Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Argument against war in Iraq

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i always see both sides of things. So this argument against war with Iraq right now was in the Mirror UK. Sounds logical to me.

Our anti-terrorist police, special branch and MI5 are clearly doing a great job, as the Wood Green bust proves. But they face an enormous task.

They have to keep tabs on the several thousand al-Qaeda operatives who, one security insider estimates, are living in Britain, and maintain round-the-clock surveillance of the 500 or so thought to have received paramilitary training in Afghanistan or elsewhere.

So in other words, the UK and US should focus on Al Qaeda, not on nutty Saddam. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    right, we gave saddam all the weapons and germs and chemicals
    and other machinery of death that he wanted. all he had to do was ask and he got it...from us. because americas great demon of the time was iran. we kept that war going as long as it suited us, the west. mostly america. 11yrs we kept it up.
    when saddam used these weapons within his own borders on civilians the british and american governments refused to listen to all the humanitarian agencies words of despair and caarried on giving him all he wished for.
    then, the american administration led saddam to believe he could invade kuwait and sieze it's oil fields for himself with impunity.
    they actualy encouraged the invasion of what is historicaly part of iraq anyway.
    but saddams usefulness to us had come to an end. we had tricked him. the americans were reffering to iraq as the great jewel , a great prize to be had long before this.
    saddam has never been linked to any terrorist activity against any western country.
    saddam dreams of building palaces and highways. restoring ancient babylon along with the famous hanging gardens. he had made great progress in this endevour but we and our bombers destroyed it all. saddam would love to have his old relationship with the west back as it was. his desire is to sell oil and build things and be remembered.
    tell me...WHAT HAS THIS MAN EVER DONE AGAINST THE WEST?
  • Options
    I agree with what you wrote M.R.

Although this post was about NOT going to war with Iraq for the reasons listed by the Mirror UK...that we need to focus on Al Qaeda.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    I agree with what you wrote M.R.

Although this post was about NOT going to war with Iraq for the reasons listed by the Mirror UK...that we need to focus on Al Qaeda.
    what gets me poet is that osama seems to have dissapered off any political agenda. was he ever in afghanistan? the bin laden family sre very close friends and bizz associates of goerge senior...the pakistani inteligence chief was interviwed on bbc radio 4 in the uk, two months before 9/11 where he was discussing americas alredy planned invasion of afghanistan. thats all largely being forgotten and this huge bullshit story about iraq now dominates the public thinking.why do i smell a rat?
  • Options
    yup the bin laden's are in with bush and others in the US as well as I think his name is John Manly in the UK...if not that name some big shot. They're in the Carlyle Investment group. Last night someone on our news said he left Pakistan last summer. He's now either in Yemen, Southeast Asia or Africa. (Guess that narrows it down to some place on earth.)
  • Options
    He might well be dead. The problem with using half tonne air-fuel bombs is that they vaporise everything in a 600 metre radius. If bin Laden had been caught in the vicinity of one such bomb there wouldn't even be a piece of tooth left to identify him by.

But dead or alive, the threat of Al Queida and other terrorist organisations is real. I'm not one to panic easily and many of this terror threats and scares turn out to be nothing... But there is still danger of a mass attack on the UK, US or elsewhere, and apart from all the arguments previously put forward against a war on Iraq, Bush and Blair are putting all their resources and undivided attention to Saddam when they should be concentrating in eliminating such terrorist threats.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    He might well be dead. The problem with using half tonne air-fuel bombs is that they vaporise everything in a 600 metre radius. If bin Laden had been caught in the vicinity of one such bomb there wouldn't even be a piece of tooth left to identify him by.

But dead or alive, the threat of Al Queida and other terrorist organisations is real. I'm not one to panic easily and many of this terror threats and scares turn out to be nothing... But there is still danger of a mass attack on the UK, US or elsewhere, and apart from all the arguments previously put forward against a war on Iraq, Bush and Blair are putting all their resources and undivided attention to Saddam when they should be concentrating in eliminating such terrorist threats.
    i think we're all in agreement then. remember to keep one eye on the bullshit machine.