Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why is Russia still possess a permanent place on the US Security Council?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I think it's quite apparent that Russia is not a world power. Yet it still assumes a permanent place on the US Security Council. Why?

Russia is still only of consequence in a military manner and even then its power cannot equate with the old Soviet Union. Unlike the other fgur members (USA, UK, France and China) it has NEVER been an economic force.

I say it should be removed and replaced with Germany. In my mind, if Britain and France can be fixed members so can another nation with equivalent economic and military strength and prowess.

Comments

• Options
    You mean the UN security council!
    Russia may not be the superpower that it once was but it still has considerable influence in the world. Look at the current situation with Iraq. Russia has economic ties with that country, so the US will have to do some persuading if Russia is to support any action against Saddam Hussein.

Russia's economy may be buggered, but it is still a huge country with huge armed forces, the remnants of a space program and a considerable manufacturing industry. They are also one of the world's major exporters of weapons.
  • Options
    France is neither an economic or military power either. I think you'll find political influence has alot to do with it.

To be honest, I'd rather see the power of all five diminished, as far as their veto goes anyway.
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the 5 permanent members of the UN security council were chosen because of their nuclear capability. I've always said that this is unfair and irrelevant and should be scrapped. But as long as the criteria remains, then Russia has as much right to be on the council as everyone else. Especially when you consider that they still possess enough nuclear, biological and chemical warheads to obliterate all life on earth many times over.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the 5 permanent members of the UN security council were chosen because of their nuclear capability. I've always said that this is unfair and irrelevant and should be scrapped. But as long as the criteria remains, then Russia has as much right to be on the council as everyone else. Especially when you consider that they still possess enough nuclear, biological and chemical warheads to obliterate all life on earth many times over.

Nonsense. Only the US had nuclear weapons when the UN was founded.
    France is neither an economic or military power either. I think you'll find political influence has alot to do with it.

More poppycock. Why does France have the world's fifth largest economy if it is not an 'economic power'? Besides France possesses a larger armed forces than Britain.
  • Options
    You mean the UN security council!

So I made a typo. Big motherfucking deal. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by onenatcons

Nonsense. Only the US had nuclear weapons when the UN was founded.

Yes but when was the five-member security council and their right to veto created? Isn't it an amazing coincidence that the 5 permanent countries in the council were the only 5 countries in the world with declared nuclear capability?
  • Options
    ALL members of the Security Council possess a veto, including the temporary members.
  • Options
    the simple truth is there's only one superpower left. russia has no less right to be on it than we do.