Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Emotions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is for the guys, cos im curious :)

Do you think these days fellas/lads show their emotions more? Like the older generation fellas dont cry, they bottle it up, hide there feelings and never let all there emotions out, they try to act the hard man and they have to take care of the missus or girlfriend.
So does the younger generation find it easier to show there emotions?

Comments

• Options
    It's not exactly easy too...

I cry a lot though, especialy for a lad. I'm very good at hiding my feelings but hardly ever do, I'm comfortable with letting people know how I feel, and if they don't like it well meh, it's they're loss - well actualy it's probably my loss, but I've conned myself into believing that they're the ones suffering from it, hehe. I'd like to think that I'm quite sensitive and I get upset very easily. Meh.
  • Options
    I've seen loooooadsa lads cry. A few of my exes, my brother, some of my mates etc etc.

Some people though still have problems showing their emotions. Sometimes i think its more to do with their upbringing rather than their generatation in general.
  • Options
    Re: Emotions
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    This is for the guys, cos im curious :)

Do you think these days fellas/lads show their emotions more? Like the older generation fellas dont cry, they bottle it up, hide there feelings and never let all there emotions out, they try to act the hard man and they have to take care of the missus or girlfriend.
    So does the younger generation find it easier to show there emotions?
    WRONG MRS BOO...i can cry quite easily and am not at all afraid of showing my emotions. i'm both of what you describe realy. emily quite often comments on my welling up over certain things and people. usualy nice things. if it's serious and grusome, then i do find that i automaticaly go in to, "i can handle it " mode. ven if i think i cant realy but have no choice but to.
  • Options
    Ive hardly ever seen a man/fella cry. The people I know bottle it all up, and as I say act the hubby/boyfriend who has got to be strong for the female.
  • Options
    Just been talking about this in my LJ.

I'm personally very emotional. OK, I don't cry all the time, but if something affects me then it really gets to me. I've cried a lot over the last couple of months, but I've not been unhappy. I cry tears of happiness too, even about things people might just take for granted.

I think men in general aren't very good at showing their emotions. Most seem to want a macho image, whereas I'm not like that at all. I don't mind being single if being in a relationship means being macho and emotionless, because its just not me.

But that's just me :)
  • Options
    I hide my emotions.
    I manage quite well.
  • Options
    I think girls want both, they want the "hard man" because they've seen how there fathers are etc. (Obviously not everyone girl!)

but they also want there blokes to open up to them and for him to share his thoughts and feelings with her and talk to her with the words "dinner", 'beer' and 'football' involved:p

you women send so many mix signals they it's hard to find out what is acceptable and what's not.

I personally don't cry, I'll up to a point share my feelings with people. I think I'm an open guy, BUT there something I wont tell a girls and then you get nag and they wonder why you don't open up to them but you don't want to come across as weak
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    I hide my emotions.
    I manage quite well.
    Me too and I'm female!
  • Options
    I hide my emotions.
    I manage quite well.

Yeah so do I & i'm female. Only time where I really let out how I feel is when i'm pissed off & even then it takes a bit of persuasion. I tend to keep my feelings firmly to myself.
  • Options
    Random thats the same with me, sometimes I put on a face, its all just an act, im a brilliant performer so people think im the hard face cow, who has no emotions. You know what I mean like I dont care or sommat, but thats all I know, just hide my feelings:)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    Me too and I'm female!

:D

Does anyone hide their emotions for a particular reason, or just because?

I'm "just because"
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Random thats the same with me, sometimes I put on a face, its all just an act, im a brilliant performer so people think im the hard face cow, who has no emotions. You know what I mean like I dont care or sommat, but thats all I know, just hide my feelings:)

You? Hard faced cow? :no: surely not.

Edited to add: I can show anger.
  • Options

I can show anger.

Can't show anger, I end up crying. If I'm really angry about something (not often), I'll walk out of the room and play Kylie really loud. As a statement of my anger :mad:

I also go red really easily. Really easily :o
  • Options

I'm "just because"
    I've never thought about it really.

I guess I like to give an image of perfection, someone who doesn't lose their temper or cry etc (except when I have PMT but that doesn't count). To an extent hiding my emotions is the same as wearing make up- to give a flawless appearance no matter what you really are feeling, to also look the same even when really you are stressed or hungover or whatever.

