Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Web design?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How can i create a website without HTML for free. ive seen some places that only offre trials.

Comments

• Options
    Like RNT, said, without HTML, there's no way for a web browser to desplay anything,

If how ever, you want not to have to type HTML yourself, you can use one of the wizards in MS Word and Powerpoint, you just make a nice page like you would any document, then instead of printing it, you save and upload it, and you have a crappy, yet simply site:)
  • Options
    do you mean a site builder that dont need you to actually understand html?
    if so
    Geocities has a nice little pagebuilder that uses a simple drag&drop feature to put you uploaded pics, sounds and whatever else on your page.

another one a friend of mine used is
    cityslide but im not sure if its still working or anything.

hope i gave some help
    Braidsta.
  • Options
    Like that, but frontpage (part of the office suite) will allow you to do far more.
    Its worth noting that it creates very dodgy HTML. Its not that efficeint and can be buggy. Also it will only be optimised for MS explorer and not for other browsers.

What you can do it create some simple sites with it, and study the HTML it creates. From there you can create you own page using the HTML you know, and steal bits of code from other sites to spice up yours.

This is how people have been building websites since the net began....
  • Options
    i used the yahoo geocities site for our club website. it was ver easy to use and it has a great, easy to use interface. the file transfer is good, but does not like uploading .jpeg files, only use .jpg or .gif for pics. check it out!:D U also get 15Mb of FREE (my favourite price ;) ) webspace.

take a look!

www.geocities.com/southendminiactiongroup
  • Options
    i used the yahoo geocities site for our club website. it was ver easy to use and it has a great, easy to use interface. the file transfer is good, but does not like uploading .jpeg files, only use .jpg or .gif for pics. check it out!:D U also get 15Mb of FREE (my favourite price ;) ) webspace.

take a look!

www.geocities.com/southendminiactiongroup
  • Options
    Now that's what I call a quality club :D
  • Options
    thanks matey, made the site myself. U into mini's?:) keep an eye out on the site. pics from donington park mini racing festival from the w/end just gone should be online soon... when i get a spare 3am! lol :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by cokephreak
    Like that, but frontpage (part of the office suite) will allow you to do far more.
    Its worth noting that it creates very dodgy HTML. Its not that efficeint and can be buggy. Also it will only be optimised for MS explorer and not for other browsers.

What you can do it create some simple sites with it, and study the HTML it creates. From there you can create you own page using the HTML you know, and steal bits of code from other sites to spice up yours.

This is how people have been building websites since the net began....

I kinda agree. Frontpage is quite good to learn with, switching between normal and code view to see what's behind the scenes.
    I tend to turn off a lot of it's 'features' for auto formatting my code though. It's a good file manager and basic editor.
    Dreamweaver is the bigger more expensive choice, but from what I've seen it makes lots of crap code. Horses for courses I suppose.
    Freeserve have a simple site builder and also give free 15MB I think.
    On a personal note I'd say 'learn html' and use it as your weapon. It's a fairly simple structured thing and you can easily learn from example. I've picked up all I know from seeing how other people have done stuff.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pugwash69

I kinda agree. Frontpage is quite good to learn with, switching between normal and code view to see what's behind the scenes.
    I tend to turn off a lot of it's 'features' for auto formatting my code though. It's a good file manager and basic editor.
    Dreamweaver is the bigger more expensive choice, but from what I've seen it makes lots of crap code. Horses for courses I suppose.
    Freeserve have a simple site builder and also give free 15MB I think.
    On a personal note I'd say 'learn html' and use it as your weapon. It's a fairly simple structured thing and you can easily learn from example. I've picked up all I know from seeing how other people have done stuff.

Of all the design packages I've used, Dreamweaver has been by far the best. Yes, it can sometimes produce ratty code, but then so do most other WYSIWYG HTML editors.

The main reason I prefer Dreamweaver is its power and its ability to integrate other languages (PHP, XML etc). It's also good for writing XHTML-standard documents, which are becoming more and more popular with developers since XML became so big.

CD :cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by CodeDragon

Of all the design packages I've used, Dreamweaver has been by far the best. Yes, it can sometimes produce ratty code, but then so do most other WYSIWYG HTML editors.

