Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Today's the anniversary of another terrorist atrocity

...but the media have been (un)surprisingly quiet about this one.

20 years ago today, Lebanese Christian militiamen entered the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps in Lebanon with the full blessing of the Israeli armed forces. What followed was the single worst atrocity committed in the Middle East. Between 800 and 3,500 people were taken out of their homes and murdered in cold blood. The massacre had been allowed to happen by the then Israeli Defence Minister, a certain A. Sharon. He had claimed that 2,000 terrorists remained hidden in the refugee camps, and had them surrounded with Israeli tanks and soldiers (deja vu anyone?). On the morning of September 16 the Israelis allowed the Lebanese fighters in. The rest is history.

As the world stopped last week to remember those killed in last year's atrocity, I had hoped there would be some mention of this one in the Western press. But of course there has never been any intention of remembering those murdered 20 years ago, let alone bring the masterchief to justice.

Some background info here .
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It wasnt terrorism, it was mass murder.

Oh and I read an article about it in either the mail or the times on the anniversay.(EDIT...doh! it was in the bbc online site where i read it, my mistake)

Why would we remember? You reckon Palestine held a minutes silence for the WTC victims? You reckon they hold remembrance for Israel victims of terrorism?
  • Options
    Balddog, Just hope you realise that the WTC victims were not all Americans, nor even westerners. Palestinians were killed there as were Africans of all nationalities and Asians as well.

People have probably been conducting vigils in most nations of the earth. Palestine too no doubt.

I must say the original poster is to be commended for reminding us. We'd get much further down the road to peace if Sharon were removed from the current equation as well as Arafat.
  • Options
    Well no, I didnt realise that. I thought they were all WASPs actually.

I agree that Sharon and Arafat should go.
  • Options
    Ahh so you thought WTC stood for W.A.S.P. Trade Center? lol.
  • Options
    Yep..I always assumed that america was an all white country..
  • Options
    W.A.S.P. ? :confused:
  • Options
    White, Anglo Saxon, Protestant.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Yep..I always assumed that america was an all white country..

I hope you're being sarcastic.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Me? Sarcastic? Never!
  • Options

I'm surprised you need to ask.

Agree with the sentiment that this act of mass murder is just as prevalent as the WTC one. The difference being that these victims didn't have a voice or army to protect them and avenge them.
  • Options

Please don't confirm the old cliche about Americans not getting sarcasm or irony...;)
  • Options
    Americans get both sarcasm and irony, but the clues we use to indicate both are different. Brits think we don't get it, but they simply use different indicators, so they don't always get it when we are being sarcastic or ironic, and we don't always get it when they are.

In addition, sarcasm and irony are both heavily dependent on tone, something that doesn't come over in the written word well.
  • Options

In addition, sarcasm and irony are both heavily dependent on tone, something that doesn't come over in the written word well.

Isn't that the main reason that people use smilies?
  • Options
    Precisely, Squat Tom. If Balddog had included :rolleyes: , there would have been no question...
  • Options
    Americans get both sarcasm and irony, but the clues we use to indicate both are different.

Perhaps we could get the mods to provide some canned-laughter to help our humorously-challenged American friends?

NOTE: THE ABOVE WAS SARCASM ;)
  • Options
    And an excellent example of why sarcasm is considered poor humor by many.
  • Options
    Precisely, Squat Tom. If Balddog had included :rolleyes: , there would have been no question...

Sorry. I thought it was so outrageous as to not need a smiley.

The idea that I thought the US was an all white society is one of the most ludicrous ive ever heard. The idea that I thought all those killed in the WTC were white Americans is just as ludicrous.

Ill try to be more clear next time.
  • Options
    And an excellent example of why sarcasm is considered poor humor by many.

Just for the record, i wasnt trying to be funny. I used the sarcastic comment to ridicule the very strange statement made by Clandestine.
  • Options
    During the Israeli invasion of Lebanon in 1982 thousands of people were also killed and injured by the Israeli army's shelling of the Muslim section of Beruit. This was belived to be a PLO strong hold and was relentlesly pounded with bombs even though it was a densely built up area.

This act of massive bombardment killed far more than the massacres. The Israeli invasion also led to civil war in Lebanon between the Christian pro Israel militias and the Muslim pro- Palestinian militias this civil war also led to thousands and thousands of deaths and injuries and massive destruction of areas of Lebanon.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

Just for the record, i wasnt trying to be funny. I used the sarcastic comment to ridicule the very strange statement made by Clandestine.

I wasn't referring to your sarcasm but to the attempt by Vox...
  • Options

I wasn't referring to your sarcasm but to the attempt by Vox...

But the implication was that Baldy's comments were also supposed to be humourous.
  • Options
    Not meant to be..apologies. Sarcasm isn't always intended as humor.