Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Most Americans don't want the war.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The news came out with stats from a bunch of American cities. About 44% of the people think the war in Iraq is a good idea. It's not that they don't see Saddam as a creep, it's that they don't want the US to be the world's cop and they don't want us getting involved in a screwed up area of the world.

Trouble is, that's exactly what Bin Laden played on. I'm trusting Bush on this one. Maybe they know something we don't. Of course the poll also said...people want to know if there's any evidence before we put 250,000 American lives on the line plus the British. I'm intentionally leaving out Iraqis. One too many death to America scenes. I don't care what happens to them.

Comments

• Options
    Many of those scenes have long since been reported by numerous international media to have been either contrived video footage of small groups or else scenes from years past and other situations altogether. Most if not all in fact had nothing to do with Iraqis, but rather groups in the Palestinian territories or in North Africa.

Once again I caution you not to be so gullible as to think our government isnt capable of broadcasting whatever sensationalist propaganda it deems necessary to swing public opinion to their right wing warmongering cause.

You just do not have the length of years nor the life experience to appreciate that this kind of crap has been pulled on the American public time and time again only to be exposed years later for the lies they are.

If you turst Bush then I truly question your critical reasoning capabilities far more than I question his. lol.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Many of those scenes have long since been reported by numerous international media to have been either contrived video footage of small groups or else scenes from years past and other situations altogether. Most if not all in fact had nothing to do with Iraqis, but rather groups in the Palestinian territories or in North Africa.

Once again I caution you not to be so gullible as to think our government isnt capable of broadcasting whatever sensationalist propaganda it deems necessary to swing public opinion to their right wing warmongering cause.

You just do not have the length of years nor the life experience to appreciate that this kind of crap has been pulled on the American public time and time again only to be exposed years later for the lies they are.

If you turst Bush then I truly question your critical reasoning capabilities far more than I question his. lol.

I think I would believe the free press in OUR country before I would believe the likes of you. I will forever defend your right to say or state your opinion, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with you.
  • Options
    I get my info from so many Western sources. I just can't believe in a global media conspiracy to lie. There's too many checks and balances in all of these Western countries. I'm sure people in Iraq do chant in front of cameras so they don't get tortured by Saddam. But that's just another reason to get rid of him.
  • Options
    well I thought it was quite probable that most Americans dont want war - but George bloody Bush does, and we all knew he was a warmonger before he even got in. Hes a dangerous man and i dont think hell stop until hes blown up the whole world.
  • Options
    Obviously you cant read. I didnt say that the entirety of the international media was compliant with the American government's BS.

To the contrary, I stated quite clearly that many of these scenes you use as a basis for believing that terrorists are lurking around every corner as our government would have you believe were shown by numerous international media agencies and press reports to have been footage of small, purposely organised, groups of excitables and in fact none of which were Iraqi. Much of the footage shown in the US, to a public largely ignorant of the world outside our shores, were of Palestinians demonstrating against US support for Israel.

hk, that our media is "free" and unbiased is a myth I hope you (if certainly not pnj) will eventually come to understand.

The vast majority of media agencies in the US are owned and controlled by very powerful moguls who have clearly verifiable political ties with the more hardline right wing of the Republican Party. You can bet that they will quash any attempts by enthusiastic investigative journalists within their organisations to conduct in depth enquiries into the corrupt intentions of the Bush administration. The days of gutsy journalists like Woodward and Bernstein are long gone.

Don't be so naive as to think that what can and cannot be printed or shown to the US public isnt dictated by elements of our Washington power structure. We are not immune from self serving propganda my friend. The sooner you learn that, the sooner youll start to notice more carefully what these reports arent telling you and what questons they still to date have not provided satisfactory answers to.

I do know for a fact that much of what is reported on CNN international (or America Propaganda Internation as I call it) is not shown on CNN in the US. That alone suggests that there are numerous overseas activities of our government that they have no intention of allowing the public to find out about easily (since the average joe probably doesnt care to do any personal research into what he doesnt hear convenient broadcast on the evening news). This being the case, I also have little doubt that much of what is going on inside the country is also kept under wraps or, at most, packaged with a healthy dose of "anti-terrorist activity" coloring so that, once again, very few will question whether all this is true or just very easily contrived BS in light of 9/11.