The main reason I prefer Dreamweaver is its power and its ability to integrate other languages (PHP, XML etc). It's also good for writing XHTML-standard documents, which are becoming more and more popular with developers since XML became so big.

CD :cool:

Dreamweaver 4 ? or MX ??

MX's code has been tightened a lot, and this product is going to go on to be a benchmark for all other editors to come along to.

Frontpage is easier to pick up but throws in so much garbage code it can in some case add up to a 1/3rd to much html than actually required.

Back to MX though, the Dreamweaver MX is tabbed to make life easier, and it's so much easier to play with, intergrating PHP, XML, Stylesheets etc is much easier, and now intergrates with Flash and Fireworks MX a whole lot easier.

In answer to Devils question, to have a site without learning too much, you can either use a CMS (Content Management System) (EZContents is pretty straighforward to learn) or use a portal style program, (PHP Nuke is good and easy to configure)

But as Mr Pugwash says, learn the basics of HTML it is an easy language to learn and makes life a whole lot easier :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by The MIB

Dreamweaver 4 ? or MX ??

3, 4 UltraDev and MX. I'll admit that MX's interface is a lot better than previous incarnations though.

CD
  • Options
    I agree with Pugwash regarding learning HTML.
    I have created 3 poxy sites this way - I think the on-line art gallery I created for my dads oil paintings not being too bad.

I have recently "acquired" Dreamweaver MX, but not yet had the chance to try it out. When I do, I will probably redesign the above mentioned site.
  • Options
    I use Frontpage 2000 - it's the first program I became familiar with and it does what I need it to do. I've had the chance to use Dreamweaver, but I'm lazy and I'd rather stick to what I know. :)

I should really learn HTML at some point too. ;)
  • Options
    have a look at webmonkey theres loads of advice on everything from basic web site design to which tool is *best*.
  • Options
    One idea might be to learn HTML and download textpad. Its like Notepad only it has sections of miscellaneous code that you can drop in to your document, meaning you need to understand HTML but it saves you typing it all in yourself.

Its not a WYSIWYG so HTML knowledge is required.
  • Options
    You might want to start with a Page Builder, but trust me, you can do so much more with HTML and it's very simple to learn.

Geocities
    Some nice page builders, free, user friendly.

Angelfire
    Free again, simple to use, lots of added extras and pagebuilders. Lots of ads though.

Learn HTML. You can do so much more. Funky Chickens makes learning HTML so quick and easy, and if you get really stuck, just copy and paste.
  • Options
    Amen to that.. HTML is a doddle.. there is precious little to it.

And ....

When you feel like learning more there is CSS, Jscript, DHTML,
    XHTML, XML and CGI.

My problem is that although I know all this stuff, I have very little to say.. it'd just be a set of links to all sorts of pages.
  • Options
    I think the main issue here is whether you want to actually go into web design and do a proper job, or just want something to stick online to show your friends.

All of the pagebuilders mentioned are fine if the latter is true, but I DEFINATELY would not advise anyone to use word or powerpoint because the code they churn out is AWFUL!!

Personally I would suggest taking the time to learn HTML, get a book from the library or read online documents. Thats the way I did it, but then I am the hippgeek!

By far my favourite product is Dreaweaver, I'm currently using UltraDev 4. The only problems I've found with the code it produces is a lot of <div> and <span> tags that I don't really want, and lots of new <p>s and some odd things happening in tables. I also use PHP and find Dreamweaver deals with this better than anything else.

I have in the past been known to design pages using only notepad, but unless you format your code PROPERLY, things can get very confusing, and pretty impossible for a newbie.

Good luck to anyone going into web design. When done properly,its a very challenging but rewarding pastime!
  • Options
    YEUCH Dreamweaver :-(*)...

Worth remembering is that indenting HTML like a good boyscout will add some small time to the download and also to the rendering of the page, HTML parsers don't seem to like that much unnecessary whitespace YMMV.

I'd advocate using XML notepad and generating good XHTML then run the program through a de-linting program. XML notepad is free and from Microsoft.