Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

An open letter to MacKenzie

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
MacKenZie wrote on 10-09-2002 06:02 PM:
Hi,

Could you explain, either in PM or a thread, why Thanatos has been kicked off again? I thought we were all comfortable with his 'the man you love to hate' routine? :)

Mac

Mac,

No problems with 'the man you love to hate routine'.

I'm happy to be completely transparent so here goes:

Examples like this - para. 2 - (I hope the hyperlink shows up here) have occurred frequently over the last 6 months or more. Thanatos has known that this conduct is not acceptable from day 1 and has been given every opportunity (pl. -ies) to meld in with the sensibilities of the community on The Site.

One thing we always bear in mind when considering 'acceptable conduct' is the target audience of The Site which includes the early teen-somes along with the rest of us. I ask you to consider what sort of an example that a mature man like Thanatos is setting, for other members (and non-members alike) using these boards?

I wonder if you would consider The Site a hospitable place to voice your views if you came up against personal insults like the above? I believe we are fairly liberal in our approach to the way members choose to express themselves on the BB.

I would hope you would be reasonable enough to agree that a point must be reached when the threshold for persuasion is exceeded and more direct action is needed. (Whether it is Thanatos or not.)

As a footnote: Thanatos is not the only member that has come close to stepping over the line on multiple occassions, the difference to date is that these other members have toned down their use of flagrant personal attacks. We will continue to monitor these situations closely.

I hope that you find this information helpful.

Regards,

Squinty. :cool:

Ed to correct hyperlink.

Comments

• Options
    The link you put is to report a post, not to the post itself...
  • Options
    Well written squinty.

As some-one with completly terrible spelling and gramma I apreciate it all the more in other people.

Its just unfortunate that the link wasn't pointing to some-thing more...err.... substantail .
    Or at least a remark aimed at some-one less able to defend themselves than Vox, as they have proved on a number of occasions to be intelligent and confident enough to let this slip of their back.

To be honest I only skimmed that part of the post when i read it, as it obviously didn't have any serious argument in it.
  • Options
    I trust you will be continuing this trend Squinty? Cracking down on all others as well?

IMO Thanatos was no worse than some others that are still present on the board.

You worry about the example he was setting? Have you read the anything goes forum lately? :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Any names in particular Balddog?

I only ask to make sure i'm not on that list....

I know i tend to support the side of the aurgument that is least popular...

And can be rather long winded, critical and sarcastic....

But i try to play nice.... really i do.... ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    Any names in particular Balddog?

I only ask to make sure i'm not on that list....

I know i tend to support the side of the aurgument that is least popular...

And can be rather long winded, critical and sarcastic....

But i try to play nice.... really i do.... ;)

Reminds me of kindergarten, when everyone would say "I didn't do it".

Btw, Squinty, wasn't it a weird way to ban him? I mean, you let him post, and even reply to him, and then ban...

And on another note, as others have said, I have seen harsher comments on this board.

Thanatos shouldn't be made to set an example to anyone. He has his views, and only represents himself. I don't know how much he would like to hear, that he has been made a "role-model" for others here.
  • Options
    I wasn't saying "it wasn't me"

In fact i was admitting that it very possibly could have been.....

And was asking to find out.

I'd rather know if some-one finds a comment I made out of bounds, than only find out when i try and log on and can't.
  • Options
    I'd rather know if some-one finds a comment I made out of bounds, than only find out when i try and log on and can't.

Agreed, but this isn't the first time for him. He was originally on here as plain Thanatos, with his son, Thanatos..jnr.

Both were banned some time ago (I think it was during an argument about gays is the military), and he has been warned, sometimes publically, on numerous occasions.

Can't really be a surprise.

And the comment mentioned above was totally unnecessary.

That said, looking at this particular forum, you cannot say that we aren't all able to hold our own. It's not like this place is populated with the "innocents" seen in the sex forum for example. I'd certainly be surprised if the average age of this forum was under 18...
  • Options
    For an accurate reference, one might peruse the Sex and Drug forums for an accurate guage with which to judge the innocense or naivite of the members... ;)
  • Options
    Hi Gunny....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat
    Hi Gunny....

Yo! SIR!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by E7_0311

Yo! SIR!!!

Gosh, for some reason that looks familiar ;)
  • Options
    DomDom Deactivated Posts: 344 The Mix Regular
    Just to let you all know that we all back Squinty on this. Over the last year or so, Thanatos/ E7_0311 has had multiple warnings and even been banned before for comments and behaviour we saw as objectionable.

We don't ban for nothing and we give users pleny of opportunities to modify their behaviour.

And by the way, I want to make it clear that our banning rules are based on the way users treat each other, not on the views they have. We pride ourselves on the fact that people can have different views on these boards and not get banned for disagreeing with the majority.

But continuous abusive remarks aren't tolerated. And we sill stick by that.

Dom
  • Options
    For an accurate reference, one might peruse the Sex and Drug forums for an accurate guage with which to judge the innocense or naivite of the members... ;)

And it's nothing to do with "innocense (sic) or naivite (sic)" - it's do with common respect.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dom
    it's do with common respect.

Ah, shit Dom. Does that mean that we have to show Steelgate some respect? Or can we maintain our healthy comtempt for him and his views?

:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Ah, shit Dom. Does that mean that we have to show Steelgate some respect? Or can we maintain our healthy comtempt for him and his views?

Indeed; if you must, hate the politics, but don't hate the man.

;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dom
    hate the politics, but don't hate the man.

Erm.

Yeah.

Okay.

;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dom

Indeed; if you must, hate the politics, but don't hate the man.

;)

Come now, I doubt anyone hates Steelgate. Pities him is more likely.
  • Options
    I don't know, I think he riles us on purpose. Maybe if he wrote other things not to do with politics he could endear himself better to us.....oh well.
  • Options
    Cokephreak....It wasnt you I had in mind :)
  • Options

Yo! SIR!!!

That is the expected response of ANY Marine EM to an Officer, not just Thanatos or his son...
  • Options
    Thanks bulldog, thats one person that doesn't find me distasteful and offensive to the point of wanting to remove me from society.

Now theres only a few thousand thesite members and a few million actaul people in the country to hear back from ;)
  • Options
    Now theres only a few thousand thesite members and a few million actaul people in the country to hear back from ;)

Is there a time limit, or can I think about it for a little while longer?

:p
  • Options
    MoK

Oh, i don't care about your opinion... I just want to know about the people that matter.

:p

Ah, ok, you know i love ya really.
  • Options
    MoK

Oh, i don't care about your opinion... I just want to know about the people that matter.

Good comeback.

Bastard

:)
  • Options
    i feel better now...the mods grammer and spelling is..well as good as mine !...
  • Options
    Im finding it interesting whats deemed acceptable on this board and whats deemed unacceptable. And the way its dealt with.

You can use vulgar language, but you cant say what you think about certian things. Ill try to watch and learn.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    morrocan roll

Is spelling and grammar something you get banned for? Mines terrible, Ill be banned right away.