Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The specific ceasefire between US and Iraq

http://daccess-ods.un.org/doc/RESOLUTION/GEN/NR0/596/22/IMG/NR059622.pdf?OpenElement

after much digging around I found that it was resolution 686 and not 687 that concerned the actual ceasefire.
I hope that Greenhat can tell me if this is the right one, took me bloody ages of digging around the UN archives.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Having looked at them both, I think they form a continuous document..in that 687 forms part of the ceasefire agreed, giving the actual deatil of what is expected. Its 687 which refers to Iraqs WMD for example...
  • Options
    I think 686 is generally what will happen if Iraq dares to break the ceasefire at the time and any future sanctions that are passed, enabling the UN to create new ones depending on the situation.
  • Options
    I doubt you will find the Ceasefire on the net.

It was signed on 3 March, 1991 at Safwan. The US 1st Infantry Division provided security.

Among those signing the agreement were General Norman Schwartzkopf for the US, General Peter de Billiere for hte UK, Saleh Halaby for Egypt, Lieutenant General Khalid representing Saudi Arabia (there were representatives of all the allied forces), with Lieutenant General Salah Abdoul Mahmoud and Lieutenant General Sultan Hashim Ahmad (Chief of Staff of the Ministry of Defense) representing Iraq.

The UN resolutions followed this agreement, they did not replace it.
  • Options
    The ceasefire being unobtainable means we have to use what we're given.
    The resolution passed, number 686 I believe is the formal ceasefire signed with UN consent.
    If you read it, you'll find lots of clauses e.t.c. involving the cessation of hostilities e.t.c but no mention of WMD which follows in 687