Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Political correctness and homosexual

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I heard on the radio this morning that the government are planning to stop using the word "homosexual" as people find this word offensive and instead say "people who's sexual orientation is towards members of the same sex". Just wondered what anyone thinks about this.

Comments

• Options
    Extremely stupid of course. I will soon demand not be called heterosexual, but one whose sexual orientation is towards members of the opposite sex.

A rather long description as well. It will make conversation a rather elaborate affair: "I went to club for those whose sexual orientation are towards members of the same sex. I was with two friends, one of them a man whose sexual orientation is towards members of the same sex, and one a woman whose sexual orientation is towards members of both sexes. A guy chatted me up and I had to explain to him that I'm not one whose sexual orientation is towards members of the same sex. At which point he shouted 'bloody heterosexual!' I was very offended."

Gays/homosexuals, straights/heterosexuals, bisexuals/cat flaps (swing both ways). There is absolutely nothing wrong or improper with these terms (apart perhaps from the cat flap expression :D ), and anyone who is not comfortable with them should just piss off.
  • Options
    Does that mean I won't be able to say to people
    "you're as straight as a £7 note?".

Bugger, damn PC brigade. Where's Rubberskin, how do you feel about being called:
    Gay, puff, homosexual? Where do gay people actually stand on what they are called? Or is it something you don't really think about. And would you prefer to be known as the man with a sexual orientation to the same sex or MWSOTTSS?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    MWSOTTSS?

shortened to "wotsits"? Yeah, that's an improvement.

Typical Govt interference where it isn't really needed...
  • Options
    is this serious? haha so funny. how the hell can you be offended by some1 calling you homosexual if you are actually homosexual. if some1 is gay i call them gay. if some1 is straight i call them straight. if some1 is bi i call them bi. simple enuf. why make it so long winded, and awkward. it makes it harder to accept. i can imagine in a club. "A:so ur gay then? B:yea" or - " A:so ur preferences are towards those whose sex is not different, as in those whose sex is the same as yours, your sexual preference i mean.. B:what?"

homosexual is the actual scientific name so whats the problem. i have heard gay used as a n offensive term, but generally ot people who arent actually gay just to wind them up. that got on my nerves at high school.
  • Options
    Bloody PC brigade like doing this,a nd come up with terms that are worse than the ones they claim are racist. Sure, getting riud of terms like n*gger is A Good Thing, but saying a homosexual isnt homosexual, but ahugelongsentencedescribinghowtheylikeboysandorgirlsandnotgirlsandorboys is patently stupid.

Everyone will still use the original terms, except official publications. But official publications are the most racist of all.
  • Options
    I'm not homophobic at all but I can remember at school everyone, me included, used to use the word "gay" as an insult. This makes me feel pretty ashamed now but I can assure you that I was not exactly thinking it through... it's not that I have EVER thought that to actually be gay is a bad thing. Just that to call someone who was straight "gay" was a common insult. Surely it was the same in other peoples schools too?
  • Options
    PC has gone mad!
    oh no i cant use those letters anymore, all the rest will get jealous and offended.
    lets call it FV now.

my post is about as stupid as not calling gay people gay or a rat a rat.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    foolish.

:rolleyes:

does the 'homo' part of the word mean same, or similar?

like homogenous (sp) or homosapien etc. etc.

Oh well
  • Options
    Fag is shorter...
  • Options
    Originally posted by bad seed
    does the 'homo' part of the word mean same, or similar?

like homogenous (sp) or homosapien etc. etc.

Oh well

In Greek, "homo" means "the same," e.g. homogeneous, homomorphism, homonym, homosexual.

In Latin, "homo" means "man/male," e.g. Homo sapiens, Homo errectus, homonid.
  • Options
    not another load of fucking bollox about what we can and cannot say to each other.
    do you realise that to be stupid enough to make these rules you have to be "educated" ? who the fuck spends thier time and our money dreaming up this crap ? who the fuck are the people who decide that yes this is a good idea ? fucking lunacy.
    i'm older than you lot and can remember when a puff was a puff. a queer was a bloody queer. we were told we couldn't refer to our friends as such any longer and had to change it to gay.
    another few years down the line and the next lot will be saying something completely different. just ignore it all for fucks sake.
    please just ignore it all. NO... don't ignore it, tell em to fuck off and get a propper job.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MacKenZie

In Greek, "homo" means "the same," e.g. homogeneous, homomorphism, homonym, homosexual.

