Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Im shy...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I find myself shy when it comes to doing stuff with girls. I can talk to them fine but its just simple things like putting my arm around them, kissing, holding hands etc.

Like say im at the cinema with someone, I dont wanna just get close and put my arm around them or hold hands out of the blue incase they dont like me and then they'll think im weird!!

Comments

• Options
    you should just relax, because if they are prepared to go the cinema with you i think it's safe to say they like you! just take it slowly and you should be ok
  • Options
    unless you put your arm around someone else i doubt anyone will think your weird hunny
  • Options
    Hey, I'm shy too! I have tried to overcome it though.

The things them 2 have said are both correct I think.

And just think...Unless you do something like put your arm round someone, you'll never know what comes of it.

Chris
  • Options
    Re: Im shy...
    Originally posted by sachmo
    Hi

I find myself shy when it comes to doing stuff with girls. I can talk to them fine but its just simple things like putting my arm around them, kissing, holding hands etc.

Like say im at the cinema with someone, I dont wanna just get close and put my arm around them or hold hands out of the blue incase they dont like me and then they'll think im weird!!

You have no idea how many people i've been with who are like that with me. Im a very relaxed girl but im always jumping around an stuff, i can never keep still and a lot of lads see that as me trying to avoid being close with them. I never understand, but cos i then think they dont like me so i dont do anything either!

Why dont you just do it anyway? Maybe there thinking the same as you or something? Whats the worse that can happen... :eek2:
  • Options
    I would just take it slow, and if you have managed to get to the "going to the cinema" together stage, then I think they like you enough. I think as you get more experience you will find it easier.

I would just go for it ~ life after all is too short, and you might regrett it later! Good Luck!
  • Options
    The worst that could happen is that she may be aterrorist - as soon as you touch her she may think you are trying to arrest/disable them and cold kill you. :p Only joking.

Don't worry about her because the girl i like at the moment im getting good vibes with her (im shy btw) and even tho i havent asked her out due to an unfortuate reality (i was going to invite her to watch miss julie with me at the theatre but she said she had heard it was crap) however life goes on and she ended up holding my wrist (could be closer but im happy:) ) when i spilt hydrochloric acid over my hand. Lol it's still tingling - weird. Anyway, girls like holding hands, kissing and being held just as much as guys do (well, more in some cases) so don't worry about her thinking of you as weird. Depending on your relationship, you should act on that status. If you like her and you go out a lot then traditionally you kiss them and then that starts off the relationship. Were not in hollywood tho, so holding her hand or touching her a lot (not in a sexual way, just touching her arm, feeling her hair etc.) will convey the message in a more subtle way and she has the oppurtunity to say no or will soon pick up. Lots of girls react badly when you just kiss them incase that wasnt what they were expecting. if you are actually going out with her then dont feel afraid. Im one to talk - im more shy than most, but from past experience and looking over some times, i can see how stupid i was. Lol, my ex even asked me if i had ever kissed anyone before, and i didnt pick up that she wanted me to kiss her. Girls are generally a bit more frightened/wary of initiating these things as today's culture sees some women who actively pursue a relationship sluts and all the stuff that goes with that. They might want to kiss just as much as you do, but its like... its hard to explain. Like when you think of what to say to someone who pushes in line but you never say anything.

Just be bold, take that move, and youll soon realize that things will change. When you first be bold it isnt as hard all the times afterwards, and ive found that it actually makes people more attracted to you if you have some self confidence. As long as you respect her and her boundaries, youll get along fine. (I mean as long as she wont be offended by you kissing her/hugging/holding hands)

hope this helps, may not, but thats me:)
  • Options
    darn, well, i asked her out and she said yes but now im in exactly the same boat as you. Ive tried to listen to my own advice, but im scared becauase she broke up with her lkast bf cos he was obsessed with kissing and none of the romantic stuff. Now im annoyed and scared cos i dont know whether to just kiss her, tell her, or hope she kisses me.
  • Options
    im shy in exactly the same way

i cant put my arm round girls, dunno why, just freeze when im about to :(
    i dont go to them unless im drunk at a party or whatever... then i remember in morning, and wonder why i cant be the same on monday:confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Re: im shy in exactly the same way

Im shy too...and im a girl! I suppose when i guy puts his arm round me, hugs me, holds my hand i just go with the flow. But then its probably easier for me as i tend to let them make all the first moves, them being the guy and all so i can hide my shyness a little more i suppose! But i still wish i was more confident