Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Meaning of Love?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't usually post anything in here, but I'm going to give it a shot :)

Its a random question but I'm now questioning myself regarding it...

Define love? Can you deeply care for someone and not love them? Can you be with someone you don't love and survive on just devoltion? Is it true that you can tell if your in love or is it something we just are... how close is the fine line between love and deeply caring?

Comments

• Options
    Deeply caring is loving. It's just a different type of love than what you mean by "love". Agape - friend love, Eros - romantic love, etc etc. Ah, those Greeks are so articulate.

I don't know if you can 'just tell'. I think a lot of people are too confused to just know it, especially in this day and age when everybody's got so many issues and insecurities. Or perhaps they were always there, but people are more open about them these days? I don't really know what I'm rambling on about. Sorry, dear.
  • Options
    It just makes me wonder, after all its a term that is so frequently used that its hard determining if or not its actually genuine and then how do you determine true love from our more freely and openly used counterpart.

I read some questionaires posted on LJ recently with many people saying how many times they'd been in love (ie. 2-3 etc.) and I put myself 0 and then felt slightly heartless about it all.

I deeply care for people but I don't love, or maybe I do but just don't realise it. Its never something that slapped me in the face and I thought "shit I'm actually in love", I guess I'm living the fairy-tale.... either that or I'm quite hard faced thinking 'love' is overrated. :confused:
  • Options
    I suppose a pretty sure indication that you're in love would be how you prioritize the other person. If you really love somebody, then you'd be willing to let them go, and it would hurt you like hell, but you would do it anyway if it was the best thing for them. Sometimes it's just a warm glow too--I know that sounds so cliche, but some people you can automatically relax around and feel completely comfortable and accepted in their presence, and you will accept them without judgment or clauses, no matter that you don't always agree with their opinions.

Meh. What do I know, anyway? I can say that I've been in love at least once. Possibly twice. And I don't think I've ever been loved, so I'm definitely no authority.
  • Options
    love is a word, that is all.
  • Options
    there is a difference between like and love,
    see, i like my sketchers but i love my prada back-pack

- from some movie
  • Options
    Love for me personally means, caring and devoting yourself unconditionally to there every need. Finding yourself liking everything they do and believing everything they say is the right way. Feeling physically ill if you are without them for a certain amount of time and needing to touch them constantly. Also giving them all have to give and helping them out when they are in trouble. understanding and non-judgemental regarding the things they do the things they do and trusting them deep in your heart.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    there is a difference between like and love,
    see, i like my sketchers but i love my prada back-pack

- from some movie

It's from 10 things i hate about you, i think anyway.

I agree with TheMistress, love is not being able to be away from the person and thinking about them every moment of the day.
  • Options
    I'm not so sure I'm capable of loving or being loved.

How sad :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheMistress
    Love for me personally means, caring and devoting yourself unconditionally to there every need. Finding yourself liking everything they do and believing everything they say is the right way. Feeling physically ill if you are without them for a certain amount of time and needing to touch them constantly. Also giving them all have to give and helping them out when they are in trouble. understanding and non-judgemental regarding the things they do the things they do and trusting them deep in your heart.

I agree with MOST of this but from a more male orientated perspective obviously. The only thing that I wonder is does love last? Or does the initial love towards a partner eventually turn into habit? Can you keep up the constant interest in your partner and constant thoughts about them and need to be with them for 20 years+?
  • Options
    Love....hmmm....like some one said 'love is just a word' and u cant define it until uve felt it.
  • Options
    I agree with MOST of this but from a more male orientated perspective obviously. The only thing that I wonder is does love last? Or does the initial love towards a partner eventually turn into habit? Can you keep up the constant interest in your partner and constant thoughts about them and need to be with them for 20 years+?

I think it's definately possible. But it takes alot of communication, respect, understanding and compatibility.

On a realistic note, nothing lasts forever..
  • Options

On a realistic note, nothing lasts forever..

Too true. Keep in touch with me Carmen and when we're old and single we can get it on. I can see it now! 50 Year Carmen Electra and Wheelchaired Pirate Zippy, bonking like rabbits.
  • Options
    *Chuckles* :D
  • Options

think you said it all mistress!!!:love::love:
  • Options
    There are different degrees and types of love. You can love your mother, sister and girlfriend all at the same time but they are all different kinds of love. Different types of love also mature into new forms as we go through life learning lessons and suffering certain pains.

Take divorced people who have married new people as an example. Most of us, when we were married to our first spouse, went into the relationship with all these gooey and mushy feelings, very immature and expectant of things that we never realised were unobtainable. New love is like that. It's just all dreams and wistful fantasy of what we HOPE our lives together will be. Now, in a second marriage to a new partner the way we love is different, more mature and more realistic. We no longer expect all the mushy stuff and the cutsie-poo endearments and nicknames. We see things with a clearer eye and are more sure of what we want and what not to expect. We've learned this through the pain and suffering of the first failed marriage. We still love as strongly and with as much devotion, but it is a different love directed by past experiences.
  • Options
    Love is the most amazing thing we have been given, and nothing will ever compare in beauty or magnificence. So many emotions are encompassed in that one word. Dreams, triumphs, losses, heartbreak and indescribable joy are all part and parcel of love.

But nobody truly understands love. It seems to be universal. Timeless. Yet, it's also very individual, filtered by our own lives and expectations. I don't understand love, and can't understand love, because it's a different thing for each of us. It is not a simple thing. Some say it is based on friendship, some on trust, others on sharing. Yet it is a beautiful thing for those who are lucky enough to possess it. People say that they would do anything for love, because it is a many splendoured thing. But it is also a heartache in itself if it happens to go awry.

*reads through what she wrote*

Hmm, maybe I should hand that in for English class....