Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Miscarriage

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys, probably sounds really thick here but here goes..

I was about a week late for my period & about two weeks before my period i had terrible pains in my stomach. Like very bad period pains, they made me all hot & everything, anyway, i finnaly came on but it was quite a bit more than usual but no more pains.
Sounds daft but could this have been a misscarriage? or just a bad/strange period?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    this sounds perhaps like one yeah, i had this about two months ago but i knew i was pregnant. it really made me depressed...
    any way if you want to chat any time im here!
  • Options
    I'm no Doctor, but to be honest I think you would know you were having a miscarriage, they are not nice things... does this sound like your experience or any of these ?

In any case if you are having very painful periods or you are worried you may have miscarried consult your GP or ring NHS Direct
    Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Telephone: 0845 46 47

Susie :)
  • Options
    Miscarriages happen all the time and most of the time women don't even know they are pregnant...there is a big difference between mis-carrying when you are a few days gone and when you are a few weeks or months gone. The process of expelling the embryo is far more dangerous and likely to be painful if the embryo has developed over some weeks...if it is just days or a week or so into the pregnancy you probably won't even know you are pregnant and it will be just like a heavy period.
  • Options
    Tweety, I have a feeling I know what is going through your mind and you need to drop it as soon as possible otherwise it'll screw you up.

I would view this as a bad period, rather than a lost pregnancy. Effectively that's what it was.

Chin up, your time will come and as a father I have to say, when those sleepless nights really kick in you'll wonder why you wanted a child at all... ;)
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I've decided to stop worrying & see how long my period lasts etc..

I don't want a child at the moment anyway, but i also don't want to lose one. I'm just gonna see how things go. Im on the pill aswell so it shouldn't happen anyway. I know it can.
  • Options
    Similar thing happened to me about a year and a half ago. I happened to go into the hospital for a scan on my kidneys. My period had been really really heavy, and I was in so much pain. I mentioned it to the nurse, and she took me to the early pregnancy unit - which showed that I had miscarried (they can detect some of the pregnancy horemones still).

I went home, told my then boyfriend, and he said nothing. I didn't tell anyone else, and I blocked it out of my mind. It's years on it's hit me, and I feel so gutted. :(
  • Options
    I guess you would be really gutted if you were trying to get pregnant but if you weren't and you were taking contraceptives that may have failed you'd be a bit relieved that your body has basically aborted a foetus that it doesn't want or can't survive??
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    I guess you would be really gutted if you were trying to get pregnant but if you weren't and you were taking contraceptives that may have failed you'd be a bit relieved that your body has basically aborted a foetus that it doesn't want or can't survive??

thats not always true, in the past I actually had a coil fitted, but once when my period was late, I got it into my head that the coil hadnt worked and i might be pregnant. I wasnt pregnant, but although in my head i felt relieved, in my heart i felt kind of gutted.
  • Options
    When your on the pill, if your period is heavier or lighter then doesn't that indicate pregnancy? I always wonder how you know if your pregnant when your on the pill, do your periods stop or what? After I took the morning after pill I had the worst time ever and that worried me cos I was in agony and it was VERY heavy!
    But I thought heavier, or lighter periods when your on the pill indicated pregnancy? Cos I thought that when you were on the pill you had a period anyway?
  • Options
    This post is so relevant to me at the mo! See i was due a break on the pill last wk and my period was a bit later than usual, anyway when it did come it was heavy, really painful and i know its not nice but really dark blood clots. I thought nothing of it (apart from the pain), i couldnt eat for about 4 days and i was gettin lower back pain which i dont usually get. A week on, i decided to not take the pill because of how my period had been and my boyf reckons i could be pregnant, or could it have been a miscarriage?im still getting sharp pains in my stomach and i have been feeling really run down and very tired. Am i just being paranoid or is it worth finding out?
  • Options
    Originally posted by **Cinderella**
    Am i just being paranoid or is it worth finding out?

It's important to rule out pregnancy.
  • Options
    Just for the record, it is possible to have a miscarriage in the very early stages of pregnancy (such as the first 6 weeks or so) where it just feels like a heavy period.
  • Options
    Im not likely to find out if it was a miscarriage or not now though am i? this was over a week ago, so if i did a test and i was pregnant b4 that then its not going to come up as positive is it?