In Latin, "homo" means "man/male," e.g. Homo sapiens, Homo errectus, homonid.

cheers :)
  • Options
    This is plainly bollocks. People are always finding these apocryphal tales to ridicule the very serious issue of modifying our language slightly to make the world a less inherently predjudiced place. There's a very clear difference between this and insisting that racist or sexist or homophobic phrases become unacceptable.
    have you noticed how noone who's actually what gets laughingly referred to as 'pc' ever uses phrases like 'vertically challenged' or whatever? they're a myth designed by people who don't like the way the world is changing to make it look stupid when really it's perfectly reasonable. Of course such overzealous behaviour as this would be absurd - but it very, very, very rarely ever really happens. Most such stories begin 'I heard about this bloke' or 'someone told me' or 'apparently in america' - hardly ever are they from first hand experience.
    Political Correctness can, of course, go too far. But if the alternative is the kind of society in which casual racism is never questioned, in which real racists or sexists or homophobes can get away with making other people's lives hell through genuine prejudice because it's nigh-on impossible to distinguish them from everyone else, I know which one I choose. And as silly as it can get, it's a kind of necessary over-compensation to set against the kind of society we had before and still haven't entirely escaped from now. The past matters: there's no getting away from it. The wounds of a racist and sexist history don't heal as quickly as we'd like them to, and if we're just a little more careful in the language we use now we'll live in a truly equal society, where people really don't care about the colour of someone's skin or their gender or their sexuality, much sooner. Here's something Clare Short said:

"Political correctness is a concept invented by hard-right forces to defend their right to be racist, to treat women in a degrading way and to be truly vile about gay people. They invent this idea of people who are politically correct, with a rigid, monstrous attitude to life so they can attack them. But we have all had to learn to modify our language. That's all part of being a decent human being."

That sums it up pretty well, it you ask me.

(this isn't aimed at you specificallyy, randomgirl, and I'm sorry if it sounds like it is. This is just one of my bugbears.)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Prufrock
    Here's something Clare Short said:

"Political correctness is a concept invented by hard-right forces to defend their right to be racist, to treat women in a degrading way and to be truly vile about gay people. They invent this idea of people who are politically correct, with a rigid, monstrous attitude to life so they can attack them. But we have all had to learn to modify our language. That's all part of being a decent human being."

Thank God someone posted it. :D

That's my favourite quote on political correctness, and one I use far too much (about three times on theSite so far), so I didn't want to post it again.
  • Options
    heh. did I get that from you? I must have, because I posted it somewhere completely different making the same argument and I don't remember hearing her say it myself.
    Sorry to not credit you!
  • Options

Sorry to not credit you!

You don't need to credit me - you credited Clare Short, who actually said it. :p:)
  • Options
    This is plainly bollocks. People are always finding these apocryphal tales to ridicule the very serious issue of modifying our language slightly to make the world a less inherently predjudiced place. There's a very clear difference between this and insisting that racist or sexist or homophobic phrases become unacceptable.
    have you noticed how noone who's actually what gets laughingly referred to as 'pc' ever uses phrases like 'vertically challenged' or whatever? they're a myth designed by people who don't like the way the world is changing to make it look stupid when really it's perfectly reasonable. Of course such overzealous behaviour as this would be absurd - but it very, very, very rarely ever really happens. Most such stories begin 'I heard about this bloke' or 'someone told me' or 'apparently in america' - hardly ever are they from first hand experience.
    Political Correctness can, of course, go too far. But if the alternative is the kind of society in which casual racism is never questioned, in which real racists or sexists or homophobes can get away with making other people's lives hell through genuine prejudice because it's nigh-on impossible to distinguish them from everyone else, I know which one I choose. And as silly as it can get, it's a kind of necessary over-compensation to set against the kind of society we had before and still haven't entirely escaped from now. The past matters: there's no getting away from it. The wounds of a racist and sexist history don't heal as quickly as we'd like them to, and if we're just a little more careful in the language we use now we'll live in a truly equal society, where people really don't care about the colour of someone's skin or their gender or their sexuality, much sooner. Here's something Clare Short said:

That sums it up pretty well, it you ask me.

