Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Can you do medicine @ uni with no A stars?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
A m8 of mine wants to be a doctor. He got 4 A's in his AS's but has 3 A's, 4 B's, and 2 C's for his GCSE. His parent really want him to be a doctor but an arrogant teacher at his school said that uni will only let people who got A* stars do medicine at uni.

He' become quite upset considering his excellent AS performance consisting of 4 A's (biology, chemistry, business studies, physics). He wanted to go to york or manchester university.

I'd just like any professionals or students with any experience to confirm that he is not able to do medicine with his current GCSE results.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Your friend's teacher is obviously an asshole. Just tell your friend to write a good personal statement and declare his AS Results on his UCAS form and that will probably help him get an interview or something.
  • Options
    I can't imagine uni's take that much attention of GCSE results. I'm sure with those 4 A's at AS, with good predicted grades and with a good personal statement he could get into some of the best uni's there are.

That comment from the teacher is ridiculous. There's plenty of uni's who don't have particularly high standards, and that's why so many people are going to uni's these days. Medicine is a bit different as it does generally require higher grades, but he could still definately do it somewhere.

York and Manchester are both good uni's, but I'd imagine he'd have a pretty good chance of getting an offer, as long as he sends off an impressive UCAS form.
  • Options
    Definitely. I heard they hardly look at GCSE's now. Anyway. All the GSCE's are irrelevant to what you learn in a medical degree so it wouldn't matter....
  • Options
    I would doubt that they would worry about GCSEs as much, They are still important the only thing is a levels tend to overule GCSEs the only time they may be used is when applying for the uni they may look at one persons GCSE results in case of a draw but that is rare. Tell your mate he has nothing to worry about!