Either way, the fact that such a large percentage of the American population are still following Bush and Co like happy zombies only reinforces the fact that Americans at home see less of what our government has been doing in our name - and what they are most certainly capable of doing to further their own ends (not our nation's ends but their own) - than the rest of the world sees.
  • Options
    Obviously you cant read...

And some are quite pleased with themselves to slurp down the fetid liberal offal which sustains them... ;)
  • Options
    Id rather slurp down liberal humanocentric offal than the much more power and greed-inspired fetid Right-wing offal that Washington is overseeing the distribution of worldwide.

Caring about exposing the lies and misdirections of those who would shape the planet for their own economic interest regardless of the suffering it causes has got to be preferable to paranoid delusions of enemies around every corner (a delusion which becomes reality only when such right-wing fear-mongers as we have leading our nation are allowed to shovel their shite higher upon messes which were of their own making in the first place with no significant criticism to be heard from a sheepish flag waving public).
  • Options
    it may come as one big fuck off surprise to you pissinthepot but i'd bet everything i own that the iraqi people don't want this war either! shock fucking horror...
    before bush became your great gobshite of a leader, we in europe were saying things like; "for fucks sake, if this bush guy gets in, there are going to be all kinds of wars, all kinds of shit is going to happen". realy we were. but we knew that such an extreme situation couldn't realy happen...and it didn't happen did it. the fucking election had to be rigged to make it happen.
    WAKE UP!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    pissinthepot

LMFAO :D Yeah much better, I can prononce that :D
  • Options
    The latest:

For example, the Pew poll suggested that support for war is strong, 76 percent, if U.N. inspectors find nuclear, biological or chemical weapons in Iraq. The support is evenly split if they find no weapons but determine Iraq has the ability to make these weapons.

The public does not buy the administration's argument that Iraq must prove it does not have these weapons to avoid a U.S. attack. Almost two-thirds, 63 percent, said Iraq's failure to prove it does not have weapons would not be a sufficient reason for a war.

More than half, 53 percent, say the president has not yet explained clearly what's at stake to justify the United States using military force to end Saddam's rule, according to the poll. Some 42 percent say he has.
  • Options
    CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- The City Council voted 46-1 Thursday against a unilateral military attack on Iraq unless it is shown to be a real threat to the United States.

The resolution said military action against Iraq would cost billions of dollars, and during the debate, council members discussed how federal budget cuts could affect programs that benefit Chicago residents.

"We don't want our boys and our girls to go to war," Alderman Dorothy Tillman said.

Anti-war statements have been passed in others cities, including San Francisco, Seattle, Ithaca, New York, and Kalamazoo, Michigan.
  • Options
    And it remains to be seen how much concern Bush gives those local decisions.
  • Options
    Zero Clandestine.

I think the US is preparing for a unilateral strike and to be in Iraq securing a new government for a long time. My reason for thinking that is the large number of air craft carriers headed for there. They don't expect the war to take long but the peace will. Also there's some in the Bush cabinet who'd like to go after Iran and Syria too. They're sending over an awful lot of troops and ships just for Iraq.
  • Options
    How well I am aware of that. The ones you need to watch in the cabinet are Rumdsfeld and Cheney but more so even than them are the one's who have the president's ear who arent in the cabinet but yet are in the administration, chiefly Paul Wolfowitz and Pentagon Consultant Richard Perle. These are the guys who have been pushing hardest for War.
  • Options
    I see that the extreme right wing are beginning to go to the ropes here clandestine :)

All set for the anti-war demo on the 15th of February mate? Should be a right good one. Onwards and upwards as they say icon14.gif

The higher they build their barriers, the taller I become... ad infinitum... :)
  • Options
    Ooops, nearly forgot the link.

Silly me :confused:http://www.stopwar.org.uk/
  • Options
    The ones you need to watch
    are the ones we've never seen or heard of who are pulling the fucking strings and driving agendas we can only sweat about in our uncomfortable sleep.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    are the ones we've never seen or heard of who are pulling the fucking strings and driving agendas we can only sweat about in our uncomfortable sleep.
    Never a truer word said morrocan icon14.gif