(this isn't aimed at you specificallyy, randomgirl, and I'm sorry if it sounds like it is. This is just one of my bugbears.)

I heard this "story" on 2TenFM radio in Reading. I didn't just make it up! The reason I posted it was because the radio debate on it was quite interesting but only represented the views of 3 people all of whom were straight so I wanted to hear a wider range of people's opinions. On the radio it was asked if that the word "homosexual" was a bad, un-PC word, did it imply that homosexuality is a bad thing. I just wondered if any gay people out there ACTUALLY were offend by the term as hearing it deemed offensive by a gay person is far more likely to make me stop using the word than it being deemed offensive by the government.
  • Options
    As a gay guy, I am not usually offended by the term "homosexual" at all - just as a straight person would not be offended by the term "heterosexual". It is, after all, the official English word for my orientation.

However, I would prefer not to be called a "homosexual" in day-to-day living because it does sound a little like some sort of medical affliction. If used by people friendly and tolerant towards me, I would prefer them to use the word "gay" whenever possible unless used adjectivally, as in a "homosexual relationship". "Gay" sounds less threatening and informal.

I also often don't like the tone of some newscasters etc that say "hom-a-sex-sual" - it makes them sound as though they are disapproving and distasteful but maybe that's just me being a bit paranoid.

We often call each other poofs, fags, queens etc and we don't mind if straights call us that too - as long as they are laughing WITH us and NOT at us. Then it become offensive. Just as Black people often call each other "nigga" - or fat people make fat jokes. As soon as someone else says it BUT with ridicule, then it ceases to be acceptable.
  • Options
    I get really annoyed when people use gay or poof as an insult as quite a few of my friends are gay or bi, and my brother used to do it all the time, but I've managed to stop him.
  • Options
    I think the thing is when people say 'homo' in an unthinking way - but any phrase co uld be use like that. am dunkt. wil shut up. night.
  • Options
    Political Correctness is all well and good, but when what is right and what is the wrong thing to say changes almost daily it is impossible to keep up. In most cases offense is caused, not because of the specific word used, but the intent behind it. Anything can be made an insult, unfortunately.
  • Options
    I had to laugh when Richard Littlejohn pointed out that "OTPOTSS" or "Orientation towards people of the same sex” is an anagram of "tosspot" http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,43-2002540501,00.html
  • Options
    See Prufrock, it says it in The Sun, it MUST be true!! The government really have been discussing this point if you read the article kindly posted as a link by Captain Slog. I told you I didn't make it up!
  • Options
    Re: Political correctness and homosexual
    Originally posted by randomgirl
    I heard on the radio this morning that the government are planning to stop using the word "homosexual" as people find this word offensive and instead say "people who's sexual orientation is towards members of the same sex". Just wondered what anyone thinks about this.

Well being a homosexual, i think this is fucking pathetic. It's just a definitive word, that has no other meaning. Like using Latin for flower names, as they have no other meaning. I have a big problem with PC anyway. Equal opportunities, the use of PC to remove hate, bigotry etc, yeah, all well and good. But all this shit about blackboards, manholes, blackmail et al, absolute bollocks. Makes you wonder what some people's motivation in life is when there's so much shit and crap in the world, they're complaining about a fucking word!:mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Where's Rubberskin, how do you feel about being called:
    Gay, puff, homosexual? Where do gay people actually stand on what they are called? Or is it something you don't really think about. And would you prefer to be known as the man with a sexual orientation to the same sex or MWSOTTSS?

Sorry i'm late poppet. Come into polititics less frequently than i come into women:D Too full of people showing off their education.:)
  • Options
    Damn their black hearts..............