Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alan Titchmarsh please reply - harvesting bud?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wow! What can I say? My first attempt into growing my own weed in my back garden has gone very well. :D

The bush is over 4' high and since I've been reducing the amount of daylight it gets over recent weeks, it's now covered in wonderful bud! Hehehehe!

Only thing is, when it's ready to harvest, what is the best way to cure and dry it? Has anyone got a good method that's tried an tested? :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. ~T xxx:confused:

Comments

• Options
    Has anyone got a good method that's tried an tested?

Click here for the hempfiles and go to the growing section. loooooong, very long.
    Duffy
  • Options
    lol bet ur neighbours keep sneaking into ur garden to steal sum :)
  • Options
    lol bet ur neighbours keep sneaking into ur garden to steal sum
    shh, i was plannin on doin it! ;)
    Duffy
  • Options
    Any more advice, try the cannabis growing forums at

UK420.com

Lots of top growers on their team - and always more than happy to help:D

PS: You'll find me posting there too, which is the downside:D
  • Options
    PS: You'll find me posting there too, which is the downside :D

Your posts are always great WHSpliff!
    Duffy
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies guys!

No, I keep a beady eye on the plant. I take it out at about 8am and put it away in the shed at about 5pm to force it to bud so the only time the neighbours COULD steal it, is when it's safely tucked up in bed!

I've smoked some of the leaves around the bud and they have quite a kick so I'm hoping the bud is going to be great.

Something very satisfying about growing my own ... :)
  • Options
    i wrote a big long reply to this last night and my computor crashed as i was about to send...so here is the shorter version.
    uproot....clean soil off roots. hang upside down in a pillow case for at least 24hrs. seperate into three lots. the trunk. the leaves and twigs. the buds. the trunk is for the bin. the buds are the cream. the leaves and twigs the milk. i put the buds in small newspaper packages and bind them realy tight..rubber bands to stop them loosening. chuck em in a drawer and forget about them for a few weeks. if you smoke the stuff before it's had time to dry propperly it wont do half what it should.
    do the same with the leaves and twigs...good high.
    the leaves and twigs can be used instead of baccy...then sprinkle your bud in..double whammy.
    the leaves and twigs are not as good as the bud obviously but like i've said before it's still good gear for another occasion another buzz. any male plants you have do the same. they will get you stoned despite all this elitist only the best will do fucking garbage.
    would you rather smoke some mild weed or some benson and hedges ? again use it in place of tobbaco.
    "i only ever smoke the very best weed "...yea right pal..mixed with tobacco .
    other people will tell you other ways. the worst is speed drying of any kind.
    the hard bit is leaving it wrapped up .
  • Options
    Thanks for the very informed and useful reply, morrocan roll! Can I ask you a few more questions?

Firstly, when I put the plant in the pillowcase, should it be hung upside down in a cool or warm place? Likewise the bud wrapped in the newspaper?

I understand that the bud is the cream but would I trim the small leaves that grow in and around the bud (mine are covered in what looks like resin crystals) and smoke those with the twigs etc or would I leave them with the bud themselves? (I like the idea of smoking the twigs and leaves as tobacco by the way)

I've read a few opinions on when the best time to harvest from when the hairy stamen on the bud are partially turning orange
    through to when they are completely orange. Would you mind me asking your informed opinion, from experience, as to when you find is the best time is to harvest?

Many thanks in advance for your kind help.
  • Options
    Are you using soil ? Or something like perlite?

Are you using any chemicals to assist growth ?

If so I would stop using them and give the plant water only for the last couple of weeks as this will flush out the chemicals and give your weed a much nicer cleaner taste.

The way I have seen drying done by a mate is to get 2 sheets of net curtain and sandwich them in there so this allows plenty of air in and no bugs ! :)

As Mr Roll says dont get greedy and wait as long as you can before smoking making sure its dry enough but not too dry.

:cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by CRAZYREDEYES
    Are you using soil ? Or something like perlite?

Are you using any chemicals to assist growth ?

If so I would stop using them and give the plant water only for the last couple of weeks as this will flush out the chemicals and give your weed a much nicer cleaner taste.

The way I have seen drying done by a mate is to get 2 sheets of net curtain and sandwich them in there so this allows plenty of air in and no bugs ! :)

As Mr Roll says dont get greedy and wait as long as you can before smoking making sure its dry enough but not too dry.

:cool:

Thanks for your message ... I'm using potting soil and the only chemicals I've used is plant food for vegetables and fruit etc but I'm just using water now. The main big leaves are turning yellow but the bud and the leaves around them are still a healthy green - is that normal?
  • Options
    Doesnt sound right if the leaves are going yellow???

I am not sure on that one have never had that before!

I am not an expert but its getting pretty cold aswell now so if they are outside it might be time to harvest. I am not an expert tho the best thing to do would be to check out some info on the net.

Hope it goes well and roll a fatun for me ! :crazyeyes
  • Options
    no, when iv bought deals before they have contained some yellowy bits, i dunno y, not much help but at least u know that it cant be anything bad now
  • Options
    the yellow on the leaves is a sign of over watering. at this stage in thier life it doesn't matter. over watering when thier young is bad news...you can leave them in a downpour as long as the pot has drainage. i have a lot of outsiders at the mo which will be harvested at different times. some has already been taken out.
    some i will judge and gamble on the weather. it will still be good shit.
    at the mo i have four sites left growing...two have been sold as seen.....they harvest it. they dont get to see where it is until i say so...same people year after year. i prepare the soil and visit occasionaly.......different sites each year. people phone..i watch through binoculars from afar.
    last week two of my fave people turned up ..agreed a price for the standing crop.......they filled a transit van with plants. packed tight kinda filled. curing is down to them. harvesting is down to them. i'm free and clear.
    check out internet sites. different advice. choose. watch the weather. try and predict..are we gonna have a late warm sunny period or are we gonna have early frosts.
    in north wales the weather has been brill this last few weeks but the evenings...they feel and taste very autumny kind of.
    all mine will be gone in 2 weeks. those in pots that can be moved around to follow the sun and taken indoors at night...you could push till the end of october...maybe.
  • Options
    how much are you getting for yourself then morrocan?
  • Options
    Originally posted by duffy_2k
    how much are you getting for yourself then morrocan?
    duffy i pm'd you but forgot until i got the warning...your message is to long....blahhhh so you only got 1/2 a message mate.
  • Options
    ah well lol
  • Options
    I'm use to indoor which is pretty regulated. Different strains will vary as far as the best time to harvest but usually its time when the hairs on the bud have turned red. Then we would cut the plant at the base and take little trimmers and trim off all the leaves to the buds. Then we would dissasemble the plants into moderate size portions always living a fork in the branches for hanging. A closet and coat hangers work well. The dryer the room the quicker it dries. You can just hang the different part of the bush on the coat hangers. If you don't use a closet, use an area fairly closed in. It usually takes about a week to dry. Then you cut the buds off the branches with your little trimmers again. You do this before it gets too crisp but still has a little moisture. then put it in baggies. If it has a good bit of moisture and is in baggies sealed for more than a few days it could get moldy. so let it have a little air if its still kinda moist