Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Skinny body

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi im 16 and have finally decided that I need to do something about my body (or try to..)

I try to eat as much as I can which isnt alot, I dont have breakfast, I rarely have a proper lunch but usually have tea. I stuff myself with snacks etc when I get home, but only actually get to have tea if my mum has bothered to save me some. She is always busy with her job and only goes shopping once every two weeks. I dont think she's around enough to realise that im so skinny.

Would eating more fatten me up ? If not what else could I do ? My brother left he's weights here, (I know nothing about weights they are just little grey things) I am wondering if using these each day would do something aswell?

ty.
sach

Comments

• Options
    Do you smoke?
    Ive always been slim, anyway when I packed in smoking i put weight on. I began eating properly, I actually was hungry. Maybe it was because I needed to do something with my hands so I automatically began to eat more.

You can do excersise which will help to tone you, but to be honest youre better off going to a gym and getting them to show you what excersises to do. They know which parts of your body you will need to work on, also show you exactly how to do them.

You should also be eating properly. obviously if youre not eating regular and eating the right sorts of food you arent going to get anywhere. I try to eat 3 meals a day and also still binge on other stuff. Toast or cereal for Breakfast, Sandwich or something for dinner them have a bigger meal at teatime. Then later on during the night I pick on biscuits, crisps etc.

You could be just like me where you wont put weight on. When I was younger I used to wish i could put on weight, however now im so glad I am slim. I am a size 10 clothing and I can still get into " Kylie Range " clothes ( from Mackays).
    I dont think im doing so bad considering im 39:D
  • Options
    Cut out on all snacks and keep yourself on 3 meals a day until your body gets use to it... Just treat yourself everyone once in a while till a bag of crisps which are low fat... :)
  • Options
    Hiya Sach, you haven't actually said how much you weigh and your height or anything. Because you are still 16 and still growing, I think you should see your GP about your concerns about your weight because you want to get proper advice about what you should do instead of making it up as you go along!

Eating habits can do weird things to your body. After I went on the pill I put on half a stone and I spent almost a year trying to shift that weight. At the time my eating habit was: Breakfast, no lunch, the getting home at 5 and snacking myself silly.

During the summer I decided to stick to 3 meals a day not caring how much weight I put on or lost, and I actually lost almost a stone! Which reinforces the fact that changing your eating habits can change the way you look!

But yeah, def and go and see the GP about your concerns, they can give you better advice :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by madinthenut
    Cut out on all snacks and keep yourself on 3 meals a day until your body gets use to it... Just treat yourself everyone once in a while till a bag of crisps which are low fat... :)

Heyhey...i like the gingerbread man in the avatar...
  • Options
    Have you always been thin? Is your mother also thin? This could just be a family trait. I would do as go-away has recommended and see your GP. You need to rule out the possibility of an overactive thyroid. If your thyroid is fine you might just have a very fast metabolism like I do. At age 39, and two babies later, I am still only 115 lbs (7.5 stones ?). Try as I might I could NEVER put on weight when I was your age. My doctor put me on a daily can of beer at age 11 but I hated the taste and only did that twice.

You might want to try adding some jars of baby food to your diet as they are full of nutrients and help to put on extra weight. It sounds gross but really works. Also try drinking Build-Up twice a day, but only after discussing it with your GP.
  • Options
    Hi there

You just aren't eating enough. Make time for breakfast and lunch, and you won't need food supplements. Doing weights won't make much difference because you aren't taking in enough protein and energy to do exercise and build muscle.

It also sounds to me like you want your Mum to notice that you aren't well/healthy. Ask her to sit down and make some time to talk about your concerns.

Check out our factsheets too - use the Search TheSite button at the top of the page.
  • Options
    At 16, you are still growing so you need to eat at least 3 times a day! I am fairly skinny and have stayed the same weight from the age of 16! I often go through periods when I am not hungry at all and I have to force small amounts of food down as I know I will feel faint if I don't!

I always eat breakfast and try to each a little every so often to prevent the light headedness.

I would talk to the GP or you could try an extra supplement that increases your weight! Some people are naturally very slim and I find it hard to put on weight!

:)
  • Options
    Ive noticed that there is a lot of help about for people who want to lose weight but for people wanting to gain weight there is nothing.

Id be curious to know how tall you are and your weight, it could be your worrying about absolutely nothing at all:)
  • Options
    If you don't mind me asking, do you just simply not feel hungry and therefore not eat breakfast and lunch? I'd probably go with the speaking to your mum seriously about it as at 16 and growing you definately need to be eating proper meals as you could do yourself more harm than good by not getting your nutritional values. I wouldn't get worried about it though as that def won't help. But if you can't face going to a gp then just ring up the nurse and ask if you can have a chat with her.