Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Australian pre-emptive strikes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is international law breaking down or is the West being smart about terrorism.

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) . Malaysia criticized the United States and Japan on Tuesday for supporting Australia's stance that it has the right to launch pre-emptive strikes against terrorists outside its borders.

Comments

• Options
    I think it is the 'west' or specifically John Howard being idiots, you just can't behave in that way, you will just cause massive unrest and resentment...........
  • Options
    There is a very important principle overlooked with that policy: that every man is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. One thing is shooting at two people as they are about to detonate a bomb on a busy street. Another is launch drone planes armed with hellfire missiles in a sovereign nation and fire at a group of people travelling in a car who might or might not belong to a terrorist organisation.
  • Options
    Every nation has the right to defend its citizens, and in a state of war, a court, judge, jury et al is of little use.

The western world is at war with Islamic fundamentalists. We have the right to kill our enemy anywhere we find him.

Our enemy uses terrorism as it key weapon. The way to defeat terrorism is two fold. 1, you make their aim or goal hopeless. Nothing demoralises anyone more than realising that what they are about to do is worthless and of no use. Second action is to terrorise the terrorists. Bin Laden may be dead or alive. If he is alive, he is hold out in some cave somewhere too shit scared to take a dump for fear that as he wipes his ass some supersonic missiles is gonna beat him to it.
  • Options
    Oh great...Im in Kuala Lumpur in feb....10 quid says australia are gonna launch an invasion just as i arrive...

Damn those Oompa Lumpas..DAMN THEM.
  • Options
    It's a tough call and this is a good discussion...I see both sides of it. Like for 9/11, we would have had to have hit London, the Netherlands and Munich, Germany to prevent the attack. Now, of course, we wouldn't think of hitting those Western countries, but we would go into Yemen etc. Is it a racial thing or is it because we feel Western countries are in control and others aren't.
  • Options
    I think that is a key point Pj, I was just about to raise that hypocracy.

Frankly if the British govt founf that the IRA were planning an attack from the US we would not launch an attack on US soil, that would be unthinkable. We eould contact their govt and work with them to deal with it.

Why does the same not apply to non-western, less developed nations?
  • Options
    Because they don’t either have the ability or political will to deal with the problem. Look at Pakistan.
  • Options
    Pakistan lucked out by backing us early on. Because NW Pakistan really harbors al qaeda.
  • Options
    So if the US govt told us they would not deal with any IRA acivity on their soil we would attack them on US territory without permission?

Bollocks........
  • Options
    Just to ask a simple question, but how is it "pre-emptive" when Aus citizens have already been attacked.

If I'm looking at a bigger picture here...
  • Options
    Man of Kent. For months countries in south east asia were telling Indonesia that terrorists were operating in their country and the government did nothing about it. I think Australia is putting the countries near them on notice that next time Australia with strike first.

I don't know if this kind of tough guy talk works or not.
  • Options
    got some more info on this. j1, the arm of al qaeda operating in southeast asia is splitting. The group in Mylaysia is demanding a more violent jihad against western targets. That's why Australia warned about preemptive strikes. All last year there were warnings about Indosnesia not doing enough to fight terrorism. I guess this time, Australia is telling the countries in South East Asia you take care of it or Australia will.