Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sleepless

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi!
Need your advice/ideas!!

For nearly three weeks now I havent been slepping too good. I have to loe in bed for about three hours before i can actually sleep even if I'm totally exhausted!
At first it didnt seem strange as I'm not a very good sleeper any way and ofetn have the odd night where I cant sleep at all. But now its getting stupid. Its so hard to get up in a morning and I look constantly tired!

Does anyone have any ideas about how i can get to sleep??
I could try night nurse or whatever it is i suppose but ive got allegies to a lot of drugs so i dont know if thats a good idea!!!
Help!!!

Cheers!!!

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, I used to get this quite a lot.

Most important thing is to get into proper sleep patterns- so you arent going to bed at 3am 4 nights a week and 11pm the other 3. That makes it very hard to get to sleep.

Other ideas once thats sorted: get lots of excersize during the day/live an active life (easier said than done, I know) but obviously if you are physically tired its much easier. Also, relax before bed, don't do stuff like watch TV cos that raises stress levels- one good thing to do is take a proper bath and just listen to some music. Make sure there aren't drafts in your room, and its the right temperature, and your sheets are clean but comfortable. Drugs I'd turn to as a last resort, cos they are dodgy and you can get a dependence.

Other than that theres always counting sheep
    :)
  • Options
    Hiya,

Let's just say that drugs are the last resort. There are several things that you can do to get a bit more sleep:

http://www.thesite.org/info/health/sleep/insomnia.html
  • Options
    I know what ur goin thru bcoz i havent slept right for the past 4 month and its horrible, im constantly exhausted and fall alseep at school...have u got things on ur mind? r u stressed? this cud be why i found that talking to people helps even if there isnt a problem just talking makes a big difference...
    I ve tryed herbal sleeping pills and night nurse they dont work, the only way is to go to the doctors even tho i havent i know i shud!
    hope u start to sleep well
  • Options
    I get this and what i find is normally it is because my mind is all over the place.
    What i do is concentrate on the sensation coming in through my feet. Hold every inch in your mind at the same time, then try and bring in the rest of your body, being concious of every part of it at the same time. This is harder than it looks, and takes up all your mind to do. Then when you are in the thick of it, switch to an image of a bird or some simple gentle image. Before you know it you are lost in it and then you are dreaming and then asleep.
    boomboom.
  • Options
    Go on thesite less:D I always get less sleep when i'm on a spree here!
  • Options
    I listed out all the options of the drug treatments that you could use at some point in the past, have a look and you should be able to find it, if not I'll type it out again.
  • Options
    Well I did a ten second search for you, here it is, you may well want to talk to your docter, although it may not be that wise to discuss what drugs you want with him, just chat and he will be able to decide whats best.

I've posted this before but, well here it is again;

The treatment that you need really depends on the type of insomnia that you have, if its based on the mental stress that you have then obviously sedatives arent the answer.

However if like me you have inheratied a sleeping problem and never sleep for more than about 3 hours in a stretch then it can get preaty bad. As yet I havent managed to get any long term meds from my docter but I have tried a few.

Valium ; Not strictly an insomnia drug, its a muscle relaxant. However it will make you sleep soundly, does have a slight hangover though, lasts about 9hrs.

Temazepan ; Similar to valium but just a crappier version, quite stony, zonked me out, I didnt like it, lasts about 9hrs

Matrazapean (spelt wrong) ; Its kind of a mixture of prozac and a sedative, can be taken long term, takes about an hour to work, then lasts another 9 after that, does have a hangover, I felt quite groggy on this, I dont really like it.

Stilnoct ; This is a new one, I quite liked it, it felt more focused than the others, just helped me sleep and didnt fog my mind, no hangover what so ever lasts about 8hrs. This ones the best for insomnia, not sure if it can be taken long term though.

Valian ; its a herbal cure, personaly I'm not convinced, I have tried it in pill form a few times, it did seem to help me sleep when I had got quite drunk, after which I normaly dont sleep well at all.

GHB ; helps me sleep quite well, quite expencive to use every night though, plus does wear off after about 5hrs. No hang over.

GBL ; This is a varient of the above, lasts longer but does feel more harsh on the body, it has a VERY steep doseage curve and I nearly died while taking it, lasts about 6-7hrs, little to no hang over.

Well hope this helps
  • Options
    Just one thing to consider if you're not too keen on using drugs, have you tried complementary therapies? I used to have problems sleeping but I found homoeopathy very helpful for it and now sleep well just about every night. So seeing a homoeopath or some other complementary therapist might be worthwhile. Hope you manage to find something that helps you. xxx.