Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sixth Form And Moving Out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey you lot, I kinda need advice on this...

Well I'm off to a sixth form college in Wrexham (where I'm currently living) and I'm getting a flat with some mates, y'know, for some freedom, I think it'll do me good...

Rent is only £40, but it's a case of fitting in work with my college hours, I guess that I'll end up with barwork or work in a supermarket...

Just wondering if anyone has advice...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    don't really seem the point of moving out when you are at sixthform. best to wait till uni
  • Options
    What about bills/food/all other expenses? You're going to need a lot more money than £40 a week, at least double that. Plus any job you get will most likely be minimum wage, meaning you'll need to do at least 20 hours of work a week. A lot of work if you are also studying. Plus that does not even count going out and enjoying yourself.
  • Options
    Hey Sel, moving out huh? Well at 18 I think you getting some freedom could be a great move, especially as you're moving in with some mates :)

Advice...well like the others say there are costs...will your parents help out at all? You need to draw up a mini budget, and these articles will help you do just that:

the budget

help with your rent

where the money goes

bills

I'd also ask your college/ LEA whether they have any funds you may be eligible for, as you are no longer living at home. You never know.

eating on the cheap

You want a job that needs little thought, and still allows you to sleep/ have time off to study when you need it (say exam time/ coursework deadlines). Bar work/ shop work will be perfect but don't work all the time (and make sure they pay you the min wage or above) - prioritise your course and your health and make sure you have time for yourself and your mates.

Good Luck!
    Susie :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Susie
    Well at 18

she'll be 16 though if she is about to go into sixthform
  • Options
    Not nec so... see her profile ;)