Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mmmmmm... Cheeeeeesy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Simple question:

What to do about ingrown toenails? Other than an operation...

Comments

• Options
    not a great deal you can do without seeing a chiropodist first.

I had to have both big toenails removed, along with a large chunk of flesh from under them, because i left it too long and my toes got infected to the point of me having to be on sickleave from work for a couple of months as I couldnt put ANY weight on my feet.

I have never felt pain like it, thanks to the nails growing down and through the bottom of my toes.

Seriously, go see about it before it gets too bad.
  • Options
    Re: Mmmmmm... Cheeeeeesy
    Originally posted by Mindless all the way
    Simple question:

What to do about ingrown toenails? Other than an operation...

Simple answer, not much. You will probably have to get it removed, there really isn't much else (if anything) that can be done I am afraid, although every time my friend goes to have his removed they send him home telling him it isn't quite long enough yet (!!!). Hmmm. :confused:
  • Options
  • Options
    oooooo, i didnt know you had factsheets.

i wonder what else you have.....

: waddles off, exploring the site :
  • Options
    I used to have one, it kinda went away after i cut it a little bit with toe nail clippers. But my friend went to the doctors and her cut hers off for her, so maybe thats the beter idea.
  • Options
    *shudders* Hate the things.

I had one and someone landed on my foot at netball and i ended up having to have a chiropodist remove the nail and ingrown one.
    Won't go into detail but it involved four needles in my big toe and 15 mins of pain :(

note for self: always look after your tootsies and save yourself pain.
  • Options
    Ha! The operation is nothing. You barely notice when they stick the needles in so deep that they feel as if they will come out of the other side of your toe! ;):D
  • Options
    *grins*

I'm glad that's sarcasm because you had me worried there when you said "the operations nothing".

So it wasn't just me that thought the needles hurt like fuck :)
  • Options
    :( *shudders at the subject*

i had the operation twice because they didnt do it properly the first time. it hurts like hell (th op) but so does having it ingrown-id reccomend the op though...

Good Luck
    luv
    Char
    xxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    I got diagnosed as having one of these and was on and off anti-biotics for about a year before the 6th docter I saw about it realised that it wasnt an ingrowing toe nail after all! Bastards!

Now I'm on a cream because its ecsma, not sure how to spell that, my advice, make sure it is an ingrowing toe nail before you have to op.
  • Options
    And if those last two posts don't put you off, I don't know what will!