Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is Islam a violent religion?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is in regard to a Nigerian government call for the death of that journalist.

Comments

• Options
    It wasn't the Nigerian govt, it was a regional fundamentalist cleric I believe...

Sharia law is violent by our enlightened standards but so are most systems of punishment, imprisonment etc.

Punishment systems that existed in Christian states were amazingly brutal until comparitively recently.......
  • Options
    There are similarities between Christianity and Islam. They both worship 'God'. However, Muslims don't believe in Christ.

The book of worship, the Bible was written by lots of different people. The Islamic equivelent (can't remember what its called) was only written by one person.

The only other differences I can think of, are lifestyle ones. Christians can drink alcohol. Muslims can't. Also, the Muslims adapt to what is called lunar calendar which is devided into 13 months. One of the months 'Ramadam' forbids anyone in the faith from eating in daylight hours.

Theres really no reason to use belief systems as an excuse to start a war. I am totally uneducated in middle Eastern wars, but I guess it is more fuelled by the politics rather than religions.
  • Options
    Koran or Qu'ran is the holy book of Islam.

I belive that Muslim theology does believe in Christ as one of the prophets of God.

I think there are couple of recent posts by Aisha that raise the issue...........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    I belive that Muslim theology does believe in Christ as one of the prophets of God.

Ah thats it. I remember that Islam erradicated the 'Trinity' aspect of Christ (+God + Holy Spirit), but I forgot the differences in the roles that Christ takes.
  • Options
    The big 3 religions are currently violent and dangerous to mankind. Not because what their rulebooks might say but because the way they're being interpreted by god-botherers.

At the end of the day the world would be a MUCH better place without religion, but that is another debate.

For those who insist in comparing religions ("Na-na na-na-na! Mine is better then yours!") here is a little test
  • Options
    The Qu'ran has a line in it about defending the religion. But that was regarding an attack by an army. Today, (spelling) Whabbism is taking that to any part of Western Culture that could be seen by virtuous Muslims. Saudi Arabia did much to sponsor this take on the religion to make themselves seem virtuous. Meantime, that have almost a billion dollars invested in the US. Bin Laden's family is heavily invested in.....US defense contractors. So, if we go to war with Iraq and require new weapons...the Bin Laden family would have invested wisely. Guess who advises them?

The Bush family, the UK's John Manly...among others. When you look at it this way...Muslims are fighting themselves.
  • Options
    'Saudi Arabia', 'Muslims' pretty wide generalisations don't you think pnj?
  • Options
    AND Saudi Arabia has been one of our best friends for 70 years. I think the Saudi family let's the militants have the feeling of being supported so the Saudi's can live the lifestyle they want...which seems to be a lot of time in the US from what I've read. They've given huge gifts to Harvard
  • Options
    I was reading up on the Quran and here's what I found. Let me know how you interpret this.

Surah 3:85

If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah., never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be in the ranks of those who have lost (All spiritual good).

Surah 4:101
    When ye travel through the earth, there is no blame on you if ye shorten your prayers, for fear the Unbelievers May attack you: For the Unbelievers are unto you open enemies.
    Surah 4:89.
    They desire that you should disbelieve as they have disbelieved, so that you might be (all) alike; therefore take not from among them friends until they fly (their homes) in Allah's way; but if they turn back, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them, and take not from among them a friend or a helper.

Surah 9:29

Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

Surah 9:5

When the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
  • Options
    is there any religion that is followed without bloodshed, violence, torture and other abuse ?
  • Options
    Buddhism i suppose. However if one is true to Christianity (not as it has been used by corrupt men to serve political goals) then there is no violence mandated anywhere by Christ. In fact he himself eschewed that path when his "zealot" followers wanted to institute his Kingdom on Earth by force.

Interesting point of the origin of Islam though is that the Koran wasnt even truly "written" by Muhammed as the religion teaches. If one follows the record of Muhammed's exile (prior to his establishment of the religion) you will find that he was taken in by the Essenes and studied under them but was ultimately rejected as a member of their community.

Having learned much of Christian and Jewish teachings that had been recorded by this sect (with ample doses of semitic mysticism) he simply comprised it into his own self-proclaimed revelation from God (Allah). Much of the Koran thus merely regurgitates and twists the teachings of Christ and the Hebrew prophets and is not unique or original to Islam at all.

In the end though, no teachings of any religion are ever consistently comprehended by all its adherents (thus the manifold "christian" denominations, Muslim sects, and other divisions one can find in any great religion).
  • Options
    Those quotes are well and good but I am pretty sure that someone could find other quotes that counteract them. This is the problem with dogmatically following one 'holy book' their will be contradictions.....

As far as that goes though it think that the killing and wotnot are not fundamental to Islam for example charity and humility are.......
  • Options
    Simply follow my link in one of my previous posts on this thread and have a look at the test. The website is of course satirical but the test is based in actual bible & koran passages. Look up the correct answers and explanations section and you will see a fair number of violent and evil christian commands.

