Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shroom Tolerance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,
Me and two friends tooks 30 shroom each last night expecting to all acheive a light trip to enjoy. We all had roughly the same amount of food before hand, a full meal. We all took them at the same time, in the same way; jam sandwich! :eek2:

Me and my other friend both tripped pretty hard, with some mild open eye visuals like colour changes and slight distortions. However my other friend didn't have the slightest trip. The only factor we could think of to explain this was that he had taken 60 two nights ago.

Did he build his tolerance up, more importantly can you even build a tolerance to liberty caps?

Cheers for the help.

greenfields.

Comments

• Options
    Sixty shouldn't be enough to gain tolence to another dose two days later, but it is possible. I once took about 100 one day and then about 60 the next day but hardily felt that screwed on the second day. You do build a quick tolerance to shroomz, I only recommend doing the doses about a week apart to really be able to appreciate them. Besides, those little mushies are sacred things that shouldn't be over abused as I truely believe that they hold the key to the meaning of life, which can only be unlocked through wise use....Hope that doesn't sound too mystical and hippy-ish, but I definitely believe there's something spiritual about them....
  • Options
    Its probally a short acting tolerance, a bit like if you do cid too often.

I have had a similar experaince though, my wife and I bought three shrooms caps, each containing about 2.5g of condensed shrooms (it can be done), well anyway I cut the caps down from three to five, so we could space the dose.
    Well we each did one, and my wife started to feel a bit of effect, we both did another one and this time she was tripping quite hard, I did the last one and I got nothing at all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by White Rabbit
    Besides, those little mushies are sacred things that shouldn't be over abused as I truely believe that they hold the key to the meaning of life, which can only be unlocked through wise use....Hope that doesn't sound too mystical and hippy-ish, but I definitely believe there's something spiritual about them....

Now theres a good man.

Shrooms (psilocybin primarily) as every other hallucinogen, are extremely dependant on the brain chemistry of the host. A lot of a trip depends on how your brain is basically... I guess its similar to some people and their heroine usage, some people can handle tonnes and be fine but people have had overdoses and reactions to much smaller than average doses...

Your friend may have just had something oon his mind, or could have been reacting to something he had seen, eaten, heard, felt the previous day, and this may have caused the psilocybin to have little or no affect on him. Ive had similar experiences with other drugs, acid and mescaline, where you have two identical trips, you take the first one and you get grilled and then you take the next one 2 weeks later and nothing happens, equally ive take 1/4 of a trip before and been more wasted than a whole trip of the same variety...

Very much touch and go with psychotropics... Tolerance is definitely built up, but its more a mental tolerance than a chemical one, You may find that the same thing happens to you just youve seen it befor4e and felt it too so the familiarity may feel like nothings happening... Hallucinogens are one of the most unexplained phenomenon in the pharmacalogical field, there has been much research with very little conclusion... Id suggest reading the book "LSD - My problem child" by albert hoffmann (Many e-books exist on the web) and the teachings of Don Juan as outlined by Carlos Castenada, which explore the use of natural hallucinogens to attain spiritual knowledge as dictated by a Yacqui sorceror in south america.

White rabbit is correct, all hallucinogens are to be respected, some as i believe that that they can be used to widen ones perceptve abilities, but can be equally dangerous too.... Theres nothing hippy about that, the ancient concept of the Ying and the Yang, good things must be countered by the existence of an equal amount of bad else there is no balance.
  • Options
    D-Baser; Have you read any of Shulgins work? A true chemist.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    D-Baser; Have you read any of Shulgins work? A true chemist.

Havnt. What does he explore...?
  • Options
    'Shroomology'

Hi again,
    After doing them on Monday night I came to the same conclusion as White Rabbit; they're to be respected. After the initial, quite scary build up of the trip - I found myself back in my house in a very strange mood. I was sitting calmly thinking about huge amounts of theories and my life in general. I discussed with my friend who was tripping about the importance of actually having friends and how whenever you have a good memory of your past it almost invariably involves a friend.

I also started to talk about how when your on shrooms your not even within the realms of the real world. My perception on everything was totally changed, and I thought that the transition to and from this world was the most crazy part. When you start feeling the drug, you notice things from the "shroom world" popping into yours, like different colours and shapes. After a while your whole mind and body is in this world. But my favourite part is staying in this world and also departing from it. I couldn't help but think the word "trip" describes this whole process amazingly well!

I've now learnt that I will always do shrooms within the company of my best friends and in the comfort of a nice house. The most unbeliviable part is that the mushrooms come from the earth, so it's like 'interacting' with nature!

greenfields.
  • Options
    Shulgin is preaty much the worlds formost drug chemist ever, he invented something like 100+ new trippy drugs and then tried them with his wife.
    His two book PIHKAL and TIHKAL are absolute bibles, they list all kinds of things and the chemistry behind them, everything from shrooms to 2CB to MDMA to DOB to 5-meo-dipt and all kinds of others.
    I highly recomend them to everyone.
  • Options
    I read somewhere that LSD and Mushrooms will built up a tolerance for 1-3 days.
    In that period it is quite difficult to feel the desired effects.
    After that however the tolerence will drop to normal.
    Well .. this applies to LSD at least .. I think the same rules apply to Mushrooms.
  • Options
    yes psilocybin tollerance is obscene. take them on a friday night, then again on saturday, you would need nearly twice as much on the saturday to get the same effect. it goes back down again very fast, your tollerance should be totally back down to bassline within a couple of weeks, but you would be able to trip before that, just need to eat a little bit more....

i tend to leave it at least 2-3 weeks between trips (normally much more, but thats my minimum) cause i just find its not nearly as good if you do it too often. even if you trip hard, its just not the same. its boring. uncomfortable. it loses its magic. the trip seams somehow less "divine". i dunno, it might just be me but thats what i've found.
  • Options
    Yes that is right shroom tolerance develops rapidily just like LSD tolerance. Another thing is that the strength of shrooms is fairly unpredictable as well. It can also take several hours before any effect occours after taking them which is why it is not advised to take more if the first few seem to have had no effect. Shrooms are also much stronger when made into tea or dried out which is why it is ilegal to prepare in any way.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Harlequin
    Shrooms are also much stronger when made into tea or dried out which is why it is ilegal to prepare in any way.

not true, you always lose some of the potency when drying them even if your very very careful, its inevitable.

as for making into tea, you kill lots of psilocybin and all the psilocin by heating.

after drying they are obviouly stronger in terms of weight, but 10 shrooms will contain more psilocybin and more psilocin before they are dried than after. if you see what i mean.
  • Options
    I always used to experience a much stronger and faster effect by drinking then in tea than with eating them. With eating them raw it used to hours before the effect came on and that was with eating about thirty shrooms.
  • Options
  • Options
    The way you prepare them will just change the way its absorbed rather than the amount which is absorbed.

If its in a tea I'd suspect that it would be absorbed quicker because it doesnt need to be broken down out of the mushies themselves its in a solution.