Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Love is...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
'Love is a form of personal gain that satisfies others'

I don't know where the hell I got this saying from but I thought I'd list it on here just for a laugh. Manipulative idea of love? Or just realistic?

Comments

• Options
    .... a crock of sh*t.

Next question.
  • Options
    Love is a temporary state of dillusion that allows you to see no faults with your loved one hence love is blind!
    I know some people who claim to have found about ten loves of their life! What a load of crap :crazyeyes
  • Options
    "Mohaba ni toga"

indeed. But Love is still such a special thing. Some of the best things can be explained scientifically but shouldn't really. What about that moment when your heart stops just as you are about to do something momentous in your life. It is more momentous if you aren't thinking - it is the adrenaline in my system which has stopped my heart temporarily....

Love is Love, it is not a thing to be studied IMO. Although that scientific case study on santa claus was funny.....
  • Options
    i think love is crap ur happy then u fight then u split or if u really like to suffer ur happy u marry then u stay together cuz its cheaper to live together then apart
  • Options
    Love is painful :crying:

Lea :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by 1st_angel
    .... a crock of sh*t.

Next question.

Next question is: reason?

Some fairly different views on love here... this is going to turn into one of these raging debates that wind on for ages and ages...

I'm not sure if I agree with the saying myself, I think love is about a bit more than personal gain. Yet that saying seemed to come straight out of my mind. Can't even understand myself! :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by will haycock
    Next question is: reason?

I'm a cynic. That's the only reason I have. That and if I wasn't in love I'd be able to have wicked way with various people who are not my boyfriend. O well, must behave
  • Options
    I agree with what was said earlier about love being blind.

I've had 2 people who I thought I was in love with. The first one I probably was properly in love with, but despite his efforts of being the biggest bastard ever, I loved him throughout. He even threatened to kill me because I had a pregnancy scary! Dumbass. :rolleyes:

The second man was someone I fell in love with from afar really. Or at least I *thought* I loved. Still hurts though.

Pah. This love thing can go take a jump. Until I meet my other half, I don't wanna know. I'm sick of having to pick myself up again after one shite relationship after the other.

Sorry, rant over... :o
  • Options
    If both parties gain from love where does the manipulation come in?

and who gains more out of love?
  • Options

O well, must behave

That is debateable, in this day and age... ;)

Only joking, course you should behave

If both parties gain from love where does the manipulation come in?

and who gains more out of love?
    [/B]

difficult question..There can still be some manipulation going on, even if things are basically equal. As for who gains more, that largely depends on circumstance.
  • Options
    love is understanding, and willing to learn in every way. :)
  • Options
    .... a crock of sh*t.

Next question.

i was just going to put crap, but you said it nicely.derek sucks
  • Options
    The book I'm reading had a good quote about love. It said 'I don't know what love is, but I know what it does'. I liked that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    The book I'm reading had a good quote about love. It said 'I don't know what love is, but I know what it does'. I liked that.

That's a lovely quote. I always liked this one.

"Age does not protect you from love. But love, to some extent, protects you from age."

Oooooh and this one too...

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."

Hehe.
  • Options
    I always wheel out my own personal response in reply to this type of question.

"Love is the most amazing thing we have been given, and nothing will ever compare in beauty or magnificence. So many emotions are encompassed in that one word. Dreams, hopes, triumphs, losses, heartbreak and indescribable joy and pain.

But nobody truly understands love. It seems to be universal. Timeless. Yet it's also very individual, filtered by our own lives, experiences and expectations. I don't and can't understand love, because it is a different thing for each of us. It is by no means simple. Some say it is based on friendship, Others say it has its base in trust, sharing, honesty. To be honest it has roots in all these.

Love is a beautiful thing for those who are lucky enough to possess it. People say they would do anything for it. It is a many splendoured thing, but also a heartache unto itself if it should go awry."

Thats my response anyway. Mind you, too many people cannot distinguish between love and lust. Love is akin to honey, lust is like candy. Candy tastes like honey, but it's cheaper and a lot easier to get. Think about it.
  • Options
    that sums it up pretty well.
  • Options
    Love is.....

Overated
  • Options
    Love is something that is difficult to find, but once found, a person will cherish it forever.

He is winding the watch of his wit; by and by it will strike.

William Shakespeare (1564-1616
  • Options
    just another word, non-existant, a lie, total shit, waste of breath, love is the cause of hell.
  • Options
    Very few peopl eacyually know what love is never mind exprience it. I myself have often thought I was in love but a couple of months later realised i was just being delusional. You would think I would learn? Well sadly not! I'm "in love" now...give it a couple of months and I might be level minded again.
  • Options
    love and lust, very confusing emotions, especially when you're young.