Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Pill and Weight Gain ????

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi there, my gf recently went on the pill- i think it was 'Nystrogen' or the like,

and she is complaining that she is putting weight on - and that it has actualy put her off sex.

what would be a good alternative?

Regards,

Comments

• Options
    A different pill. She can easily go to her doctor & explain the situation & be prescribed another.
  • Options
    Pill stuff here mate :)

The Pill

Best thing to do is to get your girlfriend to pop down to he doctors so he can prescribe her a new brand.
  • Options
    I've put on a stone and a half and gone up 2 bra sizes since ive been on the pill:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Schnap me Baby
    I've gone up 2 bra sizes since ive been on the pill:(

Why the sad face about that!
  • Options
    Tell her to cut all extra salt out. That's the main reason for weight being put on or so one of my mates was told. never been on the pill meself though so can't say from personal experience.
  • Options
    hmmmm, I've been on the pill about 5 or 6 months n I've lost weight, but I think thats probably due to excessive weekend activities n the fact that I was gettin a lot more "excersize" probably had something to do with it too..... n my boobs do appear to have grown!

One thing I would strongly advise against tho is the injection form of the pill, went on it a few years ago n put on about 2 n a half stone in about 6 months... altho I guess its probably different for everyone
  • Options
    I put on weight when I was on the pill, and it did affect my relationship. I've got back to my original shape now :D but I won't take the pill again for that reason.

I found that all the different pills have similar affects. It just didn't suit me. :eek2:
  • Options
    i just started the pill, its Levlite i think? anyway..... i think that its had the opposite affect on me that it has on most! I didnt gain weight (my boobs didnt grow either though, shame) ive been in a WAY better mood, im not so paranoid or jealous; not that i was obssessive before or anything.....anyway i dont know if its that certian kind or what, but its great. when i talked to my doctor she said that the side effects are so minimal compared to what it does, i think your gf should stay on it for a while a lot of times it takes about 3 months for the body to adjust to the different hormonal balance.

there are lots of other forms of birth control though, she could get a shot ( works for 6 months and she doesnt have to do anything) or a diaphram or a coil i think they even have these things out that are little rings inserted just below the cervix opening that produce a low level of hormones...... or good ole condoms! there are lots of options and she needs to talk to her gyno, she obviously isnt the first person thats had issues with the pill
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucke80
    i

there are lots of other forms of birth control though, she could get a shot ( works for 6 months and she doesnt have to do anything) or a diaphram or a coil i think they even have these things out that are little rings inserted just below the cervix opening that produce a low level of hormones...... or good ole condoms! there are lots of options and she needs to talk to her gyno, she obviously isnt the first person thats had issues with the pill

The shot's only for 3 months. It's usually called depo, and it's the same hormones as the ones in the pill :)
  • Options
    A lot of people use the pill as an excuse for putting on weight. I'm not saying that she's done this but it happens.

There's a new-ish pill called Yasmin that doesn't cause weight gain. She could go back to her docs and get that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Deeeeb

Why the sad face about that!

its really unconfortable and makes me really self concience. Its also bloody painful coz im a 34 D now:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Schnap me Baby
    I've gone up 2 bra sizes since ive been on the pill:(

Which pill are you on? I need to swap! ;) lol

I've never had any side effects what-so-ever on mine which is lucky.
  • Options
    All that some pills do is increase your appetite slightly. Or so i was led to believe from my doctor. So it's like anything, just watch that the extra food your eating isn't all junkfood and the weight gain won't happen.

I was on the marvlon pill for two years but came off it recently due to bad side effects