Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Some questions.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't normally frequent these boards, but I have two questions I was hoping you could answer for me?

[*]What is the history of the Arab - Israeli conflict, in quite simple terms?

[*]It is said that Al Gore won the popular vote in the 2000 US election. Can someone confirm this, and explain how it is that Bush won?

(I've heard something about the votes being 'fixed' in Florida so that a large % of eligible voters were somehow wiped from the electoral register)

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Arab-Israeli conflict in very basis form...

1900-1917 - Zionist jews looking round the world and thinking of forming a zionist state. Main idea for location is Argentina
    1917-1919 - As WW1 ends, Britain is given mandate of several areas in the middle east, including Palestine. Britian is to administer these regions until they can do it on their own at which point they will become independant.
    1930s-40s - As Hitler gains power in Germany, many european jews emmigrate, many go to Palestine as there is already a jewish community there.
    WW2 - Extremist jewish groups carry out terrorist attacks on the British troops in Palestine and various arab targets. Various reasons, they want their own state, british troops stopping jewish immigration etc.
    1948 - The UN decides to split Palestine in two. One Jewish state, one Arab state with Jerusalem to be an international city run by the UN as it is such an important place to both sides.
    1948 (12 hours later) - Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon and Iraq invade the newly formed Israel seeking its total destruction. Israel wins, just.
    1956 - Sinai campaign, Egypt blockading Israeli shipping, terrorism and Sinai heavily militarised. War followed.
    1967 - Six day war. Terrorism, syrian bombardment, massive egyptian military buildup followed by Egypt ordering UN troops out of the area, Israel launched preemptive strike....Israel won and claimed the current occupied territories as a buffer zone between themselves and arab nations.
    1973 - yom kippur war. Holiest day of Jewish year, Egypt and Syria launched a surprise attack on Israel. Three weeks and Israel won.

Thats pretty much it as for the major events..Im sure ive missed some though., Going any deeper would show my bias :)
  • Options
    The US government is not elected on the basis of popular vote. The electoral college is how their system works and Bush won more electoral college votes.
  • Options
    Thank you! I don't care if I come accross really thick here, but have I got this right:

The fighting in the middle east is between the arabs who think that Palestine should be all theirs, so to speak - a muslim territory. However, Israel (which is part of Palestine???) made up of Jews, believe that they have every right to be there. :confused:

Can I print your reply out Balddog?
  • Options
    Not wanting to get into yet another discussion about Israel/Palestine, but just to point out that the current fighting, terrorists attacks and general grief in the Middle East is prompted by Israel's refusal to dismantle its illegal settlements in the West Bank and Gaza and allow and recognise an independent Palestinian nation, as per countless UN resolutions and international law. There is a radical element who would like to see Israel destroyed- but there is also an Israeli fundamentalist element (up to 47% of the population according to one poll) who would also like to drive all Arabs out to the sea and take Palestine for good.

The great majority of Palestinians would happily settle for pre-1967 West Bank and Gaza territories and a shared Jerusalem.
  • Options
    Yep that would be what I forgot, the most important part...DOH!

Since Israel took the occupied territories, they have been building settlements on the land. Now this land was originally just a temporary seizure by the Israelis to act as a buffer in case the arabs got stroppy again. It was never supposed to be a permanant situation. However, now that there are something like 250,000 Israeli settlers living in large fortified settlements in the occupied territories, its looking a lot more permanant. This is a serious sticking point in the peace process.

As Aladdin said, most of the troubles are caused by relatively tiny fringe groups on both sides.

The fighting is just stupid and both sides need to have their heads banged together...It seems so simple to solve but i guess its easy to see from the outside..

Most Palestinians just want their own state without being blown up.
    Most Israelis just want to live in peace without being blown up.
    Most people in the region, arabs and jews, just want to get on with their lives.
    However, extremist arab groups want to see Israel destroyed and the jews driven into the sea. Then there are the extremist jewish groups who think the land belongs to them because their religion says so, they want to see the occupied territories brought into Israel proper and the arabs expelled.

The extremists are the ones causing the trouble for both sides :(

Sure you can print it out, just ask if you want anything clarified.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee

The fighting in the middle east is between the arabs who think that Palestine should be all theirs, so to speak - a muslim territory.

Depends on which group of arabs you speak about.
    Palestinians can be both muslim and christian. The palestinian muslims are mostly Sunni muslims (the "moderate", and not that fundemental as the Shias), so they are not specifically seeking Muslim state, but mainly a state of their own.
    Though A group like Hamas have it written in their charter, that they not only want the land of Israel, but also want to convert it all into a Kalipha(sp?) state, which means that it will be the optimal kind of Muslim state.

It's quite confusing to explain, especially as I don't know what your background to the conflict is :)
    However, Israel (which is part of Palestine???) made up of Jews, believe that they have every right to be there. :confused:

Palestine was no more after 1948. The arabic population of the then Palestine, never got round to build their state. And today the former Palestine is Jordan and Israel.
    And yes, most Israelis do believe that they have every right to be in Israel (not talking about Gaza and the Westbank).

P.S. Just thought you should know that there is a term called "Arabic Israelis" who are Arabs (muslim/christians), that didn't flee in the war of '67, and later on got an Israeli pasport and every right which a jewish Israeli would have.
  • Options
    Thanks. Can someone clarify for me which 'group' lives primarily in which area (westbank & gaza).
  • Options
    Israel = about 6 million Israelis
    Gaza Strip = about 1.25million Palestinians and 7000 Israelis in settlements
    West Bank = about 2 million Palestinians and 200,000 Israelis in settlements.

is-map.gif