Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The pill again...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi
Wondered if anyone could help me, ive been on the pill 2months now but im still a bit unsure of the answers to some questions even though ive read everything i can about it.
Yesterday i had sex with my boyf, but last night i totally forgot to take my pill. I did manage to get it 11 hours late, so because i took it late does this mean that the chances of me getting pregnant yesterday are higher? i know itd be far too early to get a pregnancy test. I just wondered whether it would be best to get the morning after pill or do you think i will be ok?
Thanks for any advice
xxx

Comments

• Options
    It shouldn't matter too much about the sex you had before you missed the pill, it would be any sex afterwards. You have a constant level of hormones in your body from taking the pill, so by missing one/taking it late, that should just dip a bit making sex for the next 7 days a bit risky.

I wouldn't worry too much, use a condoms for the next 7 days as a precaution until your levels go back to normal.

This is all dependant however on whether your on the normal pill or the mini - as if it is the mini it would be slightly more serious
  • Options
    I think the pill is not effective if taken up to 12 hours late so you may be protected.

There is some information Here which may help

:)
  • Options
    I dont think it has a cut off point, more that the later you take it the less effective it will be.
  • Options
    Did your doctor not give u a leaftlet when u went in? Go back and get one cos they're really handy. It tells you exactly what to do if you miss a pill, cos it's there's more risk from missing pills on certain days of the month. They usually just have the leaflets in the waiting area so you don't have to go in and ask or anything.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Deeeeb
    I think the pill is not effective if taken up to 12 hours late so you may be protected.

Deeeeb is right :) You can take it up to 12 hours late, but no more than that.
  • Options
    All pill packets have leaflets in them, don't they? Mine do as I'm constantly throwing them away (I keep one in case I forget something).
    Hehe, it took me a while to understand exactly how the 7-day rule worked and then suddenly clicked. My brain wasn't working that day. But in that bit it tells you that contraceptive protection shouldn't be affected if it's twelve hours late or less.

Read through the leaflet or get one from your doctors. Actually they have them on the net if you search about a bit. You'll be much more relaxed if you realise how the pill works, what to do if you take them late, etc.

• Options
    It doesn't just stop working instantly though, it isn't like a light switch.
    The levels of hormones will start to diminish AFTER 12 hours, so the chance isn't 100% of pregnancy till later. It just increases from 0.1%
  • Options
    Thanx for all ya advice,youve certainly put my mind at ease! Thanx again x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    It doesn't just stop working instantly though, it isn't like a light switch.
    The levels of hormones will start to diminish AFTER 12 hours, so the chance isn't 100% of pregnancy till later. It just increases from 0.1%

Ooo, never really thought about that before :)
  • Options
    All pill packets have leaflets in them, don't they? Mine do as I'm constantly throwing them away (I keep one in case I forget something).
    Hehe, it took me a while to understand exactly how the 7-day rule worked and then suddenly clicked. My brain wasn't working that day. But in that bit it tells you that contraceptive protection shouldn't be affected if it's twelve hours late or less.

Read through the leaflet or get one from your doctors. Actually they have them on the net if you search about a bit. You'll be much more relaxed if you realise how the pill works, what to do if you take them late, etc.
  • Options
    Why did you just post exactly the same thing as Daisy?
    :confused: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Perhaps daisy has a personal echo. :p
  • Options
    *giggles* I thought all that was familiar...