Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Adoption/ Newsnight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Did anyone else see Newsnight last night? It was on the issue of letting unmarried and/ or gay people adopt children... well really a lot of it was on the current image of the Conservative party but hey. It made me really angry when Theresa May and Anne Widicome (sorry if that's spelt wrong) were banging on about how unmarried couples shouldn't be able to adopt as they are 6.5 times more likely to split up.... what kind of reason is that? Doesn't it imply that children can't be bought up by a single parent as well as they could be by a couple? It was as if they were saying that children can't cope with having parents who are not together. Now surely there are plenty of other people out there who's married OR unmarried parents have split up who aren't totally "screwed up" because of it. It really offended me what they were saying!

Well got that one of my chest...

Comments

• Options
    Yeah the Tory approach really sucked, and those who abstained or voted against should be saluted.

Nice to see that the Lords have backed down tonight too...
  • Options
    IDS has got himself in a right mess over this. Why on earth imposing a three-line whip on such issue???

Back to the issue of stability and what's best for children, the issue is not as black and white as it seems. Just because a couple stays together for longer it doesn't mean their children will be better off. On the contrary: a child would be much happier in a loving single parent family than with a married couple who don't love each other.

I don't know if married couples have a better chance of a stable and happy relationship than unmarried ones- I doubt it. The difference is that many unmarried couples can move on more easily once the relationship has died. Much better for them and for their children than staying together under one bitter, unhappy roof.

Call me a cynic but when I listen to right wing religious fundamentalists like Widdecombe I can't help but think they just despise anyone who doesn't fall into their 'family values' model of a married couple- and don't even mention gays.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    and don't even mention gays.

Awww. I'm still here.:wave:

The thing that i thought about most was kids home or single loving parent. Kids home or single loving parent. Hmmm think i know which one i'd plump for. Old wobblywiddy better cocentrate more on fat club (can you really call that much skin and fat a neck?) than so called family values if recent tory revelations are anything to go by. Silly bunch of poppets :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Call me a cynic but when I listen to right wing religious fundamentalists like Widdecombe I can't help but think they just despise anyone who doesn't fall into their 'family values' model of a married couple

That doesn't make you cynical at all. It's the plain fucking truth. If you're not the 2.4 children, middle income, silver anniversary waiting, never been unemployed, pension funding, can afford two holidays a year, never done drugs type couple they like. You're shit. Even though you pay the same tax, have the same ammount of kids etc etc etc. I really shudder sometimes at what must be ticking away in those teeny weeny ickle brains at times
  • Options
    Sorry to say this but I do not think that a child can be riased as well by a single person as that child could by 2 parents.

I should mention at this point my parents split up when i was 6.
    Fortunatly my father lived relitivly close to us, and while we did not always see him that regularly, he has always been a strong paternal influence on me.
    He has always shown me understanding, compassion, fairness and intelligence, and as such been a strong role model for me.

On the female side I would say my sister has been a stronger role model than my mother.

Many case's where a child is being brought up by a single parent they miss out on one role model, and as a mother and father are meant to provide very different role models, and 1 person cannot be both.

I'm not saying that single/homosexual parents should not be allowed to adopt... If a hetrosexual couple can have a babie and be bad parents a homosexual couple have a right to try and do better.

So, while i do think these groups should be allowed to try, i don't think they can give as good an upbringing as a 2 parent(1 male / 1 female) family can.
  • Options
    I don't dispute that a child brought up in a "family" environment is likely to be more rounded, studies have shown this.

What I cannot accept is that homosexuals/single parents cannot offer such an environment or, more importantly, that what they can offer is worse than a council run home.

At present we have a falling number of couples wanting to adopt children and we faced greater problems housing and caring for these children in institutions than we do if we disallow some people from adoption purely on the basis of their sexual orientation.

Nothing in law prevents either of these groups from having children of their own, and quite frankly I cannot see the difference here.