Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

cant get a job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I dont know how posting this will help but im getting so upset and annoyed because i cant get a job anywhere:( . I have been working at my present two jobs for 3 years (im 18) and been wanting to quit them for ages but wanted to wait till i had a new job lined up before i quit them. well i ended up quiting them both the other week because i couldnt take waiting for a new job any longer coz i hate my jobs so much. I have applied to 4 different places (waited a month for replies) now and even been to a temping agent and i cant get a job. its really getting me down because my parents keep having a go at me for not working even though they know how hard im trying to get a job and i have only been not working for 3 days now. Even when i was working a saturday and two evenings (at school as well) they said it wasnt enough. to make it worse i have debts of 350 quid to pay off before the summer and i dont know how the hell im going to do it at this rate:(

Comments

• Options
    Job hunting can get so demoralising, can't it...

I suggest you pop along to your local careers centre with your current CV and any copies of covering letters you may have written and get them to do the once over on them. I don't know what kind of work you are trying to get so I can't give specific advice.

Anyway a one-to-one session should sort you out, give you pointers on where to look for work and how to nail the job. Have you rung the places you applied to to see if they have filled the positions you applied for? Some places can take a while, so it may be worth a polite chase-up to check where you stand.

We've also got stacks of advice here

Susie :)
  • Options
    keep it up!

Smile!

all is normal! nobody finds Jobs easily especially at our level (age!), unless yir looking fir a bar job! (masses in Edinburgh). What is it you're lookin for?

i have to do a work placement as part of my course at uni and i sent of 170 cv's, No S**T!, ok i got a job, but only after 4 months.
    and i only wanted a 3 month placement!

maybe a wee tip!... dinnae put clubbin in your interests! like i did!

good luck!
  • Options
    Cant get a job - hang in there

Your parents are being unfair.
    I have work as a Recruitment Consultant in London for 5 years and never have I seen the job market so bad. Tell your parents it’s not your fault it is market conditions. Recently I have seen so many people in the same position as you. If people are lucky to even get an interview you can guarantee that you are up against at least 20 other candidates - that is tough competition!

Try not to let it get you down as I have told many of the people I am representing. If you confidence is damaged (which is likely) this can reflect when interviewing and can make you come across negative – so chin up and keep persevering ohh and keep positive.

TJK
  • Options
    hey i know how you feel. i've applied for about 12 jobs since i left skool and i only got replies from about 3 of them. i think the truth is there ain't much out there for young people under the age of 20. and don't worry bout your parents, mine are the same. they keep breathing down my neck at me to get a job, and it isn't due to lack of trying th@ i ani't got 1 yet, its just the companies aren't willing to take on too many young ppl:(
  • Options
    tell me about it applied for my 7th job today! havent had a single reply yet and 4 of them i sent off over a month ago:mad:
  • Options
    Firstly, good luck stick in there and you WILL get something.

I'm just wondering if you're looking for a permenant job, or something to keep you going until college or uni?

I did a season working on the cruise ships last year, came home and spent six months jobhunting at home in Scotland. I can sympathise about not hearing back from applications - I'd rather have a letter saying thanks but no, than be left hanging.

I eventually got a job a couple of months ago, but in order to do so, I ended up moving to London.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MiniMo
    I'm just wondering if you're looking for a permenant job, or something to keep you going until college or uni?

im looking for anything at the mo really. im going to college in september so im available to work full time until then and weekends and evenings after that.

same here, i wish they wouls send you replies saying that they dont want you. thanx for your help anyways:D
  • Options
    You could try signing on with a temping agency. Ring them every morning fairly early to show that you're keen to work.

http://www.thesite.org/info/careers/getting_a_job/temping.html
  • Options
    thanx karla. i did go to one originally but they said they have had so many applicants it wouldnt really be worth my while giving them a cv
  • Options
    Good luck in finding a job!

I've been looking for nearlya year now. Getting despartae, but I'm looking for something which gives me a chance to work for qualifiactions and a career.

Thankfully the temping agencies are being good to me and I don't go more than a couple of days without jobs, but i am well known at them.

