Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What good is the war on drugs?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Shouldn't some narcotics be legalised?

Comments

• Options
    The War on Drugs is much the same as the War on Terrorism. Both funded by the same agencies sworn to combat them and all in the interest of providing additional points to campaign on in every future election. Neither can or will ever be won unless and until we are prepared to root out and eliminate the many levels of corruption in our own Western "democratic" governments.
  • Options
    I cannot think of a single reason why cannabis, cocaine or ecstasy should be illegal.
  • Options
    Its stupid...

Personally im for legalising all drugs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    The War on Drugs is much the same as the War on Terrorism. Both funded by the same agencies sworn to combat them and all in the interest of providing additional points to campaign on in every future election. Neither can or will ever be won unless and until we are prepared to root out and eliminate the many levels of corruption in our own Western "democratic" governments.

The war on drugs simply does not work. Why send Royal Navy cruisers to Latin America to catch drug smugglers when the supply still reaches Britain?

Narcotics should be legalised.
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat

The war on drugs simply does not work. Why send Royal Navy cruisers to Latin America to catch drug smugglers when the supply still reaches Britain?

Narcotics should be legalised.
    they all ready are a perfectly legitamate biz for thousands of people turning over billions upon billions of pounds , in what is the second biggest turnover on the planet...death by metal being the biggest.
    the drugs are moving around the world in ships and submarines. trucks and areo planes. areo? by set trading routes. there are billions involved. meaning men who own palaces and armies.
    hotels and diners in america. mortgage companies. night clubs. holiday resorts, are doing very well. it's only ilegal when they get caught.who and how....do you, or would be able to stop...or even want to stop such vast somes of money moving about? it obviously suits somebody.
    the us have just sent troops in to colubia and said were having your oil. presumably the cocaine as well to fund the wars.
  • Options
    i think its a large waste of money. not because i'm for legalizing every drug out there, its because that people are going to find what they want no matter what. it doesn't matter if they harshen the drug laws anymore, people are going to sell it and people are going to buy it. and more importantly, if they somehow manage to significantly lessen the amount of drugs out on the streets, people are going to find substitutes.
  • Options
    The war on drugs (the suppliers) isn't working so lets make drug taking a hanging offence, if the suppliers have noone to sell to......
  • Options
    Fortunately we got rid of that barbaric method of punishment in this parts a few decades ago. We also believe that taking drugs is a far less serious issue than, say being a right-winger.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DinkyDau
    The war on drugs (the suppliers) isn't working so lets make drug taking a hanging offence, if the suppliers have noone to sell to......
    if i seriously thought i was going to be faced with that kind of attitude becuase i choose to smoke marlborough,then i would have to make sure you weren't definately not going to catch me. i'd buy a big fuck off gun and keep my eye on folk like you.
  • Options
    It's important to keep drugs illegal. They waste people's lives as does too much alcohol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    It's important to keep drugs illegal. They waste people's lives as does too much alcohol.

and thuse you highlight the contradiction.

Smoking kills, as does alcohol. Yet both are perfectly legal.
  • Options
    Like MoK said, taken with moderation drugs are no more dangerous than alcohol, smoking or eating fatty foods. Yet the latter are legal (and practically encouraged by governments) whereas drugs are not. :confused: :rolleyes:

At the end of the day I am an adult who fully understands the dangers associated with drugs. I do not recognise any government's authority in the world that tries to stop me from what I please with my own body. If I want to drink 15 pints of beer a day or drive nails through my toes it's nobody's business. And if I want to take a few pills at the weekend or smoke a few joints at home is certainly nobody's business.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    It's important to keep drugs illegal.

Why?

In the interest of freedom, narcotics should be legalised.
  • Options
    Thats a bit of a simple argument, I could say the same thing about any law that restricts what I can do....
  • Options
    Originally posted by monocrat
    In the interest of freedom, narcotics should be legalised.
    Then you would have an epidemic of cocaine and heroin addiction as never before! Certain drugs must be kept illegal as they are so dangerous and addictive. Try telling all drugs should be legalised to the mother of a dead heroin addict or the mother of a son with a 400 pound a week crack cocaine habit who has to go out and steal to feed his addiction.

Cannabis and some other soft drugs tough could be legalised without serious consequences as these drugs are no more harmful tham alcohol or tobbacco. Legalising hard drugs though is madness.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hornblower
    Then you would have an epidemic of cocaine and heroin addiction as never before!
    we already have got that you dumbass! ask the mothers of dead junkies etc.
    before you make statements like this, which is based on nothing but your personal belief, check out the facts about the drugs and they're places in history and culture over the years.
    what happened when heroin was legal in the united kingdom? all of europe? what happened in america when they handed the manufacture and distribution of alcohol to criminals?
    "the drug war". any other war that had been fought so hard and achieved exactly the opposite of what it hoped to achieve, would long ago have been deemed to have been lost, or to be simply a fools war.
  • Options
    The problem with your argument Hornblower is that drugs are already readily available to those who want it. One thing this or any other government in the world refuse to admit (even though deep down the know it) is that they will never, ever be able to stop people from taking drugs.

Parting from that basis the government should simply decriminalise drugs and sell them under strict conditions. No one is saying you should buy cocaine from a dispensing machine in the pub. There should be licensed shops for over 18s where drugs can be bought. And it'd be a good idea if for the really dangerous substances, such as heroin or crack, the drug is only sold to those with a medical prescription certifying them as addicts.

The benefits of legalasing drugs are just enormous. For starters it will dramatically reduce if not completely eradicate all drug related crime, which accounts for at least 75% of all street crime. How nice would it be to get rid of 3 out of 4 crimes overnight???

The government would make an absolute killing on tax revenue. The many billions raised each year could be used on health, on drug education and inner-city regeneration, further reducing the impact of drugs on the community.

And last but not least is the very fundamental issue of personal freedom. I do not recognise any person, agency or country's authority that tells me what I can or cannot do with my own body. That perfectly honest and law abiding citizens are being sent to jail because they choose to take a few pills at weekends or enjoy their charlie or joint in their free time is an absolute disgrace. Even more so when you consider that the government is not only allowing but actively encouraging the consumption of the most socially damaging and evil drug of all: alcohol.

I don't fancy going to jail, but I want even less to have my life dictated by a totally clueless and misguided Establishment. I have and will continue taking any drugs I fancy as a personal choice and fundamental right. If I get caught and sent to jail for it, so be it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hornblower
    Then you would have an epidemic of cocaine and heroin addiction as never before! Certain drugs must be kept illegal as they are so dangerous and addictive. Try telling all drugs should be legalised to the mother of a dead heroin addict or the mother of a son with a 400 pound a week crack cocaine habit who has to go out and steal to feed his addiction.

Criminalising druigs is 'madness'. People should be free to do with their body as they choose. If that means taking drugs then so be it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Thats a bit of a simple argument, I could say the same thing about any law that restricts what I can do....

But drug taking doesn't have to harm others. That's the limit to anybody's freedom.