Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

17 quid!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
is it me or does this seem pretty damn expensive for an eye test?! I had to pay it the other day!

Comments

• Options
    Ohh shit, i have never had to pay before but now i'm 16 i do :(
    It's a rip off, at least i still get free medication.
  • Options
    Its bloddy TOO expensive!!

And the bloddy dentist, I hate even going near the place!
    :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by MadinthenuT

And the bloddy dentist, I hate even going near the place!
    :mad:

I haven't been to the dentist since I was 8, and I'm now nearly 18. It's not that I don't like the place, just that no-ones ever booked me any appointments! :( I guess I should go join a dentist myself but I'm far too lazy! Do you have to pay if you're over 16 or is it 18 when you have to pay? :confused:
  • Options
    id prefer2pay 17 quid than go blind!

having said that i havent been to the dentist or opticians for years!

il go when its too late prob! :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by jay_t
    id prefer2pay 17 quid than go blind!

having said that i havent been to the dentist or opticians for years!

il go when its too late prob! :eek2:

Same here!
  • Options
    Where I live it's actually compulsory to go to the dentist until you're 18, I think.
  • Options
    I haven't been to the doctor since i was about 10! I'm always in the bloody orthodontist tho, eurgh, braces :( Nearly finished with them, but i still have to have a retainer so i can speak like an idiot for a while! Better that than undo all the previous work though!
  • Options
    If you're still a student or have a low income you can get help with eyetests and visits to the dentists by filling in an HC2 form. You can probably pick one up at your dentists or opticians or local social security office type place. It's a bit complicated to fill in, but it's always worth a go
  • Options
    wow! i get em for free! is that cos im under 18??
  • Options
    If you can proove your in full time education/study you should not have to pay, I just show my NUS card, if they kick up I just refuse to pay

I have heard that some local health authorities require gits like use who are over 18 and in full time education to claim back medical costs such as Prescriptions, and Dentists bills
  • Options
    My right eye is blind and my left eye has a lense factor of minus 30. Without the contact, I only see the tip of my nose. Beyond that I'm blind. With the contact, I can see about two metres. Hence I get free yearly check-ups and contacts for life.

The same goes with my hearing aids.
  • Options
    Sounds fair to me...you'll ge the money back when you 're on the dole HE HE :-)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Monserrat
    My right eye is blind and my left eye has a lense factor of minus 30. Without the contact, I only see the tip of my nose. Beyond that I'm blind. With the contact, I can see about two metres. Hence I get free yearly check-ups and contacts for life.

The same goes with my hearing aids.

do you have normal sight in your left eye with the contact? how is it the same with your hearing aids? are you deaf in one ear and partial hearing in the other? were you born like it or did something happen to you? Is it likely to stay the same or get better or worse? Sorry to be nosy im just interested. just tell me to mind me own business if you like :) I wonder if your synaesthesia is to do with your other senses trying to make up for what your sight and hearing lack???
    my brother is profoundly deaf due to meningitis he had when he was 2, and I always think how hard it must be for people who are deafblind or even partially so. You have my respect.