Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Netherlands major Al Qaeda recruiting center.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It came on the news in America last night that the Netherlands has become a major center for recruitment for al Qaeda....both inside the mosques and among anti-American leftest. Anyone in Europe heard more about this? This story just was broadcasted last night.

Comments

• Options
    Haven't heard of it. Still, let them lose in Amsterdam for a few days and I'm sure they'd soon lose interest in Al Queida and jihads. :D
  • Options
    To be honest it doesn't surprise me.
    We'll soon notice a major rise, of these terrorist cells within Europe.
    Many of the young people commiting to these organisations are well-aducated and seem integrated in their countries.
    But that's exactly the point. Filling them with the either/or and making the culture gaps too wide, for these people to bear.

Their dicipline probably comes from the enormous imposed hatred.
  • Options
    I post more if I see anything on it. It was really fast.
  • Options
    Sounds like more fearmongering from Washington hawks bent on using any contrivance to keep the public paranoid and and compliant.

There's been nothing on the Belgian news and we're right next door.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine

There's been nothing on the Belgian news and we're right next door.

I really do hope, that you are aware of the fact that the terror cells in Europe are having a terrible rise.
    Holland majoring with Al-Qaeda recruits, or not, they are in Europe.
    And I'd rather we took notice of them now, than after a big damage has been done.
  • Options
    Jacq, trust me when i tell you that national gendarmerie, anti terrorist institutions, and the civil police along with Interpol are actively rooting out terrorist cells throughout Europe.

There has been plenty of reprting about small groups being rounded up and arms seizures, but nothing that signals the type of concentrations or increases that you seem to believe in.

I also have an active role in a policy and planning group comprised of important figures from NATO, the EU, the major military platform contractors (Boeing, Lockheed Martin, BAe Systems, SNECMA, and others), diplomatic representatives and a range of private and public sector analysts and experts which deals with anti-terrorism planning amongst other continental and global defense and security issues.

If what you say were truly the case then there would be far more alarm within this circle than has been demonstrated in dicussions and forward projections so far.
  • Options
    They think there may have been a plan to attack a small us air force base in northern belgium. It has 100 men and 26 nuclear bombs.
  • Options
    Who is they and do you have any reference to this supposed report? There is nothing in the Belgian press or news concerning this and thus it sounds like nothing more than further Bush admin groundless claims and sensationalism.

Btw: there is only 1 US air base in Belgium, Florennes, and it is in the Southern part of the country not the Northern.
  • Options
    Originally posted by pnjsurferpoet
    They think there may have been a plan to attack a small us air force base in northern belgium. It has 100 men and 26 nuclear bombs.

Sorry to take this off-topic, but are there any official agreements in which the US can store nuclear weapons in European bases? I know they did it in Spain even though they weren't supposed to. The trick they did was to separate the warhead from the body of the bomb and remove one other component, so it couldn't be classified as a nuclear weapon.
  • Options
    I always tell the truth. This is a copy and paste from an article in the San Francisco Examiner:

"Prosecutors say that besides the Paris embassy, the group targeted the Kleine-Brogel base in northeast Belgium, where around 100 U.S. Air Force personnel are stationed. Environmental groups claim the munitions dump also stores 26 B61 free-fall nuclear bombs"

How I found this article. I went to Yahoo US. Keyed in Al Qaeda and Netherlands. Got a bunch of articles. One spoke of how the Netherlands surpresses news which might be taken as anti-Muslim because the Christians and the Muslim do not trust one another in the Netherlands.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip, it appears that Florrennes was only used in the 1980's when nuclear GLCM's (Ground Launched Cruise Missiles), were deployed here. Its not much discussed here since its a munitions storage area and not a jumping off point like the larger bases are. Interesting to know though.

As for attacks, there definitely would have been big media coverage if any attack had ever been planned or carried out recently.

In point of fact, since the early to mid 80's Belgium has not had any successful terrorist act committed on its soil so i think the journal you read is merely throwing out random targets as means of increasing the sense of threat back home. Such a sense is not present here. At any rate, such a storage dump would be amongst the most secure of possible targets if such plans existed.

Far more likely they would hit public areas in Brussels or any of the various international institutions resident in the city.
  • Options
    Given your more specific references i did find this and do recall hearing a snippet a few weeks ago...

http://www.iht.com/articles/78922.html

Frankly these goons have been inprisoned since a matter of weeks after 9/11 which makes it somewhat dated as a threat and only resurfaced because they are going on trial.

Since last year there has been very little credible threat in the Benelux (at least) that has not been almost immediately quashed by the authorities.
  • Options
    Yeah, France seems to be more worried about something happening over the holidays.
  • Options
    Perhaps, but France has an entire infrastructure to deal with terrorist threats more than most other European countries given all the bombings that they suffered back in the early to mid 90's (some whilst i lived in Paris in fact). So of any European country they are best nowadays to nip such lunacy in the bud.