Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Panick atacks?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, i am kind of new here so first of all just wanted to say hello to every one... "Hey!:D "

I just wanted to ask has anyone here ever had a so called "panick attack", i have been to the doctors and am having some tests done soon to check that i am generally o.k. and wondered if anyone else has had these?

I am a 15 yr old guy and what bacically happens, is a feeling of sickness, sweaty palms, dizzyness & usually a heart rate of 140+ which is seriously scary... Anyone got any tips for controling these?

Anyway thanks for your help...

;)

Comments

• Options
    Hi. :) Well whaddaya know, we already have something (not something good though!) in common. I share you're age, gender, and a rather unfortunate state of mind that leeds to me getting panic attacks.

I've got the exact same, um, symptoms or whatever you wanna call them, and probably know exactly how you feel having them too. It's not a nice experience. :( I can't really give any advice on preventing, I've only had them when things have gone seriously wrong, but unfortunately recently a hell of a lot things have been going seriously wrong for me. :( I recomend you just try to feel as healthy and normal as possible (which you've already said you feel ok most of time anyway) and try not to let things take over your life. It's understandable for you to get them when you get really nervous, or if you're particuarly self conscious or if something bad/traumatic has happened, whatever.

When you're having them just try to think of something else or maybe a similar situation to the one you're experiencing at the time, but one where you didn't have a panic attack or whatever and try to focus on how if you were find with the situation then, you'll be ok this time. You'll be ok mate. :)

And I don't even want to know what that wink was in aid of. :p
  • Options
    Yeah, i've had a few, partly cos i have a phobia of vomit and partly cos when i had M.E, leaving my house made me very panicky - another fun symptom. Do you know if anything is triggering it? I just used to go and find somewhere quiet, sit down and concentrate on my breathing, trying to keep it slow and calm. It helped me.
  • Options
    Thanks, as far as i can tell these were triggered by having loads of caffine, so at the moment i have cut down on Cola, chocolate etc:

I think that im probably getting a load of these at the moment possibly because of the stress of coursework etc:

Anyway thanks again for replying:cool:

:)
  • Options
    Hi TT,

HAve you had a look at our factsheets?
    http://www.thesite.org/info/health/anxiety_and_stress/

Also, try doing a search of the health board and you will see that many people have had similar experiences.
  • Options
    Hey, I'm a 16 yr old girl, and suffer (and i mean SUFFER) from panic attacks.
    I used to be really loud, bubbly and made friends easily, now I can't even get on a public bus or walk into a busy shop. I just cease up, and have a panic attack.
    people think i am just over-reacting to difficult situations, so i have to explain to people how I feel when a panic attack comes on. So I know how frustrating they can be.
    I haven't seen a doctor about it, but now after reading your post, I think i mite...Thanx :D
    SweetLeaf X
  • Options
    Panic Attacks

Hey! :)

I wud just like to say to u all that i used to get panice attacks all the time when i was 15. It was durin my exams, but i hd to work out wat was causin them, and try and stop them. When i felt them comin on i just had to calm myself do and breath properly, then think wat caused it and then stop it happenin. I evetually stoped them.

So good luck to all of u, i no its hard but u will get there !!
  • Options
    When my brother was your age he used to suffer from panic attacks in difficult situations as well. The only thing I can remember that helped him was breathing into a paper bag to stop him hyperventilating.

When I was 15 I had a similar problem as well, bit different but kind of similar! I found it very hard to leave the house and really stuggled to cope with being out the house and being with people, in crowds, in difficult situations, in places where I'd struggled to cope before and therefore presumed I would find it hard to cope again etc.

The only bit of advice I can give you that helped me is something my homoeopath told me to do. He said that you have to imagine every step of what you're about to do , e.g go out to a place where you know you could find it hard to cope or something, and go over each step in your mind over and over again. You have to imagine coping with it and enjoying it. To begin with as you're imagining it you can freak out a bit and feel that you can't do it and may as well not try but he said to keep imagining it till you can do it in your mind and then when you come to the real thing your brain is geared up as to how you are going to cope with the situation and automatically does what you've progammed it to do i.e cope, and therefore you do successfully cope with the situation. It's called 'neuro linguistic programming' or something and I probably haven't explained it very well at all and it probably makes very little sense but I found it very helpful. I know it sounds a bit too good to be true but I was very surprised at how much it helped me when I tried it so I wanted to share it with you. I know I haven't explained it very well so if anyone else has been given that same advice and feel you could explain it more clearly please feel free to!

I really hope it might help a little bit and that you learn to cope with your panic attacks. I'm sure they will get better. If it's any consolation my brother no longer has problems with them, as he got older they just seemed to happen less often. And I seem to be maybe getting over my problem a little bit ( I still struggle a bit but I seem to gradually be making progress!) so you will get over this. It's a difficult age anyway and hopefully as you get older you'll stop having problems with panic attacks. I hope that's been of some help and at least made a little bit of sense (I don't seem to be making a lot of sense tonight!!) All the best. CL xxx.:D
  • Options
    This post got me thinkin but i don't know if what happens to me is the same. For about a year now i sometimes get these shaking fits where i can't stop trembling like i'm really REALLY cold. It usually happens when i'm drinking in bars and i couple of times when i smoke in school. I'm a pretty paranoid person as it is, so maybe it has to do with being afraid of being caught? my friends always mention it and i pass it off as just being cold, but know it's startin to get to me, are these like mild panic attacks or anything or am i just over reacting?