Often I hide emotions for the benefit of others- when someone close to me is ill I generally try to be strong for their sakes, when I am depressed I like to hide it as I think my parents would be upset to know how I really feel.

Does that make sense?
  • Options

You? Hard faced cow? :no: surely not.

Edited to add: I can show anger.

Seriously in the "real" world I have to act this way, people always associate me as being the one who never shows emotion. The thing is if only they knew what im like when they dissapear then they'd see a different me:)
    Thats what I mean, its all an act. Let them think im not bothered then nobody can walk over me :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    I've never thought about it really.

I guess I like to give an image of perfection, someone who doesn't lose their temper or cry etc (except when I have PMT but that doesn't count). To an extent hiding my emotions is the same as wearing make up- to give a flawless appearance no matter what you really are feeling, to also look the same even when really you are stressed or hungover or whatever.

Often I hide emotions for the benefit of others- when someone close to me is ill I generally try to be strong for their sakes, when I am depressed I like to hide it as I think my parents would be upset to know how I really feel.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, it makes sense.

Brian: I go red easily, too!
  • Options

I'm "just because"

I can show anger, bitchyness, and other unfriendly traits. But I hate letting people see me sad, crying, vulnerable or fragile.
    I don't want people to pitty me, and percieve me as weak.
    I want to show that I can rise above any difficulty that I might have, and turn out superior.

I might turn out the fool that way. And it doesn't always makes things easier. At times it's quite the opposite.
    But I would rather die, than feeling totally useless and impotent.
  • Options
    I generally bottle things up and hide my emotions in front of others. Occasionally i accidently let them out.
  • Options
    I don't let people know how Im feeling. I'll only tell people I wanna tell. I know guys who cry, but most of the guys I know think they're all hard as nails and have no emotion at all. Guys should be able to cry without being called a sissy...everyone alwyas feels better after crying rain.gif
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I hate letting people see me sad, crying, vulnerable or fragile.
    I don't want people to pitty me, and percieve me as weak.
    I want to show that I can rise above any difficulty that I might have, and turn out superior.

Same here and it has only happened twice that people have seen it. Typically they are both male. Bleh.
  • Options
    I found out tha hard way that people can't be bothered with your true emotions. I only have very few people that I can show my real emotions to.

Few years back, I had a severe depression and as you can imagine, I brought people down with me. I still have people telling me how bad it was to be around me. I still feel depressed or sad sometimes but I've learned to hide it at all cost.

Besides that, I learned that, especially for guys, there's always a sort of game going on to see how much you can take. You know? Making bad comments to see how much humor you got. See if they can make you break down. I only recently became aware of this, which makes that game harder.

I think the same thing goes for women. People seem to always wonder how tough you are and they keep testing it. This is why I hardly ever show emotions, and I think a lot of guys with me.

Showing emotions for guys is conceived as a weakness.
  • Options
    I nearly cried on the phone to my girlfriend the other day:

I was on the phone to her whilst I was watching Villa vs Liverpool (I'm a Villa fan). She was trying to explain how much she loves me when Liverpool scored the fourth (to make it 4-3 with about 2mins left). I could hear it in my voice so no doubt she could. She probably thinks I'm really sweet cos of that. Little does she know it was because I was so gutted cos of the football...

I'm such a bastard sometimes
  • Options
    emotions, bah. they get you nowhere. only make things more difficult
  • Options
    I bottle it all up.

I didn't cry at my Dad's funeral although I was utterly devastated. I didn't cry at the funeral of one of my best friends either.

However, now and again, usually after I've had a couple of drinks, something will make me think of one or the other of them and I'll be inconsolable for hours. I remember one year at a BMF event, sitting in the entrance to our tent, having a can of beer, listening to the bikes revving up all around us, the people tallking and laughing, looking at the stars and thinking how much my Dad would have enjoyed being there with us. I cried lots that night.
  • Options
    i dont bottle it up. if im angry i shout. if im depressed i cry which isnt very fun in school espeically
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I cry quite often, normaly when I watch people dying in films, people being beaten and other nasties. I cried the other night because I didn't know what to do in life. It's all a darn paradox, and I wasn't sure which side of it was the right side, the side I want to be on.
    I'm still not really. I'll just follow everyone else. But should I follow, is this some test?
    Buggered if I know.

Okay....you've lost me :p