Go round all in your area and leave you cv, have a chat an then call them all very day. if you keep your name bouncing round their office you're the first person they think of when I job comes in.

go down to your local careers office and see what they have and just don't get depressed about it.

THings will come up and all will be ok.
  • Options
    I'm 29 now, I have been only been unemployed 3 (three) days since leaving school at 16.

Whenever i thought I was about to get laid off, I picked up the phone book and called as many local companies as i could.
    It feels strange at first, asking a HR person you dont know if they have any jobs, but beleive me, it gets easier and it does work.

I have now been in my present job for almost 11 years...a job I wouldnt have got if I hadnt called up and asked if they had any going spare.

Companies like the direct approach, as it shows initiative, and it saved them the hassle of advertising and lots of interveiws.

Cheer up, it will get better.
  • Options
    Like 10bellies, I have had virtually nil unemployment since leaving school 22 years ago. I have made snooker tables, served a mechanical engineering apprenticeship, worked my way up to workshop manager, been assistant parts department manager, stock control, sales, delivery driver, paint sprayer & now IT tutor. I have only worked for 5 employers, the engineering/parts/sales/stock control & workshop manager were all for the same company - promotion from within.

A tip - enclose a stamped addressed envelope with your application, you are more likely to get a reply, even if it isn't the one you want to hear. It also shows you're eagerness for the job.
  • Options
    I graduated from University this summer, but I can't get a job because I have no experience. Of course, I can't get experience without a job...
  • Options
    Just like one of the other guys, I used to work in Recruitment - IT sector, and the market is tough out there. You have to bear in mind that the next job you go for is going to be temp or turn to part time when you go to college in a couple of months.

A couple of things you can do at the moment are, 1) call up the companies you've applied to, to find out the status of your application. If they say you've been unsuccessful, politely ask why - they may give you some feedback (always helpful). 2) is to check your cv to ensure that it is easy on the eye, nicely laid out and shows you in a positive way. Websites like monster.co.uk and fish4jobs.co.uk should have an emails advice page.

Call centre jobs are probably the easiest for you to walk into at the moment - many would be happy for you to work part time or evening shifts. All you need is a strong, clear, polite telephone manner and a willingness to work hard. And they are easy to do!!

Check the websites for the large national/international recruitment companies (ie Adecco) for a list of roles they have available. They may treat you like a piece of meat and just see you as money in their back pocket but when your desperate....beggars can't be choosers.

It is tough to find a job but don't give up. Try and stay positive!
  • Options
    i know exactly how you feel.

as a college student i seemed to get a job with a click of my fingers, soon as i quit college with the intention of gettin a job it all went wrong.
    i was out 6 days a week job hunting...its not that i didnt pass the interview, just that i couldnt find a place with vacancies (and they kept fuckin me around with my cv etc etc)
    i was almost kicked out on the streets because my parents thought i was dossing with my mates all day.:mad:
    ah well, they're kinda happy now i finally managed to get one.

believe me...it does get slightly better.
  • Options
    Ok just thought i would update you guys.

Ive finally got an interview tomorrow after sending off 9 CV's and nearly 3 months of waiting. It's at Marks and Spencer so hopefully it'll go ok. Ill keep you posted

:)
  • Options
    Good Luck SMB
  • Options
    no such luck im afraid. They didnt have any apropriate vacancies that would work with college. They offered me a place at another store but the hours where really stupid;

Saturday - 5.30am-1pm:eek:
    and
    Sunday - 9am-3pm

:(
  • Options
    finally got myself a job!!! took bloody long enough. It's in a pub serving behind the bar. Saturday nights though which is pretty shit but dont really have a choice
  • Options
    Originally posted by Schnap me Baby
    finally got myself a job!!! took bloody long enough. It's in a pub serving behind the bar. Saturday nights though which is pretty shit but dont really have a choice

I've graduated from uni with a degree and I'm working in a bar aswell! I can't find anything in my subject (Graphic Design) that doesn't want at least a year's experience! It sucks that you go thru uni for 3 years and still can't get a decent job!! :(