Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Prozac

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok done a search but just want to ask a question i never found the answer to.

I've just started taking prozac & am having trouble sleeping, i see from old posts that people do, its a side effect. What i want to know is does it pass?

Very tired person.

Comments

• Options
    never knew it did cause that. it should pass though. i've been taking it for 7 years and i sleep wonderfully. once you get used to it, it will stop.
  • Options
    However if you find it doesn't pass, or are worried about any side effects you are experiencing go back to your GP and discuss it with them.

Susie :)
  • Options
    Hmmm... i didn't notice any side effects when i was on it, and because i had been having difficulty sleeping for months already, my doctor gave me sleeping tablets at the same time as the prescription for prozac. It should pass, but yeah, go to the doctor's if it doesn't.
  • Options
    I'm a little surprised that you were prescribed prozac, I thought the more modern ones where prescribed now, like sertraline (sp?) which has less side effects.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, got to stop taking it anyway as i had a migrane last night & doc doesnt want to risk it being because of the prozac.
    *Back on the rollercoaster of trying tablets again, sigh*

bongbudda i was probably presribed them as Cyprimil & some other tablet made me sick.:confused::(
  • Options
    Best of luck with the anti-depressant hunt...
    I was mad as a lorry load of ferrets when I was on Prozac! .:crazyeyes Seriously radge and out of control, but very "peppy" and energetic (which I certainly wasn't when not chemically stimulated...)
    My other half was not a happy bunny that I was so aggro so I saw the Doc in order to save my relationship as well as heft myself out of depression...

Prozac, Cipramil and Seroxat etc are all members of the same drug family: Selective Seratonin Re-uptake Inhibitors (SSRI) but they are all different and although they all have some side effects, it's not guaranteed that you'll end up with any on a different SSRI

The migraine thing is a nastier than average thing to co-incide with taking anti-depressants... but there are some anti-migraine pills you can take with SSRIs:best ask your Doc again (mine's lovely.. almost worth being ill to see her!!!)
  • Options
    Have you tried any other forms of antidepressants? I was on a tri-cyclic one, amitrypteline(sp?!), which apparently has less side effects. It buggered up my liver though, so i was taken off it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Sa-ra-ra-ra
    Have you tried any other forms of antidepressants?

Yeah tried three now, getting a bit pissed off with it. Got to go back to the doctors in the morn to discuss what now!!
  • Options
    Update...

Well just for the record..... went back to the docs & he wants me to start taking them again:rolleyes: wish he'd make his mind up.
    My Thyroid was very underactive again so my symptoms could be to do with that! Lets hope the higher dose Thyroxine sorts me out.:)
  • Options
    Ick, dont touch the stuff. If you want a no side effect drug, take St.johns Wort. See ur doc about taking it 1st though as it can interfere with other drugs such as the pill, but its all natural and works wonders. Prozac and other such drugs are bad for you in the end... and 7 years is heck of a long time to be taking prozac my_name!

For some top notch herbal advice look up the book:
    Natural Highs by Patrick Holford

it's a fntastic book and will really boost your well beingif you follow its advice :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hippi
    Ick, dont touch the stuff. If you want a no side effect drug, take St.johns Wort.

Hmmm not true, there are some side effects for this drug.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hippi
    Ick, dont touch the stuff. If you want a no side effect drug, take St.johns Wort.

Bollocks. Bollocks. Bollocks,

St Johns Wort has been proven to be quite dangerous to take without proper mediacl supervision, and it has also been proven to have njo more effect than a placebo. That means Ive got as much chance of beating depression with a pack of TicTacs as with Wort.

Prozac aint ideal, but its one of the best on the market. But no drug is without side-effects.

As for the initial question, then, yes, it should subside. It affects the digestive system (so expect runny shits for a week or two) and sexual performance, but the side-effects do wane. Still better than feeling suicidal mind. Obviously, though, if the side-effects dont wane or become untolerable then return to your doctor, and he can play 'pin the anti-d on the person' all over again.