Surprisingly none of the christian god-botherers have cared to comment about these less-than-divine passages yet. Should we wage war on christian countries and followers anyway?
  • Options
    Are there actually theological arguments for why it is permissable to follow some parts of the bible but not others?

If your argument for living the christian lifestyle is that you are following the 'word of god' then how can you justify believing some bits but conveniently forgetting the bits that don't fit in with modern society?

Anyone know or is it all just a hpocritical mess?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Anyone know or is it all just a hpocritical mess?

I'm going for the latter.
  • Options
    Thought you might :)

There is a lot of theological study by some very clever people though, they must have some reason..........
  • Options
    Aladdin, the problem with that test is that it offers no references for the claims made by the rather leading questions.

I suspect the claims made of the "Christian" God are based on passages out of the Old Testament. Much of these violent references are historical injunctions rooted in the situation facing the "faithful" at the time and not principles for living within a truly "Christian" context.

Remember, Christ enjoined his followers to "turn the other cheek" and to "forgive those who trespass against you", etc..

One thing that makes biblical comprehension so difficult is that many of the most vocal Christian activists tend to take everything "literally" whereas there are actually numerous literary "voices" or types of language employed depending on whether you are reading an historical section or "prophetic/visionary" or "allegorical" or metaphorical section.

Its far from cut and dried and thus the reason why theologians have argued over interpretations since the the earliest period of the institutionalisation and spread of the religion.
  • Options
    The violent form of the Muslim religion is going to end because America and its allies aren't going tolerate it.

There's no debate. The Muslim perverts who get off on killing themselves will be picked up or picked off....by of all people....other Muslims. I'm especially proud of our Muslim soldiers in special ops.

Watch what happens to Indonesia this year. Its economy is going to tank. And it's totally because of Muslim extremism.
  • Options
    Geneva Convention

http://www.thesite.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35650

Read the last 2 replies here by Harlequin and me.

Restrictions begin with an obligation to prevent an assault by asking the intruder (even in one's home) to lay their weapon down, in an attempt to resolve the problem in a non-violent way. In the middle of battle, the Muslim is obligated to do everything possible to stop the battle and to stop violence and bloodshed if the opposition stops fighting.

1400 years before the Geneva Convention, Islam required Muslims not to touch women and children and other innocents and to treat prisoners of war with respect and dignity.

Islam views war as evil, but an evil that should only be used to overcome a greater evil and to protect oneself.

The verses you quote Ringworm are without commentary and context.
  • Options
    Aisha that was a good post and hits at the core of why American Muslims have been fighting for us.

I think Al Qaeda is very dangerous...but they peaked in Afghanistan when America wasn't that involved in their world. Muslims worldwide have been key to fighting Al Qaeda.
  • Options
    Monserrat

The Qur'an for Muslims is different from how the Bible has been written.

Whereas the Bible was written by men inspired by the Holy Spirit (God) as Christians believe and their personalities were allowed to show in the writing, the Qur'an is said to be dictated by God via Archangel Gabriel to the Prophet - i.e it is the literal word of God. When you read it God is talking direct to YOU the reader, it's not in the form of a story. It reads like "I" "Me" "We" "Us"(royal plural). Muhammad is not the author of the book.

It is 80% of the NT in size.

Whereas the Bible is the word of God, words of the Prophets and history together the Muslim has these in 3 separate volumes.

Qur'an, The Hadith (The Prophet's traditions) and historians have written many books about his life.

Yes, before Islam alcohol was not banned, there was no Law. The Qur'an says there is more harm than benefit. One only has to look at the cost of alcohol abuse today individually, socially, nationally and compare with the social drink at the pub. The amount the Government spends on Drink n Drinking campaigns is absurd.
  • Options
    Now that is a rich claim Aisha. No law before Islam? Hmmm so the Roman Empire, the Baylonian, Assyrian, heck even the Ancient Japanese or other Asian dynasties had no law? hmmm guess the Code of Hamurabi (as an example) was just a myth then? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Clandestine

In the teachings of Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, Jesus, etc there was no law. Jews and Christians are allowed to drink alcohol.
  • Options
    The fact that alcohol is not banned outright in no way justifies your claim that there was no "law". lol.

To attempt to enlighten you, " The Law" (aka the ten commandments, the subsequent hygene and nutritional laws, etc..) were all contained in the wiritings of Moses.

Be care what claims you make.
  • Options
    No law

You misunderstood me. I meant "no law" concerning alcohol. Only at the time of the Prophet did the prohibition come.
  • Options
    I just read that India is on alert because last year radical Hindus burned down a 16th century mosque. I guess all religions have extremists.
  • Options
    Clashes between hindus and moslems in India have been going on for a very long time. Its not of the same calibre as global terrorism though. these are mobs of hotheads in local or regional feuds.
  • Options
    Islam isnt violent in itself, the cultures of the areas in which it is practiced is where the violence comes in..

The vast majority of western muslims practice their religion in perfect peace whereas muslims practicing in less developed areas of the world are more prone to violence..Probably simply due to ignorance.