opportunity. so lets be realy brave and keep the fucking oil!
    burning it aladin and actualy growing our own and revitalizing the countryside i live in... don't talk fuckin daft! thats far to sensible and easy. if we grew hemp...then your realy talking. it can produce motor fuel and more goods than any other plant on earth. it's a low maintanance crop...no weeding or spraying. i know about this subject.
  • Options
    The US is backing an independent Palestine in 2005.

Hamas, through continued suicide attacks and bombings, has guided Isreal to be even more right wing because people are coming to the conclusion that Hamas and others don't want a Palestinian state, they want Isreal destroyed.

The results? Sharon won't even have a labor coalition government. Hamas and others don't want peace while Isreal exists.

So it should be no surprise the Sharon has declared European opinion irrelevant and America's suggestion for an independent Palestinian state premature.
  • Options
    pnj, you should realise already that Sharon has no interest in peace and doesnt give a rats ass how many Palestinians suffer as long as he gets reelected. He rails against Arafat but it is Sharon himself who has shown repeatedly how clearly he is content with the status quo to the detriment of both Israelis and Palestinians.

Besides, if peace were established he wouldnt have a ready made target ground to make use of all the sophisticated weaponry he buys from us.

As for peace in 2005, don't fool yourself into believing that this is anything but Bush's way of sweeping his responsibility under the rug. Bush is a war maker not a peacemaker.
  • Options
    The above wasn't supposed to be posted here. hmmm. wonder where the one I went to post here went.

anyways.:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

As for the oil, perhaps they should just burn it, since is more of a curse to the world than a benefit nowadays.

Saddam already tried that, remember?
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    get the oil and tell george to fuck off. he gets not one fucking thimbul full of oil until he backs an independant palestine.

First, the US already had possession of those oilfields...and left. Second, it isn't the US who needs oil from those oilfields..it's Europe.
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    pnj, you should realise already that Sharon has no interest in peace and doesnt give a rats ass how many Palestinians suffer as long as he gets reelected.

Substitute "Arafat" for "Sharon" and the paragraph is still perfectly accurate.
  • Options
    "as the cowboys bare down on the arabs, do you hear the lion within you roar ". just a song from the 80's i'm listening to by roger waters.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    First, the US already had possession of those oilfields...and left. Second, it isn't the US who needs oil from those oilfields..it's Europe.

Interesting. US imported $88.4 bn of oil in Nov. 2002, whereas the UK is a net exporter of oil. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that approximately one-third of US oil is supplied by North slope Prudhoe stuff, but I don't think that's light sweet crude, either.

UK exports to some of Europe, too.

I would argue that, as the world's largest consumer, the US needs the oil more than Europe, especially with the decline in European manufacture not being matched in the States.
  • Options
    Suggest you research where the US buys oil (as you pointed out, the UK is one source...but I said Europe, not the UK needs Iraqi oil) and also check where Europe (specifically France and Germany) buy their oil.
  • Options
    Suggest you research where the US buys oil (as you pointed out, the UK is one source...but I said Europe, not the UK needs Iraqi oil) and also check where Europe (specifically France and Germany) buy their oil.

Did try to do that, but statistics are not forthcoming. Or at least weren't in my brief look.

I confess to knowing very little about it, but surely if Europe needed the oil, France & Germany would be very keen to see a war with Saddam to secure Gulf crude prices...?
  • Options
    Any war will destabilise the oil prices dramatically which will almost certainly lead to a rise in price....At least in the short term..What happens after the war, whenever that may be, is unknown by me.
  • Options
    I think it's safe to say that the US is much more dependant on oil than Europe... by far.
  • Options
    Thats as may be Aladdin but with specific regard to Iraq, europe needs their oil more than the US. Take away Iraqs oil and the US are fine..I even believe the US has something like half of the total amount of iraqi ground oil in their strategic oil reserve.

America isnt in any danger of running out or even facing any unusual price hikes if Iraq stopped exporting completely.

Never understood this oil argument tbh :(
  • Options
    Of course in trying to sound clever Greeny you miss the point entirely in what is meant by oil being the driving purpose for Bush's warmongering.

Its not about where people currently buy their oil from but who will control the most sources of it and thereby ensure that it is eventually only bought from them. This is hegemony in its purest and most transparent form and its no credit to your intelligence or willingness to question what you are really fighting for (certainly not our nation's freedom or democracy).

The Post WWII military is a state controlled mercenary force serving big business interests both current and future. If you cant see that from our 20th century wars with NK and Vietnam (both conveniently cloaked under the rousing banner of Anti-Communism) then I can only compliment our chiefs of staff on a comprehnsive and effective brainwashing process.
  • Options
    Any war will destabilise the oil prices dramatically which will almost certainly lead to a rise in price....At least in the short term..What happens after the war, whenever that may be, is unknown by me.
    baldog i pass no comment on the content. it's just that when i read your bit i was transported back in time to a prison cell. lying on my bunk reading whatever was available. some cheap cowboy novel. edge, i think the characters name was. his family were in a similar situation. the guys in the beef bizz were the only guys to make imediate returns. long term... well we'll be so strong nobody aint gonna be able to touch us. prison cell... the real world... you tell me.
  • Options

Now that would depend on just how pissed off OPEC became. And as for how dependent the West generally is on oil you need look no further than 1974.

I dont think the US is after the oil because it needs it, but because it does not like being dictated to by OPEC. The US generally does not like being bossed about, as many of its recent wars have shown, most spectacularly in North Korea.

And of course there is no proof of this feeling I have, but I dont think its any more preposterous than the idea that destroying Saddam will rid the world of Al Qaeda. Given that most terrorist arrests seem to be emanating from Algeria, that idea is even more ridiculous.
  • Options
    remember within the first few momths of the bush presidency he said to the world that if china russia or anyone else tried to interfere with americas future plans, he wouldn't hesitate to nuke them. this was before 9/11. we laughed about it. you cant go round saying things like that we all thought. there was no obvious reason for him saying it other than, we had all been expecting stuff like that if this guy were to become president. he did. now we have it. the only super power realising it's moment.
    but at the wrong time and in the wrong way. i seriously think this is the collapse of the last super power. were all going to feel the repercussions.
  • Options
    The United States had an Army sitting atop the oil fields of Kuwait and Iraq....and left. Remember?
  • Options
    And just how exactly could it have stayed in Kuwait, given the Gulf war started cos Iraq invaded Kuwait?
    How exactly could it have taken all the oil in Iraq as the wars mandate was simply to protect Kuwait and push Iraq back into its own territory?

The difference this time is that with the propaganda a change of leader to a more...amenable...leader is on the cards, its been openly stated by Bush.

Do you need Professor Libestrom to explain it to you as well?
  • Options
    The United States had an Army sitting atop the oil fields of Kuwait and Iraq....and left. Remember?
    oil fields ablaze. an army that hadn't been equiped for the long haul. sent by a man who didn't look very far ahead.
    that was then. the world has changed. whoever...whatever...the heart of america has been attacked in quite a spectacular way.
    there is no way that america is going to let anyone control the middle east oil supplies. different reasons now. osama is not going to be alowed home to overthrow the royal family so that he can switch the oil off. american muscle is being flexed. it's power is about to be unleashed. but these things were so obviously being planned long before the rigged election. long